• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Dumped the T12 lights and bought T8's

I finally decided to get modern and dumped my old T12 fluorescent grow lights and bought two of the dual 4' T8 shop lights yesterday at Lowes. I bought some 6500k GE lights to go with it and have it over some peppers now. These light fixtures are so much lighter in weight and I like the black color of the fixtures. Not sure if that affects light reflection or not since the hood is small.

I have been using T5 HO four-lamp industrial highbays.

54W, 6500K Spectralux lamps.

20,000 initial lumens per fixture.

Proud Marine Dad - glad to see your move to T8 bulbs.  I hadn't planned on making the move for another year, but 3 of our lights and one ballast bit the dust just last week.  You're so right with the lighter weight of the T8s.  We'll be thinking about maybe changing to shelves, but . . . . that may be in the distant future.  Too many plants every year.

Proud Marine Dad said:
These were $14.99 per shop light so I'm not complaining. :)
Good deal!

I got one of my fixtures from work, it had a bent reflector and could not be sold, (it is a $180 fixture) so I got it for free.

The other I bought at Home Depot for $90. The lamps were about $9-10 each, but the amount of light is excellent, I cannot look directly at them without it hurting my eyes.

millworkman said:
I'm running over driven t8s. It is impressive the difference.
Will have to look into that!

I have the same fixtures ProudMarineDad. They have been awesome, & the price was cheap. I am going to paint mine flat white after the plants are all outside for next season's plants. It should turn up the light output a bit. They are way sturdier than the $20 white ones that they had.
Good score!

What I've got are the super cheap fixtures that used to house t12s. Then after 4 years of using those I got 4 bulb t8 ballasts and wired them up to run only 2 bulbs. Took the extra ballasts from the t12s and have those dual ballasts running one bulb each. Seriously impressive output compared to normal and not really wasting any equipment.

Back