• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Clear slime forming in hydroponics system

I have noticed that white slime has been forming on my hydroponics system. I have already done a water change and added new nutrients into the water. I have also tried covering my orange bucket so that no light can get inside. Covering the bucket seems to have worked for 2-3 days but the problem came back. Here is some pictures of the roots and what has been forming on my air stones and under the bucket. What could be causing this problem? And how can I fix it?

Zr1QH8o.jpg

PIwIqIe.jpg

M3X1Qhz.jpg

CJ6vXcZ.jpg

4hPLwx4.jpg

I'm not sure there is a big market for pythium.

youre gonna need to bleach everything, some airstones cant take it so you might need a new one

root rot usually means your water got too hot and/or lacked oxygen (warm water cant hold as much) then the roots start dying and things grow to eat them

there are products like Pro-Tekt and Hygrozyme along with other name brands that can help if youre not too far over the general DWC parameters

Yup. Sterilize every thing with bleach. You might be able to save your plants too by cutting off the dead roots, then plunge in 3% peroxide solution to clean off roots. I saved some of my bamboo this way. I only dip it for about a minute then wash by hand cleaning off slime with tap water. Repeat until all slime is gone off roots. Otherwise you may need to toss the plants. Any slime left will re spawn with bad results.

I have started using Clear-Rez in my Hydro water with good results.

I have found that bleaching the airstone, rinsing well, and then soaking the airstone in 10% peroxide kills all nasty stuff. It also reopens all the clogged pores. Of course rinse with water after peroxide soak.

Yikes...that's nasty :eek:

Gotta keep those nutes below 75, aerated, dark and avoid organics.

I use Cannazyme as an insurance policy and my nute temp is about 73 max.

Good luck with the above.

i will try cleaning everything tomorrow morning. What are some ways of keeping the water temperature from not getting too hot. I live in Arizona so it can be a bit tricky. Should I leave the plant out of the sun?

Buckets need to be blacked out, def root rot, AZ heat will be impossible to maintain temp without a chiller. Even then in the sun it would be hard as heck. Maybe try a sun shade, add ice when ever you can to your nute rez

Man that doesn't look good. My hydro is indoors so I dont know about keeping temps down outside. In my grow room it gets around 85 ambient temp. Every other afternoon I throw a couple ice cubes in there. I also started using a little aquashield with good results. Good luck I hope you get things under control.
Also every nute change I wipe everything down with 3% hydrogen peroxide and then rinse it off.

Hey buddy! Looks like serious root rot... hate to say it but I cannot imagine those plants will survive. Best thing you can do is like others have said, soak the system in bleach. To try and salvage the plants, add 1 tbsp of H2O2 per gallon of water and let that run with the roots in the system.

As far as keeping your rez cooler, you need to relocate to an area that gets more shade. Another less desirable option you could try is to dig a hole in your yard to put the rez into that. It works but, you have a nice size hole in your yard haha

You need to clean up with hydrogen peroxide. Toss the plant and clean/sterilize everything.

Keep your medium cooler and exclude light.

cyberwarrior said:
i will try cleaning everything tomorrow morning. What are some ways of keeping the water temperature from not getting too hot. I live in Arizona so it can be a bit tricky. Should I leave the plant out of the sun?
My hydro is indoors in my sunroom i leave the AC set to 75 for the cat and the plants.

Hydro outside in AZ isn't gonna work IMHO it just gets too hot...if you really really want to look up hydro chillers...very cool tech but $$$.

Or look at a recirc system with a large volume tank in the shade...kinda like AQUAPONICS.

cyberwarrior said:

Use a dutch bucket system so you don't have to rely solely on dissolved oxygen. There isn't going to be much in 110 degree heat.

Oh man that's nasty. What you need to do is easy. Do a result change. Add a cap full of medical grade h2o2 "hydrogen peroxide" to your water then I put some in a mister bottle and sprayed my hydroton with it for a couple days and also made something out of cardboard to cover the hydroton and pot so light couldn't get on it and cause it to grow more. My problem was gone so fast. And I just leave the hydroton covered. Also as far as your roots. They look pretty dead. Botrytis. Or root rot looks like the cause. You could try cutting them off or I recommend just starting over. Hope this helps.

Dreamweaver said:
My hydro is indoors in my sunroom i leave the AC set to 75 for the cat and the plants.

Hydro outside in AZ isn't gonna work IMHO it just gets too hot...if you really really want to look up hydro chillers...very cool tech but $$$.

Or look at a recirc system with a large volume tank in the shade...kinda like AQUAPONICS.

I freeze a bunch 2-liter bottles of water and put them in my reservoir.  I rotate them, change in the morning before work, change after work, and change at night.  I have a 50 gallon rubbermaid reservoir and even when it is really hot, over 90 degrees outside, this seems to keep my water nice and cool.  There were quite a few days over 100 degrees last season and it was still pretty effective. Those big ice cubes take a long time to melt! Also if that still isn't cutting it, try converting a really large 7-day cooler into a reservoir and using the frozen 2-liters, most def you will have zero issues.

Back