• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

White Bass with Orange-Pepper-Soy Sauce

al2ltx.jpg

Fly-caught white bass, poached in Cayenne-pork stock with fresh thyme on a bed of red quinoa and amaranth, lamb's quarters, and purslane (wild greens) with an orange-soy-black pepper-sauce with green ají amarillo and dried Jamaican hot chocolate chiles

Almost less trouble to do than type up, and worth it: pretty decent grub.

Lakes in north Texas?  Maybe back in the day, before the perma-parching set in.

Those fish are from the Lower Illinois River near Gore, Oklahoma.  That's a neat fishery which can yield white and yellow bass, rainbow and brown trout, sauger, and, sometimes, good-sized striped bass that come in from the Arkansas River to feed on trout buffet. 

(And the bait shop in Gore puts out surprising decent grub: come for the fishin' report; stay for the pizza.)

By the way, I like fried whites (with guacamole) as much as the next guy, but that hot orange-soy is good enough to sip through a straw.

Those were almost exclusively males to around 13 inches.  The longest white bass I've caught were just over 16 inches.  Averages vary based on water body and which gender you happen to be catching.

Fish a rod that bends nicely (I happened to be using a 1960s Berkley fiberglass), and there's plenty of fun to be had.  Those Lower Illinois River whites tended to get broadside in the current and swim some strong arcs.

You might know white bass are prolific and short-lived, so it's a species to feel OK about harvesting for food.

swellcat said:
Those were almost exclusively males to around 13 inches.  The longest white bass I've caught were just over 16 inches.  Averages vary based on water body and which gender you happen to be catching.

Fish a rod that bends nicely (I happened to be using a 1960s Berkley fiberglass), and there's plenty of fun to be had.  Those Lower Illinois River whites tended to get broadside in the current and swim some strong arcs.

You might know white bass are prolific and short-lived, so it's a species to feel OK about harvesting for food.

Yes its the same where I live in the California Delta/Bay Area with Stripers. Good eating and plentiful. And along the Coast we get really nice White Sea-Bass.

That looks really good!!!! But how's the texture of eating fish on the same fork as quinoa? I'd imagine I'd eat them separately, but looks like you have it on top so just wondering. 

not so different as rice or farro or bulger - in fact I'd put quinoa right close to bulger you'd get in tabbouleh.  

I know the texture of quinoa I meant how is the combined texture. :)

I find quinoa a bit odd of a texture, not as fluffy as couscous, a bit firm and chewy... the delicate fish and then little chewy bites, was wondering if it paired well in the same bite. I thought it might be disruptive. Fluffy rice I don't mind, but quinoa has that chew. Hell I'd try it, but just wondered since he plated it.

Tried quinoa only once - didn't nail it, I guess ...

Have heard things like you have to practically give it fried-rice treatment to make it half-enjoyable, but am sure it's not quite that dire if you know it well ...

Back