smoked bacon

I have a nice pork belly thats been curing, and plan on smoking it in a few days. I've never done this before but I'm really looking forward to eating some real bacon and maybe trying 1 chunk extra spicy.:mouthonfire: BTW, I have hickory and apple wood for this batch
Does anyone have any experience with bacon(smoked or not) other than eating it? I've done a lot of reading and it sounds simple enough but any help would be appreciated.:)

you do know it is what is called a cold smoke you do not want the smoke over 100F no lower then 80F you have to push the smoke through a tube like on the cloth dryer to cool it down a bit. only do it once and had a pro with me, but there is no better bacon.
Dan

LET IT BURN

I have a smoker with an offset firebox which slow smokes fairly well. I was also thinking of using my vertical propane smoker with the addition of an electric burner for cooler smoke generation. I basically plan to cold smoke for about 6-8 hours at 80F- 100F

Well I had a good 8 hrs of bacon smoking and what I sampled so far is incredible. Now I can't wait for breakfast for the sober test.:P

This is part way, and I'm half snapped

and after 8+hrs of cold smoke and I'm surprised I can still hold the camera

POTAWIE its a good job your in Canada as id be round with welsh black fillet and some of your smoked bacon it would be a well decent bbq :)

"and after 8+hrs of cold smoke and I'm surprised I can still hold the camera"
Ya, I noticed all the empty beer bottles in the second pic...ugh...budweiser...

Hey, since you're in Canada, would that be "Canadian Bacon" ? bwahahaha....sorry, it's early...

just wow!:drooling:
is there something you cant do ? because you have a green thumb thats been dipped in gold & you sure know how to smoke :lol: :cool:

that bacon sure looks far better than what you get at the stores. more meat & less fat (or are the pictures decieving ?) it looks like something that might be just a tad healthier to eat vs the really fatty store bought bacon.

Store bought bacon is usually injected with water and liquid smoke where home smoked bacon is done under your own control and real smoke. This is my first attempt and I've already thought of ways to improve the next batch. The chunk I tried this morning went quick and had to be cooked(started) in a bit of olive oil.
I'm waiting to borrow a meat slicer, soon I'll take pics and feast

Well I didn't get the meat slicer yet so I'm cutting some thick slices by hand. I just can't get enough of this stuff. I call it vitamin B

Het IGGy I got some cold budweiser in the fridge for you:lol:
Well at least they're 5% Canadian budweiser.;)
I want to try some Canadian back bacon eventually but I'm happy with regular pork bellies for now. Its amazing how good this DIY stuff is compared to store bought, and slicing a little thick is always nice too

POTAWIE nice bacon buddy..but you do need a decent beer with it and I.G nos his beer as ive seen him on a well known homebrew site ;)

Indeed. For someone who's tastes include home smoked bacon, american pilsner swill is, with all due respect, beneath you.

Drinking Bud, Miller or Coors, is like eating the microwave bacon they now have in the supermarket. You don't have to homebrew, but if not, at least buy something decent. Sorry! It is a subject near and dear, and if I didn't like you I wouldn't bother to mention it.

Awesome looking bacon. I have GOT to do that soon!

I will no longer take pics with bubweiser bottles in the background as this seems to offend. I drink what I like and bud gets me pissed quick without much taste, just the way I like it. I have to go out to a pub to really enjoy a beer, otherwise the smoother the better and the more the merrier.
BTW, I'd never drink that American bud:)

Back