• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help! Can you tell what these are?

Hi All, I found some bugs on my plants today. Some appear to be white/clear and some black. Are these aphids? I know its hard to tell from the pictures but any advice is greatly appreciated.

-jj

298785546_bQUzp-M.jpg

298785518_DxxhQ-M.jpg

298785637_oyp4f-M.jpg

Larger Versions can be seen here:
http://winderjj.smugmug.com/gallery/4887500_BjfwE/1/298785637_oyp4f

bentalphanerd said:
I'd guess aphids - get some neem & mix per instructions.

Do you notice ants around too? - they harvest & milk the aphids.

Can I get neem anywhere?

No ants, I brought these plants outside a couple of days ago just for a few hours.

Outside is a cure. At least here, aphids are an inside infestation. Outside things eat them!

I am a big fan of outside: free light, free aphid control, etc.

I think peppers werte originated outside...;)

Not around here - Aphids are a big problem outdoors. The reason I asked about ants before is that they nip the wings off the aphids so they cant fly away...also carry them to new shoots and plants and even off the plant & underground if theres predators around. The ants also attack the predators.
Last month I went to war on the ants & between that & neem have reduced the aphid population to almost zero.

That is freaking fascinating. The ants use the aphids and protect their investment. No wonder all of you ausssies start zoos and animal planet shows!! *not serious, but you should see how aussies look from here in the states. Hear an aussie voice and there is an 80% chance it is a nature show, 20% it is an infomercial, lol. No offense meant, I know that is far from the real deal.*

bentalphanerd said:
:lol: did i mention every bottle of neem comes with a set of free steak knives :lol:

Well I have plenty of knives but thanks for the offer ;) I'll have to go check the local stores.

This morning I was staring at my plants for about 15 minutes. I definitely noticed a bunch of small black flea looking things flying around my plants. I didn't see any more of the white spidery things I noticed last night.

I put the plants out today in the shade. We'll see :confused:

Cheezydemon, you might know some stuff about us Aussies, but I can tell you some special secrets... If you grow gum trees in the *proper* hydroponic mix, you stop fertilising right when they start flowering and switch to a 1000w HPS lamp. It nearly doubles the yield of koalas, and when they mature they're much stronger than normal bush koalas. They're easily trained too, and make a very effective deterrent to intruders.
;)

Back