• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

KingLeerUK's 2014 Grow Log - "Plants Off, Dance Off"

After a bit of a hiatus... I'M BACK BABY!

Towards the end of last season I drifted off THP due to having had such a poor season and my ever-increasing race schedule on the weekends.  My plants just didn't produce very well last year.  There wasn't a single reason; the combination of too much rain early in the season, leading to brownspot issues and then a really bad whitefly infestation brought my garden to its knees.  I did manage to overwinter several plants and get the pests under control which has given me a bit of a head start on this year.  That said, I've still found a way to be a little late to the party.

Let's start off with the Good News

In the "fall" (Florida doesn't really have seasons) I had a bit of a brain spark and realised that I could use my 35 pound kitty litter containers as 5-gallon equivalent growing pots.  I transplanted 5 plants into these makeshift buckets and was therefore able to shelter them indoors during the worst of the "winter".

As a result, going into the year I had two Red Savina Habaneros and 2 Trinidad Moruga Scorpions and 1 of something that is definitely a superhot (maybe a Butch-T) get a running start with 18" of established growth.  They are now almost 3 feet tall and putting on tons of pods.

OvYIEqg.jpg

The kitty litter container garden.

wf1QuhV.jpg

More detail on the kitty litter containers.

COK6tVd.jpg

Possibly Butch-T?

I've been planting out some of my 7" pot over-winters as buckets became available, and these include:
3x Carolina Reaper
2x Chocolate Scorpion
2x Doughlah
2x Yellow Scotch Bonnet
1x Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
1x Devil's Tongue Yellow

I have had a few small early pods from the Scorpions.

In the back garden I had three Moruga Scorpions survive, and they are all putting on large pods with distintive tails.

WhFDDQ5.jpg

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Tails

I also have several Devil's Tonuge Yellow plants in both the front and back garden area.  Only the plants in the front yard are putting on pods, but they are doing so in a spectacular fashion.  I've already been able to harvest several pods in April.

hYr2yWX.jpg

Devil's Tongue Yellow

I started a batch of seeds in the propagator about 5 weeks ago and they have already migrated through the 4" pots up to 7" pots on the back porch light table.  This year I've decided to do early topping of all of the seedlings to try and get them to branch out and be less leggy.

OUw1Izj.jpg

ylPcDEd.jpg

I started a second batch of seeds in the propagator last weekend, mostly replacements for the low-germination seeds from the first round.  This only also includes a variety of tomatoes.

INelyvd.jpg

Some of the Bad News

I only had two of my Bhut Jolokia (Red Ghosts) survived the winter and they are in pretty poor shape.  I may start some new plants now so they can overwinter for next year; they might even produce a few pods before it gets too cold this year.

I lost most of my Kung Paos.  I have one very health plant that survived the worst of the "winter" being nestled up next to the fence.

I lost my one and only established Cherry Bomb, but more seedlings have already been started.

I lost all of my Golden Cayennes, but as with the Cherry Bombs I have seedlings started.

I am having one hell of a time trying to get any Bishop's Crowns to germinate. This year I ordered seeds from pepperlover.com and not a single one of them germinated on my first-round attempt.  We'll see how it goes for round 2.  If none of them start that will make FOUR YEARS in a row I've tried to grow these and never gotten a single hook.

And the Indifferent News

I'm abandoning any tobasco growing for this year, while the plant is very pretty and was massive last year, I never used the pods and it is taking up precious space.  If I can't find a home for it in the yard elsewhere it will just be culled.

KINGLEERUK'S 2014 GROW LIST FOR KIDS WHO CAN'T GROW GOOD AND WANNA LEARN TO GROW OTHER STUFF GOOD TOO

7 Pod Brainstrain Yellow
7 Pot Jonah
7 Pod Primo
Aleppo
Aribibi Gusano Orange
Bhut Jolokia Red (p)
Bishop's Crown
Brazilian Starfish
Carolina Reaper (p)
Chichimeca Jalapeño
Chocolate Scorpion
Cowhorn
Datil
Devil's Tongue Red
Devil's Tongue Yellow (p)
Douglah (p)
Giant Jalapeño
Giant Mexican Rocoto
Golden Cayenne
Kung Pao (p)
Mariachi Jalapeño
Mucho Nacho Jalapeño
Naga Morich
Naga Viper
Olive Primo
Purple Jalapeño
Red Cayenne
Red Cherry Bomb
Red Savina Habanero (p)
Trinidad Barrackpore 7 Pod
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Yellow Scotch Bonnet (p)

(p) indicates pods in production now

More updates when I can.   Same bat time, same bat channel.

Today was perfect for working outside and cleaning up the back garden plot.  It had become massively overgrown with weeds, and those weeds had hidden a few few surprises for me.

First a message from our sponsor.

5QnR1Yh.jpg

Today's workout was brought to you by Shovel™.  By the makers of Bed of Nails™.

I knew that I had at least one other superhot survive in the weed jungle but I didn't know exactly what it was.  Apparently, it is a Trinidad Scorpion.

3l4TWQh.jpg

Baby scorps!  So cute, so devastating.

Not pictured, but I also discovered that one of my Golden Cayennes was actually still alive and producing.  Woot.

In the front container garden the mystery superhots are doing that half-orange, half-green thing.  I still don't know exactly what they are.  I did sample one of the early pods back in April and it nearly melted my face off.  Definitely hotter than any hab I've ever had.  Thoughts?  Butch T?

HG0XS84.jpg

The last seedling tray of the season is taking off; almost all of the tomato seeds have sprouted and there is some action in the Giant Jalapeños and the Cherry Bombs.

