• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Adam's First Shot at Spicy Peppers

Tomatoes on the right... Peppers on the left... 2 Simple 40watt fluorescent bulbs (cool white).
plants001_zps690c8def.jpg

Indoor Grow spots...
plants004_zpsc81c2c9c.jpg

plants003_zps64966c9a.jpg

plants005_zps6339606e.jpg

Yes, those plastic containers at the bottom were filled with manure... If manure was measured in gallons, I would have 87 gallons!

plants006_zps40fc32c1.jpg

Earth day success!!!

plants011_zps66de9ca3.jpg

SINGLE BHUT BOUGHT FROM STORE.
plants016_zps3e6c12f1.jpg

Spoke too soon... (sunburn on tomatoes)

plants013_zpse1e30ee4.jpg

plants012_zps7bf92f98.jpg

plants014_zps50040312.jpg

More updates to follow... Lessons learned.

I accidentally posted 2 of the exact same thread. Anybody know how to delete one?

Admin?

I plan on making salsa, hot sauce and some hot powder.

Has anyone tried bolivian rainbow peppers? any idea how they taste or what they would go good with?

Like those nice beds, Adam; the peppers should thrive there.  And nice and
close so you can watch them from the table on the deck!

Of the ornamentals I've grown, the Bolivian Rainbow was one of the coolest,
but also had pretty good flavor with medium heat.  It grew to 3-4' and was
covered with multicolored pods.  Now I want to grow one again!

That little Bhut is awesome.  Color?

UPDATED BHUT PHOTO AFTER TOPPING.

I removed some of the larger leaves that I originally left on there after topping. I believe this is a red bhut, but cannot know for sure because i got it at a nursery.

20140517_170049_zps67cf94c2.jpg

BAM!!..... I MEAN BHUT!!!
20140521_071052_zps2752ae39.jpg

Here is how I potted my ghost pepper seedling... I didnt have enough potting soil, so i did this on accident out of despiration and seems to be working out quite well! Just thought it would be worth sharing.

In the bottom, i threw in a few inches of native soil that had been mixed with dried cow manure. After that, I poured in the remaining potting soil that I had and planted by Bhut seedling. I then realized that the pot was only half full. So, I decided to make pull in the soil from the outside edge of the pot to try and make the center as tall as possible... Mission Accomplished. After that, I replaced the potting soil that I slid into the middle with the soil/manure mixture i referenced earlier.

POTTEDPLANTS_zps6720e299.png

Has anyone else done this? Am i correct in assuming that this would be more beneficial than using normal potting soil?

I've seen some people do that, sort of a simplified soil stratification set up.

Once the roots hit the higher nutrient area, BAM! I mean, BHUT! Sure as hell looks like it is working out great :)

So, about 2 months ago, I ordered some "trinidad scorpion pepper seeds" from Amazon and they arrived 2 weeks ago. They were $1.97 for 10 seeds so I am not hoding my breath that they are true scorpians.

Anywho... As soon as I got them, i began germinating them in a wet paper towel. I had a good germination percentage. However, I am killing off the ones who are late bloomers because it is so late in the season... Right now, I have one seedling with two true leaves and it is about to go to 4.

My question is, is it too late to start from seed?

Should I expect any peppers at all?

Is there any way to speed things up a bit?

Doubtful, but I thought i would ask. :violin:

Hydroponically, you may have a shot, especially if you can take them inside in the fall. In the dirt, you should get a few pods, after all, there is almost 5 months left of the season, but don't count on more than a few with this late of a start.

Now we are cookin with gas!
:dance: :dance: :dance:
:flamethrower:
20140612_201312_zpsc666ef1d.jpg

20140612_201239_zps70afe0d6.jpg

I do have a question though. It seems like these buds have just been sitting here not blooming for a week or so. Are there specific nutes that help encourage flowering?

20140612_201421_zps9633f791.jpg

Back