• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Grafting hot peppers

Does anyone have any experience grafting hot peppers? For example can you graft a Bellpepper rootstock to a Trinidad scorpion? Also any other tips would be helpful.

I have absolutely no experience with this, and am completely pulling this outta my arse.
But, I am growing avocados from seed, and have seen many videos on the grafting process. Being that their the same family and all, I'd think that it should work. Not quite sure why you wouldn't just grow a scorpion from the start though, and cut out the middle man?

*edited: the same family being the two peppers - and not referring to a pepper and an avocado

I had a large Habanero De Arbol tree growing and tried for several years to graft branches from a ton of different other peppers to it.
I wanted 1 plant putting out a ton of different peppers at a time.
Never worked for me.

BUT I've seen several successful attempts over the internet.
I just might not have the right touch...

One of these days I might try again if I get another 12ft. X 12ft. tree hab. going again.

I have a large bell pepper plant that I started last year in the garden and I tried to overwinter it. It froze badly and was significant damaged. Only the stock remains all buds have been damaged. My thought is can I use that well-established large robust rootstock from the bell pepper and graph to it? Will the plant also grow larger because of the larger root system needed to grow bell peppers?

Don't see why it wouldn't work.

My tip would be to get a Devils Plant/Cockroach Berry. People graft eggplants to those for 'eggplant trees'. You can graft peppers to it… Would be amazing. Technically you could graft peppers and tomatoes to it. Call it the 'Salsa Tree' :D

^Pretty sure what I said was factual ^_^

I agree with spicy, I've researched all day and solanacae capsicoides, the devils plant or cockroach berry is the best way to go, with the next being the maxifort tomato or an exceptionally vigorous hot pepper. I'm going to try fatalii rootstock personally.. and order some devils plant seeds

Spicy Mushroom said:
I found this last week. Looks like it would be more of a monster than the Devils Fig. Grows up to 12 feet tall, 8 feet wide O_O However it's for zones 10+ 

http://taste.ecrater.com/p/10090960/cyphomandra-solanum-betacea-20-seeds-tree?keywords=Solanum

I'm going to order a few different species and see what takes the grafts.

Funny enough, after reading your post, I was looking through a book I got from my college library, a guide on tomatoes in north america, book was published in 1977..

I just saw that plant today in my pages, it grows fruit that look like egg shaped tomatoes, they're from peru, been cultivated by the natives for a long time and the book tells me they do alright in NA, so I think you'll do fine.

In fact, I'm thinking I'm going to get one too, they take 2 years to establish themselves according to the book, and back then atleast you could find plants. I'm going to look for plants to speed the process.

Funny enough, after reading your post, I was looking through a book I got from my college library, a guide on tomatoes in north america, book was published in 1977..

I just saw that plant today in my pages, it grows fruit that look like egg shaped tomatoes, they're from peru, been cultivated by the natives for a long time and the book tells me they do alright in NA, so I think you'll do fine.

In fact, I'm thinking I'm going to get one too, they take 2 years to establish themselves according to the book, and back then atleast you could find plants. I'm going to look for plants to speed the process.

Sounds cool keep us posted.

To me this subject is about 2 different issues.

One is grafting root stock,the other is grafting a ton of branch grafts to a single plant to get a multi variety pod production.

My idea was to find a LARGE TREE to graft Everything I could to it so I'd get a plant that might have several types of varieties on it.

Since I never got my cuttings to take,I don't know if they would be the same since they were grafted to the tree.
I read a lot of stuff about grafts of stuff to root stock because the graft of root stock is different than branch grafts.

I know apple growers that 1 tree grows several varieties of apples per tree.

I want the same for my peppers.

smokemaster said:
I know apple growers that 1 tree grows several varieties of apples per tree.

This is somehow what I made this spring, took two apple branches from my neighbor and graft on my apple tree. God helped me, first time grafting, both are growing so far, having nice leaves and also own branches.
I know people graft tomato on potato plant, so they are eating tomato, and in the autumn they have also potatoes too. Never heard about pepper grafting, and I think there is important what kind of grafting are you using. If the pepper is older, maybe at least one year old, and already lignified, maybe you (smokemaster) can try the method did with my apple tree, maybe this could work. I will try to put a picture.

Here the apple tree grafting. The tree had 2 old main branches. I have used 2 young branches on one from the old branch. You could try on pepper like this, and next year graft again on older branches.

Edit: left is one of the old branches. Right are the 2 new branches, grafted this spring. All you see above grows after grafting.

I got some seeds in a trade Marked as red Tamarillos and didn't realize they were the tree tomatoes!

I haven't looked for plants beyond my local nurseries, but in the mean time I have these.

Unfortunately they will take a year or more to grow to the point I want them at. I think. I might try a graft when they're smaller.

We'll see, planting 6, so I have a lot of room for trial and error.

Back