• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning 16 site EZ-Cloner...

Well I broke down and picked up a EZ-Cloner. I got it on sale for $99. It is a 16 site unit.

I also picked up some hard collars for it. I don't like the soft collars.

No one around locally could match that price.

http://www.discount-hydro.com

No I don't work for them or receive any thing in return. Just wanted to pass on a discount place.

Here is the cloner setup and running.

Rows front to back.

1st row is Sweet Basil, 2nd row cherry tomato, 3rd row Sweet Basil, 4th row mini rose cuttings.

I know I had built a cloner before. It was just a pain to clean. This is much easier.

Here is what I put in the cloner...

3 gal RO water

25 ml of KLN rooting hormone

18 ml of Clear-Rez

dipped all cuttings in rooting compound...

PH of water is at 6.

I will post pics of my success or failure...

Nice...you should have 100% success as long as there is a joint/node getting sprayed.

I would suggest trimming the larger leaves off though.

She looks very nice, you and your damn "deals" :D My hydro store has loads of deals, wholesale + crazy mark up sale all seven days of the week!

Second that on the leaves, I trim down anything over a 1 1/2" or so, about 1/3 of the leaf if it is oversized.

Buuut that's not to say it won't work.

I trimmed some foliage back...

I sometimes spend my lunches looking thru the used gear. Kind of like a thrift shop.

The hardest thing to clone for me has been roses. Will see how I do this time.

Aww damn I love thrift shops, sounds like you've got a gem of a hydro store.

Deleted a post of nitpicking after looking more at aerocloning :D

I clone in dirt, where transpiration and humidity are of great concern, and trimming back foliage is a must. Looking at the larfy (hehehe) cuttings people are easily getting rooted clones from, it is clearly not such an issue in this situation.

I like reading your posts and will watch this, you're pretty much carrying the grow tech section :)

miguelovic said:
Aww damn I love thrift shops, sounds like you've got a gem of a hydro store.

Deleted a post of nitpicking after looking more at aerocloning :D

I clone in dirt, where transpiration and humidity are of great concern, and trimming back foliage is a must. Looking at the larfy (hehehe) cuttings people are easily getting rooted clones from, it is clearly not such an issue in this situation.

I like reading your posts and will watch this, you're pretty much carrying the grow tech section :)
I think I'm just late to the game on the tech stuff. I'm still learning. I have tried to clone in dirt & peat moss with very limited success. I have tried many times to clone roses in soil. No success. I hope to be successful in cloning roses this way. I have some hybrid roses plants I would like more of. Both miniature and full size roses. I hope to be also be able to clone Avocados too. I have heard people cloning hardwood trees. I have 13 varaties of peppers now and hope to clone them all.

I do like going to thrift shops too. Another mans junk is another mans treasure. I have found some nice glassware (cheap) for mixing nutes. Plastic tends to stain.

Nice find.
Ordered one, and an Active Aqua Root Spa 5 Gallon 4 Bucket System.
All in with pebbles and soft inserts= $270 delivered.

Sweet,

Gotrox said:
Nice find.
Ordered one, and an Active Aqua Root Spa 5 Gallon 4 Bucket System.
All in with pebbles and soft inserts= $270 delivered.

Sweet,
Nice score. I'm loving my EZ-Cloner. Very well made. Can't wait for my roses.

This is my new favorite place to buy stuff. Still takes 1/2 an hour 1 way from my house with no traffic. Could be 1 hour with traffic. We have the worlds largest parking lots here in Southern California (freeways).

I've been busy working lately. Have left this 16 site cloner alone. Just refilled it with some water and Clear Rez on Thursday.
Had to trim off a tomato leaf that wilted. The cuttings are getting root nodes. Will post pics tomorrow. Cuttings are looking good.

Here is what my EZ-Cloner looks like this morning.

Just added 18oz of Clear-Rez to the rez.

Here are some pics.

D12EE2A4-7971-4AE6-8851-DE9308746056_zps8rsksbv1.jpg

Sweet Basil on the bottom having little root nodes. Looks like thorns...

