• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

What is this Tree?

I found a Tree I want to put in at my in-laws house, but we don't know what it is.
All we know is that it looks nice and attracts loads of humming birds.

This is in the pay area of San Diego. aka Zone 10
IMG_20140511_173014_zps771a7ac2.jpg

IMG_20140511_173002_zps1b0ec9fc.jpg

This is the best picture I could get...

Any way of getting a better pic of the flower? to me it looks like a Sweetshade tree. Cant see the flower... it might be a Tecoma stans Yellow bells

It could be a species of Tabebuia, or Tecoma stans, but I`m not convinced by the leaves. There is also a yellow version of Spathodea campanulata, the African Tulip tree.

I'm afraid this is the best I'm going to get of the flowers.

IMG_20140512_094450_zpsc2c29646.jpg

Seriously though, this thing brings in the humming birds like a beacon!  And the leaves look so healthy and lush green.
Can trees like this be grown from a clipping?

It looks like a Tecoma stans, except the leaves are smooth and not ceriated.

Runescape said:
Only one way to find out, lol. It does look kinda neat...
Its in the middle of the neighbors yard, and they don't get along with my in-laws... And I don't blame them :rofl:

That's why I couldn't get better pictures.

Cayennemist said:
Its in the middle of the neighbors yard, and they don't get along with my in-laws... And I don't blame them :rofl:

That's why I couldn't get better pictures.
LOL. That would explain the crystal clear 1st picture, and then the following two that look like you took them with a potato.

Runescape said:
LOL. That would explain the crystal clear 1st picture, and then the following two that look like you took them with a potato.

lol just because I have 8mp camera on my phone doesnt mean the zoom focus is good :rolleyes:

I want a DSLR BAD! with some good macro and micro lenses.

Cayennemist said:
I'm afraid this is the best I'm going to get of the flowers.

IMG_20140512_094450_zpsc2c29646.jpg

Seriously though, this thing brings in the humming birds like a beacon!  And the leaves look so healthy and lush green.
Can trees like this be grown from a clipping?

It looks like a Tecoma stans, except the leaves are smooth and not ceriated.

most trees and shrubs and just about every plant can grow from clippings, trees, shrubs and roses take close to a year to root though,  there are some really good vids on youtube about cuttings and how to root cuttings, you should look into it. it can be very rewarding if you have the patients and the space to let it sit and develop for a year or so.  that is a very nice looking tree, and the fact it brings in humming birds is very appealing.

Back