smokers Oklahoma Joe's a good smoker?

I am just getting in to smokers. I have my eye on a

Oklahoma Joe's Highlander

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/for/4461507165.html

What do you guys think? is this a good one or what?
00T0T_hsVvSeza9Vv_600x450.jpg

I saw one at Lowe's and I thought it was top-notch. Good welds, and thick steel. Not the flimsy 1/8". Well designed as well. Chimney from the side, not the top, pulls smoke across.
Is that new or used? Check Lowe's, it wasn't that expensive!

Get it. Really, I was impressed. The steel is very heavy, when you open the lid if feels like quality.

I agree with all of the other opinions here. I've seen these, and they seem much better quality than the Char-Griller I bought for the same price. Bigger, too. Pull the trigger on it.

Cayennemist said:
He says its new for 200$

Walmart its $280
Cant find it at lowes.com
I work at Lowe's in the grill dept as a matter of fact.  We don't have the Highlander, the one we carry is the Longhorn (lowes.com says its a char-broil but that's who makes the OK Joe).  The Longhorn is $429, but has an extra 160 sq.in of primary cooking area.  If you go back to Lowes.com and type "131736" in the search bar that's the item number for the smoker.  Overall a very solid grill, only popular amongst a select few since more people are going for propane these days but either way it sells alright.  Never heard any complaints from people who have bought them... we also have another smoker thats a bit smaller (816sq.in.) for $179 (item # 404330).

Yeah sreinhard88 that's the one I saw, the larger one. The pic looks exactly the same, I imagine it's just smaller, and the steel gauge is the same. Both are Oklahoma Joe's, that's what that plate says on front.

For $200 you can't beat this! I'd get one.

Just be careful. Is he a retailer? He seems to be offering the warranty. But I've never see anyone undersell Wal-Mart. It's possible he just copied the text from the site.

Post pics!

PrimeTime said:
loquat?

Do tell....

Yeah I cut down a Loquat Tree. Its a small fuzzy fruit in the plum family. The wood is very hard and has a slight sweet aroma. So I busted our the chop saw and cut it up in to chunks.

bigJimLoquatExpanded.jpg
 ​
 ​

Well as bad luck would have it, a large fire is threatening Vista CA, the area that the guy on Craigslist lives. He has not responded to anymore emails so I am assuming he has been evacuated.

My heart goes out to this guy and anyone else in San Diego that is near the fires.

I know this is late getting to the party but here's my 2 cents. I have the OK Joes Longhorn and like it. I bought it at Lowes. It seems good from all I checked out. Thicker metal and good welds and craftsmanship. The equivalent smoker in a higher revered brand(s) would be $1200-$1600. I thought this is a good price to get my feet wet. I have no bad things to report. I want to get/make a diffuser plate for the bottom of the smoker chamber. The reason for this is the giant hole where the heat/smoke from the fire box comes into the smoke chamber tends to overcook anything placed at that end of the chamber while the other ends still needs to cook more. A diffuser blocks the heat from coming out that big opening and directs it more evenly along the bottom of the smoke chamber and holes in it allow the heat to come out more balanced. I also replaced the thermometer with a Tel-Tru thermometer which seems to be a favored accurate unit most of the experienced pros use. If you go to smokingmeatsforums.com there is a wealth of knowledge and many threads on this model.

I had my OK Joe for about 14 years before the firebox completely rusted out.

A couple mods I made were to put a large piece of steel angle iron on top of the grill at the firebox. This reduced the large hole size coming from the firebox although as WichitaChef said it still was the hot side of the cooking area. It also helped push the smoke lower into the cooking area more. The second mod I made was to take some aluminum flashing and roll it into a tube, then I put that into the bottom of the chimney. This also forces the smoke lower towards the grilling area.

I made many racks of ribs on it and if I could have purchased a replacement firebox easily I would probably still be using it. They changed which side the firebox attaches to so the ones that are available now would not work.

One mod I did not make but think is a good idea would be a charcoal basket, even one with a couple baffles in it to slow down the charcoal would have been ideal.

-Alden

I look at smokers like I do Pit Bull Terriers,there are no bad Pit Bull Terriers just pathetic owners
Having used both for 40+ yrs,its a well proven assessment

Back