5F36A04B-A481-4F8D-9917-69AE69EC4F0E_zpsawcpin4m.jpg

Here on top are the rose cuttings. Looking good and bulking up. White soft root tissue.

0A49097B-4D11-472E-9AC6-B27CC27C118E_zpso5lf96cy.jpg

Some more roots today on the tomato cutting.

16AA8E16-7E76-4B82-ABDF-59975F6D0038_zps8g56hzed.jpg

Lots of roots on the Sweet Basil.

07745753-D66D-426D-81B1-531ACCF907FC_zpsy1gclusc.jpg

We have been having brush fires here this week along with high Santa Ana winds. Very dry. In my perfect environment it is down to 16% humidity. It is usually 40%. The weather is also hot. Upper 90's in F.

I know it doesn't seem like it, but the yellowing of the leaves is always a good sign when rooting cuttings. It means the cutting is using up it's nutrient reserves, which will help signal it to put out more roots in search of a new food source.

Dreamweaver said:
I think you needed some internodes being sprayed as roots tend to develop faster at these joints.See steps 1-4 only.
Screenshot_2014-05-02-06-39-0_edit_1399038007550.png
http://www.simplyhydro.com/cuttings.htm
I know that would help. But when the ambient temp outside is 90 deg F, and humidity is 12 to 16 percent, it is hard on the cuttings. If I oxygenated the water that would also help. I'm trying to do it as a stock as possible. I'm using Clear-Rez to keep bacteria at bay.

When I had my previous home made setup. I had good long roots by now. Of course I didn't have this hot weather and low humidity. I did have an air stone in the rez. I did have a problem with bacteria in my homemade setup. So it is a trade off.

Looks like the roses are doing good.

Tomatoes did better last time. Sweet Basil will root anywhere on the stock.

I think I will change the rez out tomarrow and fill with fresh water.

Here are my rose cuttings. Looking good.

3297E126-4C58-460C-8E60-50B5C0DE2827_zpsq9zikowk.jpg

Another view.

0EF95152-0A19-4D60-9A6A-7C671CCC6C09_zpsmidr6ib8.jpg

Just in time for Mother's Day.

Basil on top rooting well all over. Basil on the bottom refusing to root. Both had same treatment, including rooting hormone. Water temp is too high. Between 85 and 90 deg F.

3959DC77-C36A-4DD0-9EE8-BE2D342D5EF4_zpsfhzdthar.jpg

Tomato cutting looking good. Lots of white healthy roots.

DA3BF391-DA70-459E-AAB9-14FA5E015149_zpsioe9830t.jpg

Heya, was doodling around, found this thread on the Mag and thougt to pass it along. The OP in the thread has a couple of different tests if you browse his profile, but more or less controls his rez temps with a minute timer.

miguelovic said:
Heya, was doodling around, found this thread on the Mag and thougt to pass it along. The OP in the thread has a couple of different tests if you browse his profile, but more or less controls his rez temps with a minute timer.
My last rez I did the same thing. 1 minute on 2 minutes off. It works to keep the water cooler, but then I need an air stone. I have heard of guys dropping in frozen water bottles to help pull down the temp. Like I said, I'm just trying this one stock how the guys at EZ-Cloner recommend. I have never been able to get rose clones. I'm very impressed with these. It was hard for me last time. The roses either wilted or rotted. Now I will move onto my other roses to clone.

I just love my EZ-Cloner. For the temp being so high and lack of humidity it did all right.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting reading. I may go back to an air stone and cycle timer. The Clear-Rez works great. No bacteria.

McGuiver said:
My last rez I did the same thing. 1 minute on 2 minutes off. It works to keep the water cooler, but then I need an air stone. I have heard of guys dropping in frozen water bottles to help pull down the temp. Like I said, I'm just trying this one stock how the guys at EZ-Cloner recommend.

Right, I thought you may have said that, but obviously didn't go check :P I've seen the bottle method, but always thought it was inaccurate/required babying, and that sort of flies against the reasoning for using an EZ-Cloner.

Props on getting roots off the roses :)

Back