• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Square Foot Gardening...Peppers Plants?

After watching a couple of SFG youtube videos, I was wondering if it is applicable to pepper growing, or if the plants would be too cramped? Anyone using this method for peppers?

It could be use yeah! I tried it with some bell peppers last year and they grew great. I didn't put them in beds that were bigger than 2'x4' though, just so they could not get overly crowded.

<-------this guy knows what's up :)  

1277168_642270052473391_82641810_o.jpg

Yeah…. the problem with that is harvesting. It's nice to be able to get to pods without having to do gymnastics or use ladders or anything else that might damage a plant or two…. or yourself. I grow in pots and do columns of two pots side-by-side, then space on either side before the next column of pairs. This way I can always get a clean shot to each plant, and can rotate the pot as needed for easy reach.

If the bed is 4x4, with access from 3 sides, harvesting shouldn't be an issue. I think I might just give this a whirl. I'd like a bit more feedback though.

Roguejim said:
If the bed is 4x4, with access from 3 sides, harvesting shouldn't be an issue. I think I might just give this a whirl. I'd like a bit more feedback though.
That is a 4 x 4 and very easy to harvest from all areas. The only small challenge was the very inner core but I did ZERO pruning and if I had pruned with would have been gravy. I also did a 8 x 4 last season as well. This year the 4 x 4 will have 15 different types of Thai that make up our Thai blend. In the picture I did plant 1 per foot for 16 total plants. 

I've been doing sqft gardening for a number of years. The first year I planted every 12 inches (16 plants in a 4x4 bed). Everything grew pretty good. The past couple years I have given things a little more spacing (about 16 inches apart) and personally think they are growing better.

Jamison said:
That is absolutely stunningly beautiful!!!  Nice job man!
Yep, I'm sold.  I have a 6x20 bed, so I might have to do some adjusting.  Maybe I could use a 4x20 section of it for SFG, leaving the 2x20 length down one side relatively open for access to the jungle from that side.  I think I could still plant just a few in that space, too, but widely spaced so as not to impede access to the jungle.  I would have access from 4 sides in my situation.  I can see a bit of strategizing might be in order, i.e., planting the larger growing plants towards the center.  Thanks for the inspiring photo, Chris!  

I did it last year and it worked out great. I also did a 4x4 with 16 plants. This year I'm going to space them out more as they did get crowded last year. 

Islander said:
Can the chinense varieties be planted every 12 inches or just the annums?

I would NOT, not ever, never, for sure do not and never not in a million years just don't, dot not, don't... do not, and.... ain't planting any Chinense closer than 4 feet.  Dem bitches grow HUGE!  That is if you have a proper growing season.  But since you are in TN like me then yeah, don't do it.   At least 2.5 feet please.

Back