Dx4QNxz.jpg

That's all for now.  Tomorrow I'll be finishing the remainder of the garden cleanout and possibly planting out some okra starts.  mmm boiled okra, so slimy you can't keep your socks up.

I was going to finish tidying the second half of the back garden space today.  However, the sun was out with a fury (no clouds at all) and not wanting to spontaneously combust I decided to do a cleanout on the front privacy fence area and make it so I could get to the container garden a little easier.

4UXnPNg.jpg

My cats, they poop alot.

kd7gNRA.jpg

I also potted up a cherry tomato from the back garden to give to a friend.

Turning around the 3 Doughlahs I have in container I discovered that two of them have decided to start podding up.

NQcoEw8.jpg

lbBHwVJ.jpg

Normally I'd the pinch buds off for a plant this small, but I've never had Doughlahs this far along before (and I'm curious) so I trimmed the new flowers off and am letting these first pods mature.

Looking good from my house!

You must have really BIG cats..or they're busy ones..LOL

Keep doing what your doing, everything looks great!

I have two cats, both rescues.

One is 17 years old and weighs 18 pounds.

The other is 15 years old and weighs 23.5 pounds.

Some over 3 feet tall.  At the end of last year I conditioned the plot with a heaping truckbed full of mushroom compost (easily over a ton).  With no competition from the grass and the relatively mild Florida "winter" the weeds just took over.

Text update only.

This just in:  the morning seedling check has resulted in the confirmation that at least one Bishop's Crown has successfully hooked.

After 3 years of dud seeds I finally have my first glimmer of hope for this elusive (to ME anyway) chile.

Not a great deal done this weekend due to the 8 mile Superhero Scramble INTIMIDATOR that I participated in on Saturday, but it did let me add another medal to the collection.

hisb9ms.jpg

Will be adding this one.

To this madness:
pfD6s5L.jpg

In the coming days I'll be harvesting the first "full" pods of the season, mostly of which will be sent on to PEX Peppers.

They will include these Trinidad Moruga Scorpions:

WDK6dmy.jpg

681Yczr.jpg

All but 1 of my in-ground bhut jolokias died or is just beyond recovery so I've planted 20 red bhut jolokia cells in my FINAL propagator trays of the year with the goal of having them up to 5 gallon bucket size for overwintering to get a running start on the 2015 season.  There is a chance that I might get some small pods off of them before it gets too cool out.  I am going to have a line of 5-gallon buckets on the south-facing wall of the house for bulk production of what is easily my favourite superhot; I miss having them instantly available.

The first harvest of the season!

UixY06i.jpg

If I'm honest, I had a running start due to my overwinters.

I'm sending a few labeled pods to a friend along with over 20 different varieties of seeds so I can get him started addicted to the hobby.

AugCQqP.jpg

Two quite stunning Trinidad Moruga Scorpions came off in this round, one of which has the most wicked "tail" on it I've ever seen.

3AgBgFp.jpg

Some of my plants are looking a little bit yellow so I'm brewing up the good stuff...

bxid16d.jpg

QdG3ZmC.jpg

A Basic AACT Recipe
2 handfuls of organic worm castings
1 handful of Black Kow compost
2-3 handfuls of grass clippings
2-3 shakes of Plant Success Mycorhizae starter
3 Tbsp of molasses

My only real trick is that I re-use part of the sludge contents of a prior batch as a kick-off starter for each new batch. Doing this gets me "the foam" within 12 hours instead of 24+ but I'll still brew it for the full 48.

The second round seedlings are all doing very well, with the tomato varieties really taking off in a big way.  

lHy1geJ.jpg

LszECbu.jpg

These will need to be potted up to 4" pots within the next week or so.

The first round plants are all coming along nicely after their first topping.

drWQ9oo.jpg

Which brings us to The Grand Experiment

WTyNBzI.jpg

I received a very large packet of Bhut Jolokia seeds from Pex because he knows I'm a total sucker for growing more plants than I will ever be able to use myself (and therefore become a PEX Peppers remote production facility) so I've decided to do a small scale experiment this year.

I've planted 20 cells of bhut jolokias, each with 3 seeds to try and ensure that I'll have sufficient germination; thus far I've got over 60% of the cells "up" or starting to hook after only 6 days since sowing the seeds (of taste bud murder).  I expect 100% presentation in each cell and I'll cull or separate to get to an even 20 count.  I will provide all of the seedlings with the same lighting, water and temperature conditions and follow my typical growing regimen with 1 main exception: 50% of these will be topped and lightly stripped and the remaining 50% will be left to grow to their natural habit.  When it comes time to pot these up to their final container I will be using 20, 7-gallon fabric air pots which will be co-located on the back porch under the house eaves (where I've had my best luck with lighting and heat balance for bhuts in the past).

Plants will be labeled and I will keep a running tally of harvest yields throughout the season (and into next).  I'll probably start a separate glog for this.

While by no means scientific, it will be an interesting controlled scenario to observe and draw individual conclusions from.  Or spark a massive debate.  I win no matter what because I like big bhuts, and I cannot lie.
And if you're wondering, that bottom row in the bhut jolokia propagator is actually my ongoing germination of Piper nigrum seeds, they are taking their sweet time to come up even after a 24-hour pre-soak and carefully controlling their soil moisture and temperature.

KingLeerUK said:
I like big bhuts, and I cannot lie.
lmao! Nice to see that the seedlings are coming along well. Interesting experiment, can't wait to see what happens...

EDIT: Hypothesis/Prediction: Plants that are topped will bush out and be able to produce more peppers. 

Back