• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Fried Chicken

Couldn't find a fried chicken thread here, so why not make one! Anyway, occasionally KFC here sells a delicacy called "Hot n Spicy", ever since I was a child I was infatuated with it. But the bastards only sell it for a month every year, and sometimes they skip years. 

I have no choice but to replicate this Hot n Spicy, because it is one of the reasons I keep myself alive today. I was dumb when buying the chicken, I bought the drumsticks, wings and thighs seperately, and spent like $15 all up, when all I had to do is buy 3x "Chicken Maryland", which is the drumstick and thigh in one piece, plus a couple of wings, it would've come to like $7 total. Herp de Derp

So here it is. Verdict... the skin was delightfully crispy, and the chicken, holy crap the juices actually ran down my fingers! But need to ramp up the spices, especially the heat! 

Ofcourse, I bought the coleslaw from an actual KFC, after all, the KFC experience is NOT complete without that coleslaw :D

Marinated chicken ready to be KFC'd
hs4_zps379d88ba.jpg

hs5_zps96d408da.jpg

hs6_zps2b95163f.jpg

hs1_zps8a568b09.jpg

hs3_zpsd4dc3736.jpg

hs2_zps521a6c79.jpg

It was a tad weak on the spices, so I doubled the spice mix in the flour, plus I added a crap-ton of Tabasco sauce and chilli flakes to the brine for the next batch. Can't wait till tomorrow night! 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
If you want one tip to take that to the next level, soak the chicken in butter milk. 

Looks good!

Been there done that,  the chicken ended up black after 8 minutes in the oil. Threw it over the fence.  This chicken spent 12 minutes in the oil..

What about doing 3 parts water to 1 part buttermilk? What I did here was 3 parts water 1 part milk and I was happy with the skin and the colour, would buttermilk improve the texture flavour using this ratio? 

Other recipes I've seen call for egg and milk wash, which I am tempted to try.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Buttermilk does magic to the chicken as far as tenderizing. What temp is your oil? 

Got no idea, I am only pan frying. I've heard that 375F is the temp it's supposed to be when the chicken hits the oil, then cook at 310-335F for about 10-12 mins depending on size of chicken pieces. 

My chicken was juicy and soft from just being brined in water for several hours. Maybe using a 3 parts water 1 part buttermilk will enhance it? 

Your chicken looks great. When I do butter milk I soak over night in seasoned buttermilk, then discard. Dredge in seasoned flour and let it set then give it a good shake in the seasoned flour again. Drop in hot oil and away you go. I have not used breading on chicken in a long time except the rice flour on wings. 

WANT FRIED CHICKEN NOW!!!!! That's just gorgeous. 

Egg and milk - will make the coating crispier, maybe even too crispy, depending on the ratio you use. My son used that for fried fish once, and I would call it "crunchy" rather than "crispy" - like almost cut-your-mouth type of crunchy. Clearly he did not use enough milk given the quantity of egg he used….. live and learn.

Hells Kitchen said:

Been there done that,  the chicken ended up black after 8 minutes in the oil. Threw it over the fence.  This chicken spent 12 minutes in the oil..

What about doing 3 parts water to 1 part buttermilk? What I did here was 3 parts water 1 part milk and I was happy with the skin and the colour, would buttermilk improve the texture flavour using this ratio? 

Other recipes I've seen call for egg and milk wash, which I am tempted to try.
He is a quick thought

Make a brine with Salt and your favorite peppers, lemons etc  and soak the chicken overnight in that -   then use the buttermilk as the wet part of your batter slurry mix. 

Have you heard of Gus's Fried Chicken in Memphis - I do recommend to stop by if you are ever in Memphis- 

Adam Richman's Man vs Food 

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/spicy-fried-chicken-in-memphis-12512

Ok see if you can spot the Hidden Mickey Mouse in this "Gus's Report-  just watch this without laughing.   :onfire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMfWnpetr4M

Take is pretty close receipe-
http://thefriedchickenblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/guss-fried-chicken-update-july-16-2013.html

never have been a fried chicken fan.even know im not the healthiest dude i could just never dig eating pure grease,fries or also not my favorite things.that being said ive ate my share though and had the best and the worst.

that bird lookes mighty tasty and ill take a breast and two wings.

at58tXUFV.jpg

Looks like really good fried chicken to me.  I often use the buttermilk like Joyner said, but you have to do a few things to make that work.  First, you have to drain it well.  Second you have to let it sit after you dredge it.  Third, you have to deep fry it not pan fry it.  Also, you need your oil temp to be a little lower.  I often end up having to finish mine in the oven to keep it from over browning in the oil.

lol,i left out something i was going to say because i didnt want to  be a dick.  but no joke its not fried chicken unless its from the pan.  

jay t are you telling me some of the finest fried chicken thats ever been made wasnt from a pan?  if you havent had some real soul cooking than you would think you need a deep fryer. damn yankee ;)

JayT said:
Looks like really good fried chicken to me.  I often use the buttermilk like Joyner said, but you have to do a few things to make that work.  First, you have to drain it well.  Second you have to let it sit after you dredge it.  Third, you have to deep fry it not pan fry it.  Also, you need your oil temp to be a little lower.  I often end up having to finish mine in the oven to keep it from over browning in the oil.

no no no I am not saying that at all.  I am saying that most of the time it is not soaked 24hrs in buttermilk then pan fried.

Pretty sure most of the "southern style" chicken places only give it an hour or two in buttermilk.  I was just giving my own home cooking experience.  I am not the Colonel for sure.

JayT said:
Pretty sure most of the "southern style" chicken places only give it an hour or two in buttermilk.  I was just giving my own home cooking experience.  I am not the Colonel for sure.
I am southern and 2 hours is for bitches... :dance:

Back