• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dragon Cayenne

ColdSmoke

Extreme Member
I noticed one of these starts at the nursery today. Anyone have experience with these? I really love the sauce I made with my normal Cayennes last year; I'm curious what the difference is. They sound hotter!

I am curious about this pepper as well. I love cayenne and saw this at the Store the other day and picked one up. Hope they are hot. From the link above isn't that about the heat rating as regular cayennes?

Saw them at the big box store a few weeks ago... I wound up buying Barker's Hot and Golden Cayenne plants at $2 a pop, and almost bit on Dragon and Chili de Arbol as well.

Now it's bugging me...
Heck, after reading this, I'm gonna cave and go buy both of the above, although I have no bleeping idea where to put all the mature plants...  ;)

(It's all your fault!  :D  )

I says on the label that its a hybrid. Too bad. But if its a good cross, maybe it will be a project to stabilize???

I need to read up on how to stabilize hybrids. So i can try my own hand at it... Ugh the headache lol

Big Box didn't have any Chli de Arbol plants, but I did acquire a nicely branched Dragon!
For two bucks, who can say no?  ;)

Dragon!.jpg

I figure I'll nip most of the small blossoms to encourage more plant growth.  Right?

Good question about the blossoms. On here it seems like you get different answers about that. I will let more seasoned growers answer that.

But it is a good looking plant.

parker49 said:
I bought one of the Goldens a few weeks ago on top of the nearly 50 or so plants I started from seed and the few I bought. I'm out of room too :)

I bought one of the Golden Cayennes at Home Depot also, they had a special when I was there.  All peppers were $1.99 in the 3" pots.   Like everyone else I didnt need it with my limited space but couldnt resist. 

"Go Home Depot!"  :dance:
(LOL, never thought I'd say that!)

Two dollars each, and a theoretical 42 varieties of Bonnie peppers to choose from.  For those of us not exclusively into stupid-hot chilies, it's a tempting proposal.

Geonerd said:
"Go Home Depot!"  :dance:
(LOL, never thought I'd say that!)

Two dollars each, and a theoretical 42 varieties of Bonnie peppers to choose from.  For those of us not exclusively into stupid-hot chilies, it's a tempting proposal.
Agreed

I picked one of these up a few weeks ago as well.  I looked around online, but couldn't find too much info about it.  Last year I tried growing some Golden Cayennes, but they just turned red.   :rolleyes:

I am not growing nearly the number of peppers that I did last year.  I still have a few freezer bags full of them.  I have been cutting them up and adding them to store bought salsa.  I think I might try to make a sauce before too long.

I'm tryin these too this year! 

@Geonerd I'd definitely snip off those pods & early flowers. I like to prune up to the V or Y about this point too. Keep the focus of the plant on producing foliage & getting stronger. It looks a bit young to be havin babies! 

FarmerJones said:
I'm tryin these too this year! 

@Geonerd I'd definitely snip off those pods & early flowers. I like to prune up to the V or Y about this point too. Keep the focus of the plant on producing foliage & getting stronger. It looks a bit young to be havin babies! 

Another Cult of the Flaming Dragon member!  ;)

Thanks. I snipped all but two small fruits, each on the largest branch.  I figure (hope) the plant can produce a little early fruit for me w/o slowing its growth too much.  After all this 'hype,' I'm really curious to see what these peppers taste like. 

I'm super excited! My favorite pepper is the pequin because it's compact & packs a punch. You can chomp on the whole pepper raw, getting tears instead of an aneurysm! I'm hoping that the dragon will have that compact punch too. 

I'm super excited! My favorite pepper is the pequin because it's compact & packs a punch. You can chomp on the whole pepper raw, getting tears instead of an aneurysm! I'm hoping that the dragon will have that compact punch too. 

When you say compact, you mean the pepper or plant? My pequin plant is a small tree ugh. I would love a small pequin plant lol

Now you guys got me thinking of running up the road to Lowe's and picking up some of these...it looks like no one else is buying the hots from there and they've got a bunch of Dragon Cayennes and Golden Cayennes left up there. (loaded with aphids, which may be why I didn't bite earlier).   Skinny upright peppers are my weakness though.  Thai peppers were what started my hot obsession.

So I gave in, these guys were aphid free...most of the sweet peppers they had there were loaded with the fat little sapsuckers.  I watched as old ladies kept grabbing yellow bells I had just inspected...wanting so say something but held my tongue.  People probably thought I was a bit off hovering over the pepper section and inspecting plants like it was an extraterrestrial I had never seen.

So I gave them a ride home, proper, safely buckled in with Death's Human album blaring.  I picked up 2 Dragon Cayenne, 2 Golden Cayenne, and some more Thai uprights since my 2 year old plants died a few weeks ago from the cold.

20140518_113232_zpsdb0dd7d3.jpg

I'd be down with trying to stabilize these, sounds fun.

Back