• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Newbie in need of a few transplanting/general tips

As mentioned, I am completely new and inexperienced with this. I planted a bunch of seeds, including piquin, fatali, datil, and lemon drops(the four important ones to me), into a started tray thing using peat pellet things pictured below. I put them near a window (don't really know of a warm place in my home). I am a bit worried about the piquin (second column), not much has happened after a month now. 

Anyways, I was just wanting a few simple tips to help me move forward from this point. For example, when should I consider transplanting them into pots and what size should the pots be? I have quite a few plants, I'm not sure how exactly to do it if they need to be quite large.

Things I do know: should be at most a low of 55 F during nights before putting outside, use organic fertilizer, mulch on top, light watering since it will be from top, don't over water, take plants inside before nightfall for at least a week. What else should I know/what could help me from this point? I'm kind of over excited at this point, last year was a disaster due to my lack of knowledge. Thanks a bunch for any tips.

LloGNXv.jpg

AqeUhJP.jpg

Looks good and  :welcome: .

My pequins are a bust this year, slow or no on them all...

I suggest next time, not now, break the jiffy pucks up a little by pinching them after you soak them, before you seed them. I open the top netting as well.
I start seeds in much the same set up but with a heat mat. I transfer the whole puck into a 3.5" pot with potting soil as soon as they surface. There is no nutrient in the pucks and they dry out very fast. Many other folks wait to transplant until they show like 2 sets of new leaves. Ive done this in the past but its too hard to keep the tender seedlings happy that long in the pucks if ya ask me. Try to bottom water as well. All in all looks good!

:welcome:

Yes, you can put them into pots now - no need to wait. The size depends on your circumstances as well as the variety. If you don't already have an idea of the size each will get when grown, you can check out general height and width at chileplants.com - find your varieties on their chile chart. 

If space is a limitation right now (such as if it's too cold in your area to put them outside just yet, you can use Solo cups as an intermediate step - just be sure to cut holes for drainage at the bottoms of the cups. Alternately, you can get small garden pots and use them. If space is not a problem, however, you can immediately move them to their final pots - assuming you plan to keep them in pots. If they're going to go into a garden, though, you might want to go with the intermediate step until plant-out time. 

There doesn't seem to be any standardization of pot sizes in the industry that makes gardening pots. If you look at several labeled as one gallon pots, you'll find a huge difference in sizes. Note that a 5-gallon pot (or bucket with holes drilled into it) works for most large chile plants.

Hmm...I'll have to think about this lol. Looks like I might need quite a few 5 gallon buckets. Can you put more than one per bucket/pot?

I'm just trying to plan this in my head as far as the space/money situation goes. Obviously, I've planted a LOT of peppers, too much most likely, and I'm not sure how to arrange all of this. I guess I just have a few more questions:

So do you guys think buckets are the best option given my situation?

If so, how many plants can I put per bucket?

There are varying opinions about growing multiple plants in a single plot - some for, some against. I've seen pictures and videos of multiple chile plants in a single pots, and the plants were healthy and full of pods. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that most sites where you get information don't really say anything about what goes on beneath the surface of the soil. Jalapenos have very small root systems (compared to many other chile plants), so it's easy to see that they could share a pot nicely. Doughlahs, on the other hand, like to be root hogs, so I don't know how well they would share. (Every year before bringing my plants inside for the winter I remove them from their pots, prune stems and roots, then repot with fresh soil. Otherwise I probably wouldn't know this. The douglahs always need the biggest trimming.) 

The theory behind why multi-potting is beneficial, other than being a space and money saver, is that the plants growing closely together (even seeming to merge into a single plant) produces a greater canopy cover for the pods, thus protecting them more from the elements. I'd say if you find this to be something you're willing to try, go ahead and experiment with it. Perhaps, if you have multiples of a single variety, put one in a pot by itself and two in a pot together. That way you'll have a good basis for comparison for the future. 

As to the number of plants you have, "too many" depends on your circumstances. I had 48 plants one season, and that was too many as I am pretty much the only one eating them (though I have had opportunities to give some away, most people in this area stay away from spicy stuff.) You might consider checking out selling some at a farmers' market, or even ask your local grocery store if they'll sell for you. My local grocer, although a chain, always has a time when they feature local produce, so yours might consider it even if they haven't done it before. Also check out locally-owned restaurants and see if they would be willing to buy some from you. 

Ya, I guess I'll just do one per bucket. Trying to decide whether to do 5 gallon buckets or reusable walmart bags.

One last thing, do you guys recommend removing the mesh from the jiffy pucks? I know you're supposed to be able to plant them as is, but I'm dubious as to the effectiveness. 

Back