smokers Ugly barrel smoker advice

So I must admit, you guys have ruined me. Ever since beginning to prowl this site I have continually been looking for ways to improve/change the food in our house. My newest endeavor in this is to learn how to smoke. Over the last 4 days I have spent my time making an ugly barrel smoker. I think overall it has turned out rather well! And thank you to everyone on this site for showing all of your beer can chicken/pulled pork/brisket/and other delicious smoked goods that ultimately resulted in me wanting to make my own! Here are some pics of my UBS and my first smoke.

That said, I have some questions. I had to cut off the upper rim of my barrel to get the lid to fit properly. It works very well now but during full smoke it leaks a bit around the lid. Any suggestions as to what I can do to prevent this?

I also was wondering about temp. I can attain the 225-250 for smoking easily. Is there ever any need to go for higher temps? I can't seem to get it higher than 250 by much if I try.

Lastly, what are your favorite things to smoke? Need some ideas as to what to cook!

Luv the smoker,don't worry about the barrel leaking a little.I had a brinkman barrel and they leak a bit also.Your temps are fine but in colder weather bringing up temp can be a problem.Some people go for a fast smoke at 300 or so for some stuff but your riding a fine line between Grilling and Smoking at that temp.Low and Slow is the saying.
     Try smoking a corned beef from your store.Smoke it to 165,wrap in foil and bring temp up to 195.You will luv it.

Smoker looks sweet!

To smoke?
Fish, especially salmon. 
And peppers, especially sweet peppers.
Don't forget tomatoes, especially sauce tomatoes for making ketchup.
Elephant garlic.

The chicken looks great as does the smoker! The more you smoke the more build up will occur and this can act as a natural sealer. A small amount of smoke escaping is perfectly natural. 

As for temp, if you can maintain 225 - 250 without a lot of work, that is perfect! As for going higher, some people smoker at a higher heat but I am not one of them. You can also try using natural lump charcoal and see if you get higher heats.

As for what to smoke, pork, beef chicken and seafood :) Then there are the veggies including hot peppers, making your own sausage, bacon and the list goes on! 

Boom goes the dynamite! Smoker and chicken look perfecto! Like everyone else said, your temps are perfect. It's a smoker first, so that's really as high as you want to go. If you do decide you want it to double as a grill for searing steaks or anything like that, simply set it up to where you can move your coals higher in the drum to about 8"-12" or so beneath your cooking surface.

I just have one question..... Is that just an old leftover level glass with a bleeder valve that you left on there, or does it serve a purpose for the smoker?

My favorite foods to smoke:

Brisket, beer can chicken, ribs, pork shoulder, whole turkey or turkey breast, ham, cornish hen, and you can make your own bacon and tasso

Outstanding job on the smoker, looks very professional!

If you or anyone whose interested....PM me your email address and Ill send you a pdf of

Competition BBQ Secrets
A book on how to “slow smoke” ribs, chicken, pork butt, and beef brisket
by Bill Anderson

Its a good book!

It's a UDS, not UBS. ;)

Okay, now, if you are maintaining good temps, don't mess with it. The small leaks around the side may even HELP with proper flow so it spreads instead of making a beeline for the damper. With a UDS everything is vertical and the damper is off to one side so it's good to have circular flow. Unless the leak is massive, and it is not. The leak means smoke is being forced out, which is good. There is enough smoke in there for flavor and you have good circulation. Done. And if you are maintaining 225 you are golden. If you were not able to get above 195 I'd say you need some sealing but nope. As far as getting hotter, no need, unless grilling.

For example, some people put two dampers on the lid of a UDS for even smoke. Since you have one, the not-so-tight seal is like mini vents around the lid. Your temps are fine, and stable, so... it's all good!

Going top end,I just put a 3 bone rib on the smoker,corn riding under to catch the drippings.I hit 115 degrees I pull and wrap in foil until it hits 125.My company is so lucky tonight.Only ran a small chunk of apple wood,(prime dont like lots of smoke.).I have an all wood setup,but after a 10 hour day at work my electric fits the bill. ;)
View attachment 10723
View attachment 10722

Thanks everyone! I'm loving it so far and excited to try some new bbq. I think my next smoke will be either a pork shoulder for pulled pork or a brisket. Buzz the valve you see is just a 3/4 in steel pipe I added with a gate valve for air control. The dial up above is a temp gauge.

SCOVIE I need to buy some more SCOVIE powder off of ya or get your recipe! Been out for a couple months and the food's not the same!

Yeah that bird did come out perfect looking with even color. Another reason your smoker is good. Look at and taste the food. ;)

Back