• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Foxfarm Fertizers

I'm thinking of using the Foxfarm nutrient trio on my peppers once they are transplanted. I'm thinking I will use the Foxfarm Ocean Harvest potting soil once they are tranplanted, these will be for a container garden. Anyone have experience with the Foxfarm nutrient trio? How about the other products like "Beastie Buds" or "Cha Ching"? Obviously these products are made for another type of gardening, but i'm wondering if they will work well for hot peppers. Any feedback greatly appreciated, thanks!

BB

Foxfarm is pretty local to me and i have used there products for a decade or more. i'm very familar with the ocean forest soil the texture quality has gone down some the last couple of years what i mean by that is i dont think they screen it as well as they used to its common to get a few handfuls of gravel and a couple of big wood chips per bag. the grow quality however is still solid, peppers love it. Its got plenty of nutes straight outta the bag for at least 2 months just use plain water or ph adjusted water. As far as their nutes i would use the tiger bloom half strenghth a few times a week. keep in mind tiger bloom will adjust your ph lower. you MUST use a ph tester til you get your mix figured out for your size resavoir and well or tap water ph. For example my tap water is about 8.1ph, no good to high. so i use tigerbloom at just under half strength giving me an ec of 1-1.2 and lowering my ph to 6.0-6.2 right where i want it. this can be used daily at this strength with no burn, but they dont need that much. best to alternate with water. if you need more nitrogen you can make your mix 50/50 with their grow big and tigerbloom again check ur ph though. its nice that the right mix sets ur ph at the same time. ph is a bigger deal than most think. ideal ph=optimum nutrient uptake ie you can use less nutes. this stuff is geared towards tomatos and works great with peppers. all the rest of that shit is unneeded unless ur growing grand mango daddy northernlight og cheese haze.  LOL.
I have used this system with great success. I also use liquid bone meal or cal mag.
Hope this helps some. GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY GROWING.

sorry bout the horrible punctuation and run on sentences.

Oh, and i like to thin the ocean forest with about 20% perlite. Its got some, but a little more is better.

Thanks Hogleg!  I did do a search on Foxfarm here and did come across a thread discussing the gravel/stick issue and general decline in QC over the past couple years.  It sounds like you used the tiger bloom and grow big for a hydroponic setup?  I will be using this for a soil container garden, but it sounds like checking pH is a must, so I will definitely pick up a pH tester.  Thanks also for the tip on mixing in the perlite, I typically thin my soil a bit with perlite too but wasn't sure if I would need to with the Ocean Harvest, but now I know! 

I know the gravel is an issue, but wouldn't the gravel actually help promote drainage?

BB

I've used Fox Farm for several years (soil) and had really good success. My suggestion is to add a lot of compost to the mix before planting. Any good slow release (compost, worm castings) fertilizers will cut down on how much you have to spend on liquid or granule fertilizers a little later. (although when you're using containers, you'll have to fertilize eventually).  They also make a Lucky Dog K-9 Kube with a good perlite and peat moss (light and airy blend) and "mycorrhizal fungi and crazy wicked earthworm castings". 
Ocean Harvest for fruit baring plants, (or the Original), Happy Frog planting soil has worked well for me for leafy green plants (lettuce, kale, etc). I used the Cha-ching etc before but have had Much better luck with the liquid fertilizers for soil. Period. Grow Big, Tiger Bloom, etc. 

I still LOVE using their soil, the only one I will get as long as I am able to.

But for the nutes, I actually switched to Flora Nova Bloom (or grow) as I feel like i get better results. The fruits (and flowers of other things) seems to do better with the flora nova. But I only use ferts in my DWC religiously and I like the Flora Nova because it seems to have a more complete and balanced supply of minerals and nutes mixed.

I do fert my soil grows but only after months and months of letting them use up the nutes in the Fox Farm soil. Their soil is very rich and I use about 25% perlite mixed.

but I am a firm believer in generous amounts of cal-mag for almost anything I grow. That is the only thing I mix in every time.

Growguy imo gh products are cheap and junk. and trust i know my nutes for indoor hydro i was part of the cali green rush in the 90s. also most hydro nutes in soil will cause salt build up after a while leading to nute lockout. the tigerbloom wont have this problem as its much more natural and can be used in hydro or soil.

for true hydro i would recommend canna or house and garden two part, yes they are almost twice as much as gh but you wont need 2 or 3 other products to manage the def. you get with gh.

burninbob the formula i mentioned above was used on peppers in pots, soil outdoors. i should mention also that this was when i was trying to keep it simple and learn the pepper plant characteristics. i'm now making my mix 50/50 screened rabbit compost and oceanforest cut with a mixture of rice hulls and perlite with liquid bone and or calmag as a supplament tea.  soil nutrition seems to last a little longer from the compost but its back breaking screening and making the mix. and yep i'll still keep a jug of tigerbloom around in case i need it. I suggest keep it simple and save ur back.

also dwc and soil are vastly different for nutes imo.

