• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Happy Frog Potting Soil = Fungus Gnats?

Anyone here traced their fungus gnat infestation back to the Happy Frog Potting Soil?  After this latest infestation, I am considering making my own Pro Mix-like medium, or, buying this product below. 

http://www.sungro.com/professional-products?brandID=1&catID=1&productID=77

Another question.  Do fungus gnats lay eggs in straight peat moss?  Maybe, making my own peat based medium is the safest route to take.  Any thoughts?  How do you determine the correct quantity of lime to add?

96strat said:
I had a infestation one year inside. Talked to a bio professor and he said to microwave the medium for 90 seconds and add micro nutrition back in after. Have not seen a bug for a couple years. Plants doing great this year.
 Wow!  Now. that's something to consider.  Of course, any microbes would be toast, but, that's what AACT teas are for.

Hi Jim,

I`ve used nothing but Happy Frog this year and has fewer fungus gnats than in the past. Remember that if you microwave Happy Frog you will kill all the beneficial microbes they put in it. 

This stuff seems to be good. A layer of sharp sand or pumice also does the job.

Roguejim said:
 Wow!  Now. that's something to consider.  Of course, any microbes would be toast, but, that's what AACT teas are for.

This is a good way to control soil pests for indoor grows. I do it for seed mix then inoculate with AACT. I get a better Germ rate doing that.

Nigel said:
Hi Jim,

I`ve used nothing but Happy Frog this year and has fewer fungus gnats than in the past. Remember that if you microwave Happy Frog you will kill all the beneficial microbes they put in it. 

This stuff seems to be good. A layer of sharp sand or pumice also does the job.

Yeah, it somehow doesn't make a lot of sense buying a product like Happy Frog just to kill off beneficial organisms, and then reintroduce them to the mix later.

hogleg said:
if in pots maybe put a inch thick layer of perlite on top.

just a thought.
Did it this season.  Fail.  I should mention that I've abandoned bottom watering in favor of top watering.

hogleg said:
dont nock it till u try it an inch thick layer will get quite dry in direct sun not to mention they dont like the texture of it.
I'm talking "indoor" seedlings.

This discussion is getting a bit off topic.  I was only inquiring about fungus gnat problems linked to Happy Frog potting soil, not about cures for fungus gnats.  Any comments on the lime issue?

Roguejim said:
This discussion is getting a bit off topic.  I was only inquiring about fungus gnat problems linked to Happy Frog potting soil, not about cures for fungus gnats. 
Then why ask if you don't like the answer we give? :rolleyes:
In the past I have used several bagged soils and many had gnats. Do you see a pattern here? :rofl:

Proud Marine Dad said:
Then why ask if you don't like the answer we give? :rolleyes:
In the past I have used several bagged soils and many had gnats. Do you see a pattern here? :rofl:
Huh?  Your first remark is unintelligible. 

And yes, I do see a pattern with bagged soils that you have used, now.  Were any of them Happy Frog??

Proud Marine Dad said:
No as I have never bought overpriced, hyped soils.
I see.  You've only bought underpriced, cheap soils with no hype!  No wonder you had fungus gnats!! :surprised:   All kidding aside, I think I'm done with bagged soils.  I just need to figure out how important lime is to peat based soils, and how to determine the proper amount.

I think anybsoils can be prone to fungus gnats sometimes even more so with beneficial microbes if they includ fungi spores for growing. I used a similar soil with added microbes and experienced gnats like no other. I tried everything to get rid of them and finally had to use the dunks to get rid of them.

The Happy Frog I used was stored inside at the local hydro shop. Hardly any fungus gnats. I paid a lot for it. The Miracle grow soil I bought at HD was stored outside. It had more fungus gnats. I didn't pay a lot for it. That is the pattern I see.

I watered all my plants with water that had mosquito dunks soaking in it. No sustained fungus gnat issues for me at all this year.

I have heard of other people having issues with fungus gnats in HF.  I myself have not experienced that.  Like Jeff H, the HF I buy is stored inside my local Hydro shop.  So perhaps storage inside vs. outside is the where we can tie the issue to.

Gnats, mushrooms, and very poor growth from "wallmart Nursery mix".

MG repot, with sand on top stopped the gnats, skeeter dunk liberallty applied to the wet areas and watering killed off whatever was eating the seedling roots.

Took a couple weeks to get healthy.

Back