• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

The Addiction

Here is a picture of some of my sauces that I have made lately

Attachments

• sauces.jpg
    sauces.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 60
The one in the middle in the fansy jar is my ever evolving sauce. Each time I make a new sauce I add some of it into this jar. It has become a favorite sauce with everyone who has tried it. I know in some cultures they do this with soup stock and also with sourdough starter. You remove some and add new ingredients to your " stock" .

The one in the tabasco bottle is is my regular recipe just put through my juicer 
The green colored ones are made with tomitillo and lime. otherwise same recipe
The red ones are made with tomatos and fewer habs(4) instead of 12.
The one on the far right bright orange has 30 habs, cirtus from lemon,lime and orange, 
The one in the middle fancy jar- this one I continue to add to it from each batch. it continually changes.

Here is my basic recipe that I use below.

1 small Onion -- chopped 
2-10 cloves Garlic -- chopped. I like garlic so I use more
1 cup chopped Carrots or 1 Cup carrot juice( I use Costco Organic Juice)
1-2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
4 Scotch Bonnet Habanera Peppers, 4 Serrano and 4 Jalepeno chopped (or 12-18 Habs)
2 Red or Orange Bell Peppers
1 ea juice from Orange, Lemon and Lime
Zest from each to your liking
2 Tablespoons of Honey
1 Tablespoon of Fresh Ginger
1 Tablespoon of Sea Salt 
1 Bunch of Cilantro
2 Tomatoes chopped(Optional)

Depending on how hot you like your sauces, I've used a 12-20 Habenero's and left out the Jalepeno's and Serrano's. Place ingredients into a blender and mix to your liking until you get the desired texture and thickness of your sauce. Last time I added some fresh pineapple and orange and left out the lemon and lime and it was really tasty.

I made this one today for a couple of co-workers who like things hot. I used the recipe above in smaller proportions and 20 habs. Then I added 1 TBS of Red Savina powder, 1 dried Trinidad Scorpion pepper and 1 Bhut/Naga Jolokia pepper to the mason size jar mixture. Here is a pic below. This is my hottest sauce yet.

Attachments

• Extra Hot.jpg
    Extra Hot.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 49
I just made a variation of the recipe this morning for work with a fresh pineapple I bought yesterday. No other fruit or citrus except the pineapple and it tastes really good. You get the fruit of the pineapple immediately then comes the slow build of the heat from the habs,1 TBS red savina powder and the one dried trinidad scorpion pepper added to the mix. Yummy !

Attachments

• Pineapple.jpg
    Pineapple.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 43
Looks great and you should try fermenting a batch of your basic recipe. If you try it just leave out the ACV and add 2% salt to the mix. I'd also try a batch with the added Habs and leaving the Jalapenos and Serranos in. 

Cheers,
RM

I will be fermenting this year when I begin harvesting my plants. Thanks for the suggestions !

For some reason this turned out hotter than the last 2 above recipes which had some super hots in them. This batch has 25 habs and 1 TBS of Red Savina powder. I must of purchased a much hotter habenero from the store this time.

Attachments

• Fiery Habenero.jpg
    Fiery Habenero.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 45
Wow its almost been a year since this thread and man how things have changed and evolved with the sauce. I really liked my fermented habanero sauce I made this winter and I'm going to try and see about starting a small business this year. Wish me luck. 

Good luck friend! I was going to for the small business thing starting this year with mashes, powders and dried peppers seeing how much ive been harvesting the last couple years but alas, no peppers at all this year. I've been battling fungus knats that showed up in some Merical Grow potting mix I repotted a house plant in! Showed up in December haven't got rid if them yet and with the Pennsylvania mountain growing season I have my seeds should have been started beginning of February. Not a one started yet! Thanks Merical Grow and Walmart! I make my own potting soil but couldn't dig it up from under the foot or so of snow and that plant was pushing its self out of the pot! And I started taking care of it when my mom passed and she had it almost 20 years so its a high priority... oh well, I've gotten great peppers from John Ford before and this fall I'll do the same. I'll still have sauce and drieds just none for sale. Again good luck friend! And that continuous sauce is very interesting! I think I might start one with the almost empty jars in the fridge!

Back