• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Tropical Jalapeno Mash

Sizzle Lips

Extreme Member
Started a new ferment today.....I call it Tropical Jalapeno

1 Kilo Jalapenos
300 grams pineapple
454 grams mango
6-8 cloves garlic
Fresh ginger

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2587.jpg

Into the jar with my food grade screens and cheesecloth bag with marbles to hold it under the brine......2 tblsp pickling salt and 2 cups filtered water and
 for a starter....whey I collected
from active greek yogurt.
Airlock on top and ready for a 40-50 day ferment.

IMG_2583.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

IMG_2591.jpg

IMG_2597.jpg

See you back here in 40-50 days... :drooling: :dance:

RocketMan said:
There's a lot of sugars in there Sizzle. I usually let a mash like that go for 90 days so that the lacto have plenty of time to process the sugars and it gets just a touch of aging. JMHO though. 

Looks good :)
Yes you are right about the sugar content of this mash RM....I will most likely let it go for a long time....as well as my other mash that has a pound of strawberries in it...to make sure all the sugars get eatin up. :)
The jalapeno mash has taken right off over nite....tons of bubble action. :dance:

Thanks for all your helpful hints.

sounds great. i've made a few very similar to that recipe and they turn out nice. where did you get the food grade screens? are they just stainless steel?

hoibot said:
. where did you get the food grade screens? are they just stainless steel?
These are cut from what they call "Frog Matt"......food grade,non stick bbq screen....works great for holding the mash under the brine.

Sizzle Lips said:
These are cut from what they call "Frog Matt"......food grade,non stick bbq screen....works great for holding the mash under the brine.

Thanks for the info. Do they flex at all so you can cut them to fit below the shoulder of the jar or is it pretty stiff?

hoibot said:

Thanks for the info. Do they flex at all so you can cut them to fit below the shoulder of the jar or is it pretty stiff?
Yes they are very flexable....I use two just for a little more stability.I then use a cheese cloth bag filled with marbles to hold the mesh down on to the mash....works outstanding.

http://www.frogmats.ca/

Well guys and gals it has been 80 days...long enough ...time to finish this batch up.
The P.H was 3.17 right out of the jar....I cooked it for 15 minutes and the blended the crap out of it.....back into the pot and cooked 10 more minutes....I added cup of vinegar,cup and a half filtered water.1/4 teaspoon Xanthan gum and 2 tablespoons Agave Syrup.....blened again .....back into the pot and brouht back up to a simmer and bottled......still only yielded 9 bottles from all the cooking.
Happy with the results...going to give it a week in a cool dark spot before giving it the real taste test.Here are a couple more pics of the finished product...The P.H. of the final product after cooking and the addition of other ingredients was...3.27

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

Back