• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Well that's that then......

I got caught out by the sun yesterday and is think I have killed 12 out of my 15 Trinidad scorpion seedlings. I don't suppose anyone know of any tricks that might help salvage any of them?

compmodder26 said:
Post some pics, so we can determine if they are dead or not.

Agreed. You would be amazed the abuse that some peppers can take and bounce right back in a day or two. Pics and a bit more info would be very helpful.

I would NEVER take such young seedlings outside, no matter is or is not sun. You could keep them inside, in the window.
I would rather keep them in a cooler room (around 20°C). I am not sure if the leaves were affected, I see no burn signs, maybe the soil was very wet and the sun "boiled" them a bit.

Based on the first few pics I think they will recover.  Just keep them indoors, don't give them any more water (unless the soil is actually DRY).  You may even want to put a gentle fan running over them to try and remove some of the excess moisture.  These seedlings are now weakened against disease.

I agree - they may well recover. Give them some time.

rghm1u20 said:
I would NEVER take such young seedlings outside, no matter is or is not sun. You could keep them inside, in the window.

Not necessarily the best approach. Keep in mind that seeds sprout outside in full sun all the time - if they start in full sun, it's not a problem at all. The same is true for an uber-sunny window - if you started them in a room with less light, even if it was artificially lighted, you have to gradually move them to a window with full sun. Key here is try to find a very sunny window and let your seeds sprout there. Then at least moving them into sun is not such an issue, though if you don't have a good fan on them they still have to be hardened off for the wind.

geeme said:
Not necessarily the best approach. Keep in mind that seeds sprout outside in full sun all the time - if they start in full sun, it's not a problem at all. The same is true for an uber-sunny window - if you started them in a room with less light, even if it was artificially lighted, you have to gradually move them to a window with full sun. Key here is try to find a very sunny window and let your seeds sprout there. Then at least moving them into sun is not such an issue, though if you don't have a good fan on them they still have to be hardened off for the wind.
I know, I have a garden outside. But I suppose these plants were not sprouted in full sun, otherwise should not me moved in the sun (since they sprouted there). I supposed they were sprouted inside, so they have to be moved gradually, as you also said. Even if they have already 6 true leaves. It is just like the human skin, after the winter, when the sun shine you go outside and enjoy, but get burned. BTW it is not the first tread with this subject, I see many get their plants burned...

Thanks for the advice everyone, I did leave them in the shade until my neighbour cut his tree down. I will leave them a few days/weeks untill it's quite clear if they are dead or not.
I do see what you mean about how you grow the plants. I had these seedlings which I just put in an old sweet tub and left on the window sill, I put these outside right next to the sunburned ones and yet these are ok.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/tilley441/B23599EC-4C71-4DCC-AE54-955D54050266.jpg

Put another couple seeds in each container (gently) so if they don't make it you have backups getting ready to sprout which you can just clip off later if they aren't needed.

rghm1u20 said:
I know, I have a garden outside. But I suppose these plants were not sprouted in full sun, otherwise should not me moved in the sun (since they sprouted there). I supposed they were sprouted inside, so they have to be moved gradually, as you also said. Even if they have already 6 true leaves. It is just like the human skin, after the winter, when the sun shine you go outside and enjoy, but get burned. BTW it is not the first tread with this subject, I see many get their plants burned...
Ok - your emphasis on the word "never" came across as if you weren't aware that you could sprout seeds in full sun. Thanks for clarifying!

geeme said:
Ok - your emphasis on the word "never" came across as if you weren't aware that you could sprout seeds in full sun. Thanks for clarifying!
Sorry, I am not a native English speaker, nor learned English in school....maybe sometime I miss the real meaning of some words...
However, I think all those depends also about the "sun" each of us have where we living, one place is stronger, another is milder, one have all-year growing season, another have not. It is also tricky, maybe you will see a clowdy sky, but I can tell you, even through the clouds, the sun will burn (my skin was the proof).
And also people have different approach for these things, different methods, achieved from personal experience.
Important thing is to learn from each other.

Back