• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone know of a Purple Colour Cap. Frutescen

A purple colour C.Frutescen:  have anyone come across an existence of such a variety?

Last year I managed to get hold of a variety from the North Malaysia.  Locals are not familiar with it but
at a Tourist Spice Garden on display is this variety.  I had earlier knew of this variety but was unable to get hold of seeds
till a year on.  Very happy :dance: Further research shows that this variety are in existence mainly in the north parts of Malaysia bothering Thailand.
It is like a birdseye chilli but extremely strong purple colour pods and ripening to pink and red.
I grew this out in my last season;  I thought the flowers & foliage are really quite unique but as I am not active
in the forum (& also for some reason was unable to post pic direct  :surprised: )  I am choosing now to attach a link to show
off this variety
https://picasaweb.google.com/103163675896804196253/2013CabaiBurungUngu?noredirect=1#

very interesting, I have never heard of a purple C. frutescens. How is the flavor compared to other Thai peppers or should I say Malaysian peppers.

Bhut_Trolokia said:
Looks nice.
So it turns from purple to red when it is ripe?
Yes..but with a transition colour of peach/pink...
DSCN7251.JPG

wildseed57 said:
very interesting, I have never heard of a purple C. frutescens. How is the flavor compared to other Thai peppers or should I say Malaysian peppers.
I must confessed that tasting chillies is the least of my interest wildseed57.. ..sound a bit of a let down ..sorry
Nigel said:
Your is the only one I know of, Alice.   :clap:
;)  ;)  thanks Nigel!

Datil said:
Nice score, Purira (c. Frutescens) is a similar one.

Cya

Datil
Thanks Datil.. there have been debate whether Purira is an Annuum/frutescens  when I google info. 
On a note about C.Frutescens flower as noted in http://fiery-foods.com/pepper-profiles/152-baccatum-pubescens-and-frutescens-species/102-pepper-profile-frutescens-species
The flower of this particular variety does not fit into description of white corolla with no markings.  In fact it is quite a never seen bf flower :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Some of the ornamental C. annuums that are purple have some bitterness to them with little flavor, so I was wondering if that was the same case with this species, many of the Thai varieties have a nice flavor and a dry sharp pungency.
Does the pepper have the soft flesh gene were it is mostly juice inside the skin and mushy texture once it is ripe, or does it seem to have some firm flesh to it? I know that some wild species like the wild species like C. frutescens var malagueta is that way once the pods ripen are mostly juice with soft mushy texture to them.

wildseed57 said:
Some of the ornamental C. annuums that are purple have some bitterness to them with little flavor, so I was wondering if that was the same case with this species, many of the Thai varieties have a nice flavor and a dry sharp pungency.
Does the pepper have the soft flesh gene were it is mostly juice inside the skin and mushy texture once it is ripe, or does it seem to have some firm flesh to it? I know that some wild species like the wild species like C. frutescens var malagueta is that way once the pods ripen are mostly juice with soft mushy texture to them.
I did have a tiny taste:  hot & sweet with kind of (to me) a medicinal flavour.  Juicy pods with many seeds & yes mushy.  Do fall off easily from the calyx when ripen.  Skin is rather strong and thin
Jamison said:
Absolutely beautiful!  Def on my want list!  Thank you for sharing!!!
http://www.midwestchileheads.com/  supply these seeds currently if you are interested Jamison. 

Ajijoe has a variety called Hot Ecuador that most definiely has some frutescense in it.  Pod texture is nearly identical to tobasco but the entire plant has purple hues to it and the pods start a dark purple and ripen to red.  I tried some back to back with some tobascos last year at Meadowview Farms and while they were similar, the Hot Ecuador was a prettier plant with a tastier pod.  Slightly hotter too.  Sorry, I did have pics of the plants and pods, but must have deleted them.

Back