• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Favorite Pickling Chiles?

Besides the obvious Mexican varities like jalapenos and serranos, what are some pickling favorites, ones that you would eat along side a meal?

any good marinating juice recipe   vinegary taste but not too acid if possible...

basically something similar to stuff sold in grocery

Hammerfall said:
any good marinating juice recipe   vinegary taste but not too acid if possible...

basically something similar to stuff sold in grocery
Thanks, but I was asking about chiles, not the brine.  I have a good brine recipe.
Nigel said:
Tepins like these,

Mmm.  Those look different than the piquins I grew last year.  I'll bet they're a killer!  Thanks.
romy6 said:
Aji lemons are super tasty pickled 
Mmm..Thanks.  I have some in the ground right now.

when it comes to pickling, i vote for C. Annuums, they are all great for that.

i pickled some yellow rocotos while back, they were great, thick walled, remained crunchy, had a hit of tropical taste, and not extremely hot.

also, i did try some super hot C.Chinense, it was a mistake, the strong aroma is too much, it overpowers the other ingredients and spices added to the pickling mix, 

the C. Frutescens are also good for picking, but i personally found them too acidic and sharp.    

every annum i've grown is great for pickling .. especially love last season's batch of cayenne, bulgarian carrot and goats weed ..
I always add just a little garlic and whole black pepper grains to the mix for aroma ... beside water, vinegar, salt and some sugar
they're delicious and keep a lot of burn in them ... I don't know about the chinense's ... maybe I'll try to pickle some this year if anyone has a good recipe

PepperLover said:
when it comes to pickling, i vote for C. Annuums, they are all great for that.

i pickled some yellow rocotos while back, they were great, thick walled, remained crunchy, had a hit of tropical taste, and not extremely hot.

also, i did try some super hot C.Chinense, it was a mistake, the strong aroma is too much, it overpowers the other ingredients and spices added to the pickling mix, 

the C. Frutescens are also good for picking, but i personally found them too acidic and sharp.
Thanks. I'm wondering how Cherry Bombs would take to pickling. Would you leave them whole, or maybe cut them in half?

Back