• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Amino Acids - Discussion

Another link-o-la. (Damn there goes that dope fiend linking to a drug peddling website again :rofl: )

More in line to agree with meinchoh, though there was a good statement on GW that is relevant for supplementary products in general. Paraphrasing, but if your soil/plant is being limited by a deficient factor, adding that nutrient/hormone/blot is going to increase the health and development of the plant.

If you were growing in a soil-less medium with the H&G line up, I could see adding Amino Treatment/Root Excel and getting better results, as the plant would have access to nutrients/minerals that are not present in the substrate or regular feed regime. Though a temporary band-aid, it would alleviate the issue while you figure out the root of the problem (soil-less lifeless medium? :D).

On that note, aloe vera juice/powder would be a much cheaper supplement than a 90 dollar bottle of Amino :P

The only time I have seen amino acids brought up in growing discussion is with precursor chemicals to psychedelic chemicals in plants. 

Seems people get big healthy plants with fish emulsion and worm poop. I'd stick with that…. probably much cheaper.

Spicy Mushroom said:
The only time I have seen amino acids brought up in growing discussion is with precursor chemicals to psychedelic chemicals in plants. 

Seems people get big healthy plants with fish emulsion and worm poop. I'd stick with that…. probably much cheaper.
If i can get a increase in yeald with a foliar spray of aloe vera... thats easy as kelp or worm castings.

I no very little about the subject, or if aloe is a good source of amino acids, I'm just saying that it would be easy to incorporate it in to what I do already if it would help.

The APPLICATION of Amino Acids before, during and after the stress conditions supplies the plants with Amino Acids which are directlyrelated to stress physiology and thus has a preventing and 
recovering effect.
The requirement of amino acids in essential quantities is well known as a means to increase yield and overall quality of crops. The application of amino acids for foliar use is based on its requirement by plants in general and at critical stages of growth in particular. Plants absorb Amino Acids through Stomas and is proportionate to environment temperature. Amino Acids are fundamental ingredients in the process of Protein Synthesis. About 20 important Amino Acids are involved in the process of each function. Studies have proved that Amino Acids can directly or indirectly influence the physiological activities of the plant. Amino Acids are also supplied to plant by incorporating them into the soil. It helps in improving the microflora of the soil thereby facilitating the assimilation of nutrients. Foliar Nutrition in the form of Protein Hydrolysate (Known as Amino Acids Liquid) and foliar spray provide readymade building blocks for Protein synthesis.

But if the plants are already producing amino acids and receiving the nutrients they need, then the addition of amino acids (or any other nutrient) will not "force" more growth.

So what I am gathering,

1. Good for building soil microbes when used as a soil drench
  2. Good to prevent and or repair heat/stress damage.
  3. Good to supplement, but not create additional photosynthesis (help the plant get to its genetic potential).

It provides 20 of the 22 human required amino acids and 7 of the 8 essential amino acids.

Aloe Vera: A Short Review

Not quoted from company literature :P Not that that's a terrible crime, I'm just skeptical of the salesmans word.

I would assume a commercial product has much higher concentrations, but I would question their availability to the plant, and wonder how much a plant could actually absorb (not unlike the overloaded amounts of vitamins in many plant/human supplements). But thats all my own conjecture :D

I wonder if tea brewers employing fish hydrolysate are giving their soil and plants a decent amino boost.

miguelovic said:

Aloe Vera: A Short Review

Not quoted from company literature :P Not that that's a terrible crime, I'm just skeptical of the salesmans word.

I would assume a commercial product has much higher concentrations, but I would question their availability to the plant, and wonder how much a plant could actually absorb (not unlike the overloaded amounts of vitamins in many plant/human supplements). But thats all my own conjecture :D

I wonder if tea brewers employing fish hydrolysate are giving their soil and plants a decent amino boost.

I was thinking the same thing. Like Guru's Trout soup. His plants get to their genetic potential and maybe then some.

If the plant has sufficient growing conditions the production of amino acids for normal growth is controlled and regulated by the cells. Without reading the discussions or other links posted ( going on memory here from my plant phys courses from school ) amino acids are produced as needed until the plant says stop. Would supplementing extras help if the plant doesnt need them? Maybe. As mentioned here would they benefit the plant in stressful situations as a jump start... Im sure it would help in the synthesis of specific, much needed proteins that arent normally made so ya Im guessing there will be a benefit to this if applied in proper situations. Another magical product ( university studied, not college studied - typical salesman talk at my local grow shop ) that people will overpay for at hydro shops? Absolutely.Interesting stuff here which I will read into when Im not on break at work.

Jah bless you pepperheads :)

SpraysOnTheWayOut said:
If the plant has sufficient growing conditions the production of amino acids for normal growth is controlled and regulated by the cells. Without reading the discussions or other links posted ( going on memory here from my plant phys courses from school ) amino acids are produced as needed until the plant says stop. Would supