• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Canning peppers WITHOUT a waterbath

Vinegar brines only, where PH is 4.0 or lower.....

Would like to get some opinions on this. I have been canning for about 11 years, most everything I've learned about canning has come from my Grandma, but all literature I have read tells me that her methods are incorrect.  The results however speak for themselves, so i continue to follow her guidlines and it has never steered me wrong. She tells me that this is how she has always done it and her mom taught her and she never had any problems.

In short, she says that so long as the jar seals it is safe.--(for vinegar brines only) 

In my early years I followed the waterbath method as suggested by the canning companies. I only had successfull results when it came to "hard" vegtables...whole cucumbers, whole okra, beets, carrots, etc. When I followed these guidlines for pickle spears, peppers, zuccinni they would always, I mean always come out as mush. No amount of alum, calcium chloride you add will help when you add boiling water to a jar of peppers and then waterbath it for times listed on high altitude. In my findings peppers cannot withstand that amount of heat for that long and still be crunchy.  All my attempts were failures. But when I just fill the jar with boiling brine and twisted on the lid and cap, and omited the water bath it always came out crisp and tasty, never have problems with the jar sealing.

It was kinda a trial and error thing for me in the begining, (for peppers anyway) but for the past 4-5 I have just disregaurded the recommendations of the canning experts and trusted my grandma and have had succesful results every time. I continue to follow the recommended guidlines for water bath for everything I can/process, except pickle spears/chips, and peppers. I will process everything else in a waterbath because I have found that it is more of a heat thing, for example, when you fill a jar with whole pickles and then dump boiling brine on them the cold cucumbers absorb so much heat that the jar will just not seal. Also if I am able to follow the recomended guidlines and get good results I will. I have not come across any problems yet but I do have common sense so if a jar looks/smells bad I wouldnt eat it. I also take the bands off my jars and if i were to find a lid that has popped it would get tossed too.

It seems that companies now days will take everything to the extreme to err on the side of caution, whether it be fear of being sued, or in this case because this is the only way you can be 100% absolutly sure that the lids will seal everytime. As I said earlier this is how it has been done in my family for some time, before the interwebs and such.

Here is how I can/process peppers
1. Clean peppers
2. Put all jars, lids, bands in pot and bring to boil + 1 extra lid
3. Cut pepper rings or slits in whole peppers (so brine can reach inside)
4. Pull jar, lid and band out of boiling water and put on clean towel
5. Pack jar full of peppers
6. pour boiling brine over peppers
7. put the "extra lid" and band on and shake jar really good--this will get the brine inside the peppers and remove air pockets
8. take lid off and fill with brine to 1/2" from top
9. put a new lid and band on a set aside for lids to seal.
Repeat as needed

I know that others have had similar problems with peppers specifically, and am curious to see what they have done
Also is "as long as the lids seals your good" a correct statement?
Is anyone else canning without a waterbath?

I too have struggled with mushy peppers BB.  As a result I've stopped canning them.  Now we'll ferment or freeze or dry them instead.  The peppers to be fermented are halved and then mixed with whatever brine we've got going at the time.  4-7 days at room temp and then off to the fridge.  Great taste, but even better a solid crunch!  About the only thing we water bath can anymore are tomatoes and tomato sauce.  Everything else just ends up gross.

Beerbreath thats the exact same method I use for pickling my peppers and never had a problem...I just cut into rings instead to make sure there is absolutly no air.
I have never had a jar go bad yet and I only make enough to get through until my next pepper season....so the only sit for less than a year.

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

When I pepper jelly they do go for a 1o minute boil after being filled.

IMG_2239.jpg

I have the food saver attachment that removes all the air and seals. It does say it is for dry goods only. I have tried your method with my Thai cucumber salad but I do not store at room temp and they keep in fridge for about 6 months. 

SmokenFire said:
I too have struggled with mushy peppers BB.  As a result I've stopped canning them.  Now we'll ferment or freeze or dry them instead.  The peppers to be fermented are halved and then mixed with whatever brine we've got going at the time.  4-7 days at room temp and then off to the fridge.  Great taste, but even better a solid crunch!  About the only thing we water bath can anymore are tomatoes and tomato sauce.  Everything else just ends up gross.
Your not alone SF, many people that I know have given up on canning all together because of mushy results. I too like to ferment and I suppose its an alternative, but its good to have a stockpile of canned peppers that you can open at a moments notice. I have tried and tried to make the water bath work on my peppers but it never did.  I have been using this method for the last 4-5 years and my results always come out great

Sizzle Lips said:
Beerbreath thats the exact same method I use for pickling my peppers and never had a problem...I just cut into rings instead to make sure there is absolutly no air.
I have never had a jar go bad yet and I only make enough to get through until my next pepper season....so the only sit for less than a year.

When I pepper jelly they do go for a 1o minute boil after being filled.
Good to know I'm not alone, although I believe it would be shelf stable for longer than one season, I generally only make enough for one season, usually its never enough though. I know there are some that will say these are irrisponsible practices not following USDA guidlines to properly process food stuffs. Every year I have that little guy on my shoulder telling me "na, it be ok" combined that with what I do know about PH levels, temps, and sealed environment....it makes sense to me that ya it will be ok so long as it stays sealed. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I have the food saver attachment that removes all the air and seals. It does say it is for dry goods only. I have tried your method with my Thai cucumber salad but I do not store at room temp and they keep in fridge for about 6 months. 
Confused? your not using the food saver attachment as a canning method are you? I think I saw your cucumber salad recipe on here and as thin as your cutting them slices they would for sure end up as mush in a waterbath IMO

I should check the ph of my brine next time I do a batch of peppers.....my method is as follows....

Brine....
3 cups vinegar and I use the 7% acidic pickling vinegar
1 cup water
1/4 sugar

1.I bring to a boil and let simmer
2.Boil jars and rings 15 minutes
3.Soak lids with the rubber seal in warm water
4.Rinse and slice peppers into rings
5.Spoon peppers into jar,fill with simmering brine and gently use a spoon to squeeze out any trapped air.
6.top with more peppers and brine leaving a 1/4 head space and seal.

Store in a cool dark shelf until needed.

BB and Sizzle, you are both doing a modified Hot Pack.  BB didn't post the brine recipe, but if it's like Sizzle's it's fine.  With the meticulous process of boiling the jars, heated brine, high vinegar ratio, slicing or at least slitting open the pods so the brine gets all the way in (and then sloshing the jars to make sure it DOES get into the pods), all those little details are important to the safe product and the success you have.

Usually, I'm in the "just because Gramma did it that way for 40 years and never got sick doesn't make it safe" camp.  But in this case, you guys are doing it right.  Part of the reason the FDA and Extension Services mandate to BWB everything is because people skip steps or don't have enough vinegar, etc.  BWB pretty much just make it almost for sure safe.  

I ended up with about 80 pounds of jalapenos last fall that I had to do something with, so I made a bunch of cold-packed Pickled Peppers using the same basic recipe and process of you guys.  I was able to sell them as a cold-packed refrigerated product, no way the "powers that be" would of let them go out as Shelf Stable without BWB.  :rolleyes:  Whatever, luckily my local market has room in their Gourmet Foods cold case, so it worked out. 

I think Joyners was saying he vac-seals the cuke salad and then keeps it in the refer for up to 6 months. 

I don't do the water baths for my peppers either. I've found adding ball pickle crisp (atleast I think that's what it's called, you can find it in the canning section) helps keep them crisp.

Sizzle Lips said:
I should check the ph of my brine next time I do a batch of peppers.....my method is as follows....

Brine....
3 cups vinegar and I use the 7% acidic pickling vinegar
1 cup water
1/4 sugar

1.I bring to a boil and let simmer
2.Boil jars and rings 15 minutes
3.Soak lids with the rubber seal in warm water
4.Rinse and slice peppers into rings
5.Spoon peppers into jar,fill with simmering brine and gently use a spoon to squeeze out any trapped air.
6.top with more peppers and brine leaving a 1/4 head space and seal.

Store in a cool dark shelf until needed.
Yup, I should say that I use step 5 on pepper rings to get the air out too and the slit and shake method I describe for whole pods.

salsalady said:
BB and Sizzle, you are both doing a modified Hot Pack.  BB didn't post the brine recipe, but if it's like Sizzle's it's fine.  With the meticulous process of boiling the jars, heated brine, high vinegar ratio, slicing or at least slitting open the pods so the brine gets all the way in (and then sloshing the jars to make sure it DOES get into the pods), all those little details are important to the safe product and the success you have.

Usually, I'm in the "just because Gramma did it that way for 40 years and never got sick doesn't make it safe" camp.  But in this case, you guys are doing it right.  Part of the reason the FDA and Extension Services mandate to BWB everything is because people skip steps or don't have enough vinegar, etc.  BWB pretty much just make it almost for sure safe.  

I ended up with about 80 pounds of jalapenos last fall that I had to do something with, so I made a bunch of cold-packed Pickled Peppers using the same basic recipe and process of you guys.  I was able to sell them as a cold-packed refrigerated product, no way the "powers that be" would of let them go out as Shelf Stable without BWB.  :rolleyes:  Whatever, luckily my local market has room in their Gourmet Foods cold case, so it worked out. 

I think Joyners was saying he vac-seals the cuke salad and then keeps it in the refer for up to 6 months. 
Ann,
I was hoping youd make a stop here and voice your expertise. I have the pickle recipe from grandma written down somewhere, cant remeber it of hand exactly, but for peppers I use this one for vinegar/water/salt ratio (i will modify seasonings, add tumeric for color, or add fresh dill on some is all). I like vinegar, and these ratios have given me consistant results and the closest I have ever come to replicating store bought pepper brine.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/yellow_pepper_rings.html

I am in the same camp you mention above, and it has been grinding on me for that reason alone, that is why I wanted to get this out and get some thoughts on it. Also let all who are interested know that there is hope when it comes to canning peppers, and let them decide if they want to follow or not by skipping the water bath.

On the literature side, most if not all of my info comes from the National Canning Institute for those who are interested here is a free e-book with some good info...
http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/usda/GUIDE%201%20Home%20Can.pdf

Thanks again for the input

BB....have you tried doing the recipe you posted for the Banana Peppers exactly the way they say to do it?  Did they turn out all mushy like most people say peppers do?

Hi all!  Glad i found this site.  All i can find anywhere here is 5% Vinegar.   Nobody seems to have seen or heard of 7%.  Will 5% be ok?   Just cut the water to a 1/4 cup since all the vinegars i see say they are diluted with water?

Back