• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

D3monic's 2014 Glog n Gardening bonanza

Hi I am D3monic, I am new to this forum. I just moved into our new home this November and the back yard was an absolute barren mess. Just grass.. and oh do I hate grass. 

Winter finally began to release its icy hold and after a lil begging I convinced the my lovely girlfriend to let me dig up the back yard. 

I framed out a few beds to start from 1x8x8 cedar and mapped out where I wanted it. 

First time building any type of a fence. Mistakes were made but none that were un-salvageable. 

I decided to go with drip lines so I wouldn't have to deal with lugging a hose around. Trenched a line in with 1/2" and ran it as a main feed around the beds. I still need to run some more around the fence beds. 

Here she is today, I was adding a lateral 1/2" feed line to the pepper bed so I could run straight drip lines instead of wrapping like that but I got rained out before I could secure it. I got more drip fittings on the way so I can run more drip lines around fence and additional areas. Current peppers in the ground, yummy orange x2 , anch/pablano x9 (I use a lot of these cooking ect), Jalapeno x6 , My habanero seedlings weren't conditioned well and burnt up on me in like 24 hours, cayenne x2, relleno x2 , Cucumber, Tomatillo x2, better boy tomatoes, sweet orange cherry tomatoes, tomato who's name is eluding me atm, Zuks, summer squash, spaghetti squash , peas, my beans seedlings melted, I direct buried some seeds. if they take they take if not oh well, sugar baby watermelon, spinach, lettuce, dutch cabbage, french mescalin blend, some other dainty lettuce, pak choy (another fav)  in the fence beds are  strawberries mixed varieties, white onions, shallots, green onions, leeks, brussels sprouts, broccoli, most herbs including cumin, basil reg and purp ect ect are still being planted as well. 

oh and after a lot of debate I did hops for the gate arbor but it has a ways to go and I may plant more. I don't drink but loved the leaf structure, was toss up between that and dutchmans pipe.  Also plan on doing hanging bags from fence posts for flowers and other peppers and berries. 

outside the fence I am working on a pond. My local menards had HD preformed ponds on sale I picked up a 100gal for $60 
My least favorite part of any yard work is removing sod.. 

Here it is in the ground with some water in it this weekend. Still need more stone for waterfall and accents. I have a remote control color change led light for it as well. Going to be nice. No fish just hopefully some frogs or toads take up residence before the subdivision is finished construction and wipes the rest the pop out. 

Got hit with the pepper bug all a sudden. Ordered a bunch of seeds for me and my old man. late starts, indoors and next years grows. 
Wild Brazil , Orange Wild Brazil (excited for these), Fooled you Jalapeno , Aji Dulce, Piquillo, Aji Pineapple, Fidalga roxa, Hot Tequila, Hatch Chilis, ajijoe's choc handgrenade

from earlier ebay order fatalii, yellow 7pot, serrano, Jamaican hot chocolate , fresno, aji limon.. I have a bakers rack in the basement I plan on growing a few out under and moving a few outside as well. 
originally I had purchased http://www.homedepot.com/p/Monticello-8-ft-x-8-ft-Black-Frame-Quick-Assembly-Greenhouse-Mont-8-BK/203191984?MERCH=RV-_-RV_gm_pip_rr-1-_-NA-_-203191984-_-N  and it was going to be incorporated into the garden/fence but it got too late in the season by the time weather broke enough so I decided to take it back.. I sometimes regret that decision. 

Awesome news! I happened to be the 1500th like over at luckydog and to celebrate he is sending me 3 bottles luckydog hot sauce! How awesome is that? I was just reading how great his sauce was and debating on making an order. Can't wait to try it out. 

Wow, what a beautiful garden space you created for yourself.  That looks fantastic!  If you could get some toads or frogs to take residence in your pond that would be awesome.  They would take care of almost any insect pest problem you could have.

Amazing garden you have created. As Brian stated above, get some frogs into that water but first get some vegetation  around it. You might find it hard to reach some of the fruit on the elbows however the soil looks amazing. Best of luck!

Damn dude!  Lotta work and $ went into that.  Man I miss Menards.  I just moved from Kenosha WI down here to TN and all we have is a Lowe's.  Can't wait to see this all growing like crazy.   Lucky Dog hot sauce is by far the best your gonna have and I promise that.  Good luck with everything.

Thanks for the compliments every one. By far going to be one of the nicest out door gardens I've had. Soil was just a garden mix I had delivered made of soil, sand and compost. Didn't have to amend it really other than with some root bacteria and trace elements. Took 5 yards of dirt and will be 7 yards mulch by the time I am done.
I also own 65' out past our fence and plan on letting some stuff go wild back there like melons, zuks asparagus and pumpkins

didn't get a whole lot done today with storms passing through off and on. Did do a little stacking with the waterfall, it needs a lot more rock but is functional. Still need to finish running the electric too. I was just using a powerstrip to test things out. 

Few of my pepper orders came in this weekend. Received my two dif orders of Fatali (75 seeds total) Aji Limon and a free sample of chillepin.
In even more awesomeness the sample pack from Lucky Dog came and I can't wait to try them out!

no dinner tonight, had fried bacon at kids baseball game this am but it was fried in funnel cake batter. My stomachs been pissed as hell ever since. 

Even more dissapointing was getting home to find that a rabbit got through my privacy fence and the garden fence and ate my big chinese cabbage down to a nub and f**kers ate ALL my broccoli and Brussels sprouts. pretty pissed about those as they where just starting to take off good. They hit the old ladies flowers out front pretty hard too. I wouldn't be so irritated if they didn't make it a point to completely destroy what ever they feast on. I will be up all night with the pellet gun. Someone's dying tonight.  