HAPPY GROWIN FOLKS.

skearley said:
I've used Fox Farm for several years (soil) and had really good success. My suggestion is to add a lot of compost to the mix before planting. Any good slow release (compost, worm castings) fertilizers will cut down on how much you have to spend on liquid or granule fertilizers a little later. (although when you're using containers, you'll have to fertilize eventually).  They also make a Lucky Dog K-9 Kube with a good perlite and peat moss (light and airy blend) and "mycorrhizal fungi and crazy wicked earthworm castings". 
Ocean Harvest for fruit baring plants, (or the Original), Happy Frog planting soil has worked well for me for leafy green plants (lettuce, kale, etc). I used the Cha-ching etc before but have had Much better luck with the liquid fertilizers for soil. Period. Grow Big, Tiger Bloom, etc. 
Using natural things like EWC and Mycorrhizae only to kill off the micro-herd with non-organic nutrients. :rolleyes:
Why not make a good water only soil and save your money?

I use FF Grow Big in hydro, with other brand nutes, and the myko I use is Bushdoctor, I think that's made by FF also.

hogleg said:
Foxfarm is pretty local to me and i have used there products for a decade or more. i'm very familar with the ocean forest soil the texture quality has gone down some the last couple of years what i mean by that is i dont think they screen it as well as they used to its common to get a few handfuls of gravel and a couple of big wood chips per bag. the grow quality however is still solid, peppers love it. Its got plenty of nutes straight outta the bag for at least 2 months just use plain water or ph adjusted water. As far as their nutes i would use the tiger bloom half strenghth a few times a week. keep in mind tiger bloom will adjust your ph lower. you MUST use a ph tester til you get your mix figured out for your size resavoir and well or tap water ph. For example my tap water is about 8.1ph, no good to high. so i use tigerbloom at just under half strength giving me an ec of 1-1.2 and lowering my ph to 6.0-6.2 right where i want it. this can be used daily at this strength with no burn, but they dont need that much. best to alternate with water. if you need more nitrogen you can make your mix 50/50 with their grow big and tigerbloom again check ur ph though. its nice that the right mix sets ur ph at the same time. ph is a bigger deal than most think. ideal ph=optimum nutrient uptake ie you can use less nutes. this stuff is geared towards tomatos and works great with peppers. all the rest of that shit is unneeded unless ur growing grand mango daddy northernlight og cheese haze.  LOL.
I have used this system with great success. I also use liquid bone meal or cal mag.
Hope this helps some. GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY GROWING.

sorry bout the horrible punctuation and run on sentences.

Oh, and i like to thin the ocean forest with about 20% perlite. Its got some, but a little more is better.

What do you suggest to raise the PH?  I'm glad I found this thread...I ordered some TigerBloom to use with my Reaper, Scorpion, Brains, Green Peppers, and Habaneros.

I guess I would use this stuff cause its cheap and available at any hydro shop. I've never needed it though cause I always use tiger bloom at a light dose (half or less) however I have used the gh down to adjust my tap water.

pH_Up_8oz.png

Careful if using the GH ph adjsuters in hydro - they tend to introduce or encourage algae/fungus bloom. I used it a few times in my bubble cloner and had algae in a week each time. I looked online and there's an army of people who have had similar complaints and suggest other methods in place of General Hydroponics ph up and down, but this is only for hydro. If in soil (like the OP's application), then it works just fine.

mrgrowguy said:
Careful if using the GH ph adjsuters in hydro - they tend to introduce or encourage algae/fungus bloom. I used it a few times in my bubble cloner and had algae in a week each time. I looked online and there's an army of people who have had similar complaints and suggest other methods in place of General Hydroponics ph up and down, but this is only for hydro. If in soil (like the OP's application), then it works just fine.

I believe it's phosphorus based yeah
Which is the main reason for lake pollution based algae

Powelly said:

I believe it's phosphorus based yeah
Which is the main reason for lake pollution based algae

AHHHH, thank you!

side note: what's funny is in my bubble cloner, I just gave up on ph'ing altogether. I just use my tap which sits around 8.0, much higher than most hydro-type applications, but i still get 95%+ success and the process is not delayed at all. Just adding that to the mix.

Back