• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Window growing

Hey guys, I am a fresh new pepper grower and i was wondering what type of success people seem to have with growing peppers in windows?

I have huge floor to ceiling windows that are south facing. As of right now I only have some orange habaneros that have JUST sprouted. I was just a little concerned when i got home today and i saw the new little sprouts were now on like a 45 to 50 degree angle toward the window which got me thinking... Are pepper plants able to be grown in window type light?

Thanks in advance guys!

:welcome:

I don't really think they would be healthy in the long run but as seedlings they will do ok for a while...they just may get leggy.  You can offsett them growing at an angle by adding an additional light source at 90º or turn them daily.  Once it's an adult it may not produce many pods for you in a window.  Most peppers prefer full sun.  If all you are growing is a couple of habaneros you could pot them up and stick them on your patio or something :)   There may be some members here that know some tricks to getting productive plants from window light but I'm not one of them.

you can get a t5 light for pretty cheap.  have never heard of some one just doing a window grow usually they will need to go out side or get the light.

judohero said:
you can get a t5 light for pretty cheap.  have never heard of some one just doing a window grow usually they will need to go out side or get the light.
+1 on a T5 HO fixture.  2 bulb ones aren't terribly expensive (as far as fixture price, electricity cost, and bulb replacement) and put off a decent amount of lumens and some noticeable heat.  I grow plants year round under T5s

I know a guy growing his peppers in the balcony, it is about the same as window growing. He's having no garden, living in a big building, and use this kind of growing. Here, over summer, sometime is very hot (+30°C), I think this make some flowers to fall. He also have to pollinate himself the flowers. I could put a link to the site where he's having some pictures, if is allowed.

Your setup sounds like it will be fine. I wouldn't expect to get the full bushy, highly productive plants you see in some of the pics people post here, but you will likely get a medium sized plant, a little stretched out, and a small to medium crop of peppers. Any time you can harvest food from a houseplant that is a plus in my book.

l.compton said:
Hey guys, I am a fresh new pepper grower and i was wondering what type of success people seem to have with growing peppers in windows?

I have huge floor to ceiling windows that are south facing. As of right now I only have some orange habaneros that have JUST sprouted. I was just a little concerned when i got home today and i saw the new little sprouts were now on like a 45 to 50 degree angle toward the window which got me thinking... Are pepper plants able to be grown in window type light?

Thanks in advance guys!

Some people say peppers wont get enough light on the window sill...I think it depends where you are! not all window sills are equal :)  (we are lacking a thing called the ozone layer down here though lol)

I personally, recently started a few seeds at the wrong time of year...I planted seeds in autumn. Temps are starting to get down now, and are around 10deg C at night. 

I have a couple of Jonah plants, a couple of butch t's and a couple of "fiji chillis" all doing their thing on my window sill. And they are VERY healthy looking!
The Jonah plants which have been alive the longest are very short and stocky looking, and look every bit as nice as what you see people growing under lights. 

I think if they get a solid dose of direct sunlight on the window sill they should be fine.

Awesome! thanks guys for the responses! so i picked up two carolina reapers and two moruga scorpions today so i think that i will get a t5 setup to start giving the plants more light before i eventually move them outside. thanks again guys

Back