• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Sushi rolls, Mexican style w/ chiles toreados

We made some Mexican style sushi rolls tonight. I know it's not authentic Japanese, but this is how we do it, lol. I went to Japan in 2002 for the world cup and discovered how different and plain their traditional sushi is compared to most North American Japanese cuisine. If I go to a good sushi restaurant like they have in Austin, I usually get a chirashi. I guess it's like coming from Mexico and being served Tex-Mex for the 1st time,  thick flour tortilla with yellow cheese and heavy cumin flavor red salsa, culture shock hahaha. This is what Japanese must think of our "sushi" rolls. 

Most people like my dad use wasabi, he eats it like guacamole. I'm not a big fan of the wasabi-horseradish flavor so I dip with chiles toreados. There are many ways to make chiles toreados, this is how I like them for sushi rolls.  Thinly coat a sauce pan with vegetable oil under medium-high heat and add some hot jalapeños, cover with lid. Move around every couple of minutes to scorch the skin of the peppers evenly. Once cooked and nicely blackened but not burned, take out and let cool. I slice the peppers, put them in a bowl and add about 3 parts soy sauce to 1 part lime juice, I go by taste. Sometimes I add fresh minced ginger, not today. 
wwaxp2.jpg

I really like sunomono salad with spicy tuna poke mix. I just look at all the recipes on line and pick my favorite ingredients and came up with my recipe and then add some real heat to it. I used frozen ahi tuna from Costco that has never made me sick. Cubed the tuna and added to taste: mayo, sriracha, sesame oil, pink salt, soy sauce, minced green onion and some canned Chinese red peppers I got at the Asian market that really make the dish. Very hot and tasty, have to be careful how much I add so other folks can enjoy it. Prepare the cucumber by salting and squeezing excess liquid and I also add wakame seaweed. The dressing is a simple rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, minced ginger mix. I'm very bad at taking picks, but it tastes very good!
2ikbk3k.jpg

m8nxbc.jpg

These are the hot chinese peppers that make the tuna poke mix to my liking,
o0z7kh.jpg

And finally some rolls. We have phily roll (smoked salmon, cream cheese, avocado, cucumber), spicy tuna roll, fried shrimp roll, california roll. We try different flavor combinations every time with masago, eel sauce, mayo-sriracha or mayo-chipotle sauce. And let the kids pick their combos too. And we also fry some up tempura style. I will call this Jap-Mex, I hope no Japanese folks are offended by these dishes, lol. I am a true admirer of Japanese culture and history.
28tb61z.jpg

20s7vxd.jpg

2preckx.jpg

mjq1c2.jpg

My sister is the one with the sweet tooth and made some nutella, strawberry, pecan crepes for desert. I will eat light tomorrow,
30vdwno.jpg

Fried sushi rolls are chingon!

And torreados is comfort food where I come from.

Back in the days working in kitchen me and my Mexican compadre's would always 2 or 3 right in the deep fryer for each of us when eating a crew meal.

I dig the sauce you made with them.

Hey and since you're from not one but 2 famous food towns, your next post should be either Nachos or Puffy Tacos por favor.

I'm bettin' you can cook up some real fine Tex-Mex and authentic Mexican.

I hate making tempura rolls at work.  i wish people would order other shit.  Nice work on those, your batter is a little to thick though.

jedisushi06 said:
I hate making tempura rolls at work.  i wish people would order other shit.  

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Please don't spit in my food.

Oh and I'll take 3 extra orders of tempura rolls.

To Go!

Get on it.

Wow...very nice looking rolls!  They look a LOT like some of the rolls at my favorite sushi (Latin fusion) restaurant in Seattle called Japonessa ( They do a lot with hots and super hots, including ghost infused tobiko.  Love that kind of stuff!!! 

Oh, and you get 7 extra points for the bottle of Rioja in the picture.  Whats more natural with Spanish/Japanese fusion food than a good Spanish wine?

texas blues said:

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Please don't spit in my food.

Oh and I'll take 3 extra orders of tempura rolls.

To Go!

Get on it.
Vegas rolls kill me! We do a Vegas roll with salmon avocado and cream cheese tempura fried with unagi sauce and spicy mayo. A dirty Vegas is blackened tuna avocado cream cheese tempura fried with jalapeño teriyaki sauce. Should never have created those two! Just kidding people fucking love em!!!

texas blues said:

I dig the sauce you made with them.

Hey and since you're from not one but 2 famous food towns, your next post should be either Nachos or Puffy Tacos por favor.

I'm bettin' you can cook up some real fine Tex-Mex and authentic Mexican.

Yeah, toreados are as common as salsa in Torreon. The soy sauce ones go good with a lot of things. My grandma is from Piedras and knew the original Nacho, lol. And when I was bar tending through college in SA I met Henry Jr a few times, Puffy Tacos, what a great name ahahah. 

jedisushi06 said:
I hate making tempura rolls at work.  i wish people would order other shit.  Nice work on those, your batter is a little to thick though.

I'm not a big fan of the fried rolls either, but everyone in my family loves them and in Mexico they're very popular, all have cream cheese and eel sauce off course, lol. My brother in law makes them, I think he's still getting the hang of it. At least this time they weren't soggy, nice and crispy.

turbo said:
Wow...very nice looking rolls!  They look a LOT like some of the rolls at my favorite sushi (Latin fusion) restaurant in Seattle called Japonessa ( They do a lot with hots and super hots, including ghost infused tobiko.  Love that kind of stuff!!! 

Oh, and you get 7 extra points for the bottle of Rioja in the picture.  Whats more natural with Spanish/Japanese fusion food than a good Spanish wine?

Thanks, that sounds delicious. Japonessa is my kind of place. I'm not a wine connoisseur but was at costco looking around and saw a dude buying a whole case of the Rioja so I asked him if it was good. He said for the price of $10 it's hard to beat, so I got a few bottles. Tasted good to me. The town I'm from Torreon is in the desert, but about an hour away half way to Saltillo the climate totally changes  and there's a  picturesque oasis town called Parras home to the oldest wineries in Mexico, so we always had cheap decent wine in Torreon. 

jedisushi06 said:
Vegas rolls kill me! We do a Vegas roll with salmon avocado and cream cheese tempura fried with unagi sauce and spicy mayo. A dirty Vegas is blackened tuna avocado cream cheese tempura fried with jalapeño teriyaki sauce. Should never have created those two! Just kidding people f**king love em!!!

You shouldna' mentioned the unagi.

mrs. blues and I are addicted.

It's crack.

And we're both whores for that sheeit!

The sushi joint here makes a Seamless Roll like your Vegas Roll, but with crab and fried.

Its killer!

Back