• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Rib Doneness Poll

HNB, I knew YOU would like the pull! I'm going by what BBQ contest judges say.... my fiancee says she doesn't care what anyone says. She likes them fall off the bone tender. Doesn't care that it's overdone. The way I see it, once they pass the bend test, they're done!

14285820796_795f173591_h.jpg

Great job Buzz..... :P
Now I want to fire the smoker up and toss some ribs on.
Ive got a few racks in the big freezer but it's a bit too late to get it started now.
Maybe Sunday!

I screwed up my last batch so I'm turned off ribs for a little while. Tried to get too cute with a pair of back ribs and they didn't turn out how I wanted em.

To answer the question though, I like pull off the bone tender.

Hey man, if your girl likes 'em like that, she is not wrong. It's preference.

However, if you can pull the bone clean out, they are overdone. They lost moisture and the meat separated from the bone, allowing air to enter in between and dry them out further. You will notice the bone will also be dry, and not wet.

The goal is a slight tug but not a tear or rip to get the meat off. The meat should still be connected to the bone, that means it kept its moisture. This is done though proper temp control and technique.

"Fallin' off the bone" is a bit of a misnomer. But it holds true for braising. Any ribs you cook in a crock pot you want fallin' off the bone. Since you are braising, they are not drier, but even more tender, because there is liquid, not air. And it's a stew you are eating with a fork, so you want the meat to fall off. So this may be where the term comes from. But when applied to BBQ, it is wrong. But again, if she likes them that way, SHE is not wrong. So you better not be showing her this poll saying "I told you so!" LOL. That would be messed up.

PS. If you foil your ribs on the grill and add a liquid like apple juice you are braising. I've done Asian style with ginger and liquids foiled. So if you do this, and they are fallin' off the bone, they are not overdone. So it depends on how you are cooking them, as to what she is saying. MANY ways to cook ribs.

Also,a lot of times,the higher the fat content is of the rib,the faster it might end up being just right even if it is falling off the bone.
Melted fat makes the meat not stay on the bone sometimes,as posted above about drying out etc.
Fatty racks can be abused more.

I buy a lot,if not most stuff on sale.
That sometimes/most times means poor/less desirable cuts,or stuff people won't pay regular price for.

Sometimes the rub makes a difference too.
I like rubbing beef ribs down up to 24hrs before and pork about 8-10hrs.
Cold smoke only over wood.
Usually Hickory and Scrub Oak.

As posted above,Technique and other things (the old lady IS always right...)quality of the rack etc. all have a bearing on the final product.

I find Pork baby backs are easier to overcook.

I usually go for Country style myself-IF on sale.
The right amount of fat and meat.
GREAT for grinding into sausage too.

http://www.porkbeinspired.com/Cut_Country-StyleRibs.aspx

Ready for an overnight sleep,then a cold smoke...

smokemaster said:
Sometimes the rub makes a difference too.
I like rubbing beef ribs down up to 24hrs before and pork about 8-10hrs.
Cold smoke only over wood.
Usually Hickory and Scrub Oak.

Ready for an overnight sleep,then a cold smoke.

You cold smoke pork? Are you sure you are cold smoking? That is very dangerous with meat because of the time it takes to smoke and the low temps... it is in the danger zone for hours or days. Usually recommended for cheese and veg only. Curious. What temps are you smoking at? Cold is 70 to 100. And can you even get a bark with cold smoke??

Lemme know. Interested. Please post finished pics as Proof of Life! :lol:

Country ribs arent ribs....

They are the sh*ty end of the chop.

Not to be treated like a rib at all. Treat like a chop.

PrimeTime said:
Country ribs arent ribs....

They are the sh*ty end of the chop.

Not to be treated like a rib at all. Treat like a chop.
You can still buy and smoke them to try out different rub recipes.  Usually cheap and easy to split up/mark with toothpicks to differentiate between them.

But yeah...they're just above the shoulder, amirite?

PrimeTime said:
Yeah i guess you could say that samcan. I just meant they didn't fit in a discussion of rib doneness imho
Yeah you're right.

Coincidentally, my Dad cuts his ribs into seperate pieces before cooking. They're not quite single ribs but they're 2-3 each. Not quite traditional but they're not bad. Still not the same cut of meat though, which is the bottom line here I guess.

My wife likes em 'fall off the bone tender' which I achieve by foiling the rack at the 2.5 hr point with a 1/2 cup of liquid (apple juice and beer) and a touch more rub.  My racks are not foiled cause I like a lil crunch on the edges.  Ribs are served 'dry' with sauce on the side - like they should be ;)

I aim for the slight pull area.  I don't mind if they are fall off the bone either.  Oven ribs rule! :lol:

1/4" rib bone showing on the ends of the bone and the bend test.  I like my ribs a bit on the drier side too.

I like the slight tug but a lot of people think that falling off the bone is the way they should be done and how they judge tenderness that and over compensating with sweet sticky BBQ sauce. I like my ribs with just the rub and sprinkled with the rub after coming off the smoker.

Back