• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water How do I know if im over watering ?

My plants are only a couple inches tall, my wife tells me they are too dry , but I think she over waters.
Is there an easy way for me to tell how much water they need?
 Im growing Jalapenos ,Thai dragon,and Fatalli mostly.
I want to try habanero and Ghost too
 I dont want to mess them up cous im out seeds.
any advise would be appreciated.

jojo said:
If u think your overwatering, you probably are. Water pepper plants when u notice leaves drooping. This is their way of asking u for a sip of water.
+1

Its so hard because they are your babies, but to much love can be bad. Personally I have ben watering about twice a week. I go by wieght. Mine are in two and three gal pots. I have been watering Wednesday and Saturday from the bottom. I have a big storage container that I fill with water and a squirt of 10-10-10. They float it it untill I see water seep to the surface. I have flowers everywhere on my little Thai teenagers:

10168152_10201878316268141_8530161482063180697_n_zpsd22fbe2e.jpg

I've heard that its best to let them dry out a little bit. Like jo mentioned, if the leaves are starting to droop, give them some water.

Common signs of over-watering are yellowing leaves...

I forgot to water one of my plants 1 week and the leaves hang straight down, i gave it some water and 30-45 min later it was fine, so its look safe to find out how long it can go between watering. This was a plant without fruit, i dont know if its ok to do that with a plant with fruit?

I find oedema to be the first sign of too much water, but anything like mushrooms in the soil or moss or fungus gnat are also indicators. 
Remember that "overwatering" can be caused by saturated / poorly draining soil as well as lack of air circulation or heat or sunlight hours, so it's not as simple as "how often to water", rather better to ensure all conditions are met well to avoid disease/problems. 

Back