• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

habanero?

So... bought these today at a local store ... the sign said it is Habanero from Dominican Republic ... the check said it "Antilles peppers" which is Caribbean ... so....

the pics...
01.jpg

02.jpg

is this Habanero Caribbean Red or some other sort?

I am gonna say this is a Tobago Habanero, I buy these as well.  I think any Congo type habanero is gonna be much bigger at least its what I think.  How is the heat on these? 

I swear the more you look at chili's, the more they start to look like each other.  lol

Heat .. is .... like this ....

the fruit is not very fresh, as you can see by the pictures .. it could be a week or maybe even two weeks old ... depends on the transportation I guess...

i just ate the first half of it .. withoust seeds (i collected them for next years season) ... and I have to say that my tounge and lips are burning .... not much the mouth itself .. i feel the heat in the stomach now after 5 min .. but nothing serious ... it is hotter than goatsweed in my opinion, maybe some of freshly picked goatsweeds with seeds could compare to this ... i'm gonna eat one whole fruit later and see the much more real picture of what it can do....

It is possible it could be a Congo, its just the time of season so they may be smaller do to that reason. Also the very top left and right chile do look like a Congo shape, the others not so much. 

I know there is a thread on this forum talking about Tobago Habanero's which speaks of 3 different varieties.  A varirty with great heat and others with mild heat. 

Wouldnt it be great if they just provided a name when they sold them!  Retail at its finest

I suspect this is Adjoema (sometimes spelled Aji Uma, or Ajoema), indiginous to Suriname.

Since Suriname was a Dutch colony, and the Antilles are still part of the kingdom of the Netherlands, there is a fair chance that this strain migrated from Suriname to the Antilles. 

Adjoemas should not be, but are often confused with another Surinamese strain, the Madame Jeanette, which a bit more elongated and curved. 

For comparison, here's some Adjoema pics. 

https://www.vreeken.nl/2007/pages/web_zaden.php?page=web_zaden_detail&zoekwoord=209440

i dont know, I'm really not sure because of the size ... these are 3 to 4 cm long and about 4 cm wide ... and all of them (they had a very large box) in the store looked about the same in size

I guess they really look more like Adjoema than any other ones .. but such resemblance confuses me :rolleyes:

p.s.: I tried and ate one entire pepper and it destroyed me for 10 mins straight ...tears, burning throat .. woooooohoooo ... hot indeed ... but good ... well I'm not used to handle well very hot peppers yet

The size would agree with adjoema's, at least the ones that are being sold here as being adjoemas. 

I talked to some Surinamese colleagues and they said the taste is not the same as it used to be. 

Some vendors told me they get their peppers from Uganda, Ghana and the Dominican Republic, NOT from Suriname.

They are just being sold as Adjoemas or Madame Jeanettes because those names are familiar here (more so than habanero).

But it's getting pretty confusing and difficult to determine which are real adjoemas and which aren't.

I get the same ones and they are marked as red scotch bonnets. My local clerk showed me the box and packing list.
The seeds are viable and I have been growing them for several years now.

Adjoema / Adjuma/ Aji Umba :

jeanette56.jpg

Madame Jeanette : 
madame-jeanette1.jpg

The adjoema's are more bulbous in shape, while the Madame Jeanettes are longer and more curvy. 

Obviously there must be many hybrids and crosses between both strains. 

Story has it the Madame Jeanette was named after a Surinamese lady of the night. 

I guess she must have been pretty hot   :)

I planted five seeds of this pepper on 17th and much to my surprise already saw one hook today... so it sprouted in 10 days ... is this even possible I thought it takes more time in everage for chinenses to sprout than annums....

tsurrie said:
I planted five seeds of this pepper on 17th and much to my surprise already saw one hook today... so it sprouted in 10 days ... is this even possible I thought it takes more time in everage for chinenses to sprout than annums....

I have had some Chinense seeds pop in 4-5 days while I have had others take up until 2.5 months to germinate.  You get lucky every once in awhile.  ;)

Buzzman19 said:

I have had some Chinense seeds pop in 4-5 days while I have had others take up until 2.5 months to germinate.  You get lucky every once in awhile.  ;)

good then :) ..I'll consider myself lucky .. maybe this one will also be able to produce a few pods in the autumn.... I hope so
(maybe the other four will take forever to pop ... we'll see ...)

so... saw another hook a few days ago.. two up for now, three out of five still under :)

that's how the first sprout of my Adjoema looks today...
ajiumba.jpg

I'm gonna cover this further on my glog, since this is an i.d. section..... ok, see ya there....

Back