Edit: ps sorry about pic sizes. I need to change default upload size for that album. 

They stay nice and still when hit with a little light. Whackem and grillem up. I have a small piece of fence I need to patch myself but with the momma fox and 5 kits living 2 doors down I don't think I need to worry till I start culling them....

You have done an excellent job with ridding yourself of grass!

Finally a nice day out today, didn't really get a whole lot done this weekend. Edged a few the old ladies garden beds out front and picked up a bunch of plants/flowers at home depot. Also picked up another 50' of rabbit fence hate to do it but I am going to have to wrap the whole picket fence with it. 
Planted a few more flowers around the pond and hope to get a bunch more rock for it tomorrow. 

Had a cold snap, I don't think it frost but got below 40 two nights. Girls look a lil sad but still kicking.

Squashes and peas look happy... as long as the bastard rabbit doesn't get them tonight. 

Planted a few of the pepper seeds that came this weekend. Doing 4 to a pot and will separate as they mature/cull. Planted 8 of each the following.
Aji-Limon
Fresno
Organic Yellow Fatalli
Fatalli (dif grower)

Just spotted a little ball of evil munching on the old ladies flowers, it took off running when I opened the door but I popped a shot off at it. pretty sure I missed but I'm going to be on patrol now. 

Counted 3 rabbits seem to reside across the street at the assholes with all the dandelions. Also two cats trying to get at my baby robins. Doesn't look like the rabbit returned last night. Found my old ph probe in the basement and double checked the raised beds ph.

Looks good to me.

Well I hate to say it but I finally broke down and put up a rabbit fence. Doesn't make it look as bad as I thought it would but still not happy about it. Too many evenings of me pacing the property with a bb gun in my boxers. 

still killin a wabbit when the opportunity arises though. Far too many and too destructive. 

the back yard was an absolute barren mess. Just grass.. and oh do I hate grass.

That's gold :)

Fresh cumin? Awwwww man that sounds awesome. The beds look awesome and totally make up for the wobbly fence :rofl:

Just pullin' your leg hehe, looks like an great start to the year.

That post thats crooked as hell on the old fence drives me and the old lady nuts, it's set in concrete like that and won't budge. Will have to pull like 4 posts to straighten it. We just going to do a vinyl eventually. 

Amazing upgrade to the plot! That's some work ya put into it for sure. Looking forward to seeing more now.

You should introduce the cats to the rabbits, it seems like that might solve two issues at the same time.

I keep the bunnies at bay with a light sprinkling of blood meal around the perimeter of the garden area.  It's not 100%, but much easier and less of an eye sore than chicken wire fencing.

Been a Beautiful week here in IL, money was empty until this fri so I didn't get a lot done yard wise but things are looking good. 

We picked up a new puppy.. we still aren't 100% on name. We was with Brody for a bit but are gravitating to Maximillion. 

He is just so god damn cute! A lil handshy, pretty sure he was fresh out the puppymill but he is warming up to us quite a bit. 

Picked up some more stone for the waterfall and getting ready to start foaming gaps here in a few.

Love the leaf structure on this one. Hold nice round droplets of water after a rain. 

Seedlings finally poppin 

Serrano

Aji-Limon  

I currently have them outside as they sprout to help keep them hardened off from the start. I got more seeds coming from aji joe the ones I will be growing in garden will probably be direct sow and I can use little clear cups upside down over them as mini greenhouses until they ready. 

Store bought habs- these a few others had lots of pests on them at purchase so I soaked them in a 5 gal bucket full of soapy water and h202. I didn't care if they died.. they are doing great and not a single thripe, mite or aphid to be seen.

Cheyenne part of same bug batch.

B. Sprouts N Leeks

Carrots

What is left of the broccoli and scallions after rabbit attack. Seems to be bouncing back nicely.
IMG_9533.jpg
Only eggplant left from rabbits and white onions
IMG_9534.jpg
Salad anyone?
IMG_9536.jpg
From left to right, two rows of Pak Choy, lettuce and dutch cabbage
IMG_9537.jpg
rabbit ate this down to the nub but its coming back nice.
IMG_9538.jpg
Peas, beans, squashes
IMG_9539.jpg

Got lots more pics but this editor is lame... I think I Need someone to say something before I can post more pics or it groups them all in one post and doesn't allow it.  about to give up with this editor. 

Maters

Peppers

Yummy snackling

Anchos

and a tomatillo flower before I head off to home depot for a smoker and storage shed.. yay!

Oops, haven't updated all season :(  Well everything did well for the most part. Pablanos produced really well and I had a grey trey frog from the tadpoles I ordered stick around all summer. I named him pablano pete because at least 2-3 times a week I would find him sleeping on top a pablano pepper. 

It's getting cold up here and already had our fist light frost. I started bringing peppers inside. These where started really late season with intent on bringing in for winter. They look pretty ragged and need to be thinned out.
bottom far left was a ghost that got eaten by rabbits to not much more than a twig. Hoping now that it's in a fresh pot and under lights  it will do better. 
 right of it is Jamaican Hot Chocolate that hasn't produced any fruit yet, yellow 7 pot with a few fruit and a transplanted fatali finally starting to produce. 

Yellow 7 pot

Pot full of Aji Limon

Tomorrow i'm digging up some aji pineapple, wild brazil, scotch bonnets and a few other things as well. 

Just starting some Butch T yellow and Aji omni color for hydro system. 

Got a lot done over the summer yard wise. 

Planted some river birch

pics a few months old, I will get some end of season one's tomorrow. 

Pond. 

Garden

and the grill area while it was still under construction. 

Back