• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Organic solution to tent caterpillars in orchard trees?

I think it's just a habit around here to spray them with wasp Raid or something similar, is there any alternative?  I have some in one of my young pear trees.  I'm not so keen on spraying a fruit tree with Raid.

chsy83 said:
We used to always use rolled up newspaper lit on one end as a torch and . . . torch them.

I just had a flashback to watching my Dad and His Brothers burn bagworms out of the pecan trees.  If you did this today you would possible be arrested as a terrorist.  Picture a Lit Kerosene soaked rag stuffed in coke bottle duck taped to the end of a 16 ft bamboo pole.  Oh course if I remember this was always a better idea after a few beers. 

lol I had forgotten about this thread.

I did use fire.  A jet lighter since it was windy, cooked the little SOBs on contact...it turned out I was mistaken and it was in an ornamental cherry tree...would not have been a big deal BUT it was only 10 yards away from the nearest pear tree.  Those things would have stripped the leaves from that too given the chance and the proximity.  The youngest pear tree itself is only in its 3rd year, I don't know if it can handle that kind of stress.

Back