• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests bug id

Look like fungus nats to me.  They have larvae in the soil that eat the roots of the plants if they are what I think.

They are a pain in the ass to get rid of if that is what they are.  Do a search through the list as there was a recent topic that detailed the procedures to break the breeding cycle.

randyp said:
    I will have them on monday.For the time being I will keep moving my yellow stickies around to catch the adults and make myself feel better. :rolleyes:
The yellow stickies work great for the adults. I had an infestation in my greenhouse, hung a few of the sticky fly traps up in there and caught nearly every adult flying around.

I hate sticky traps!

Not that they don't work....

They are ALWAYS in the way when I water or mess with my plants.
From my elbow down I have no hair on my arms when I use them.

When I try and move them BEFORE I mess with my starts,they are leaf magnets too.
Get within a couple inches of a plant and a leaf or 2 are stuck.
Resistance if futile.
If you don't just rip off the stuck leaves from the plant you just stick more leaves from other plants to them.
If you don't screw up a few starts,your forearms will be either sticky or hairless.

As a side note,I have a beard too...it hangs an easy 6 inches below my chin,and growing. LOL
My hair is mid back length + too.
Stickies have a blood lust for hair...

Go bio control.Poisons kill the good guys too.

A great source for data,tech bulletins.

http://www.tiptopbio.com/tech_bulletins.html

geeme said:
Check out buglogical.com for beneficial nematodes if you don't want to bring out the heavy hitters just yet. 
This  ^

People think poisoning there soil is the way to go with fungus gnats, but what about all the beneficials that make soil so good? the majority of plant food in the wild comes from bugs and their frass (crap.) Take that away and you now need to supplement. Its basically breaking the system you are trying to fix.

We will give the nematodes a shot,I have them coming the same day as my dunks.It does not look like I have a large problem but I want to nip it in the bud. :)

Ok got my nematodes,how do you mix this stuff up to use on my plants?The only directions on the box use a sprayer for the lawn for application.Need to get this mixed in gallon batches for my indoor plants.
View attachment 10537

randyp said:
       Ok got my nematodes,how do you mix this stuff up to use on my plants?The only directions on the box use a sprayer for the lawn for application.Need to get this mixed in gallon batches for my indoor plants.

Here's a link to the pdf, if your dog is done using it as a chew toy :D

miguelovic said:

Here's a link to the pdf, if you dog is done using it as a chew toy :D
   That little sob waits for me to set something down and snatches it to take to his dog house.I have found anything from socks to flashlights hidden in there.Thanks for the link. ;)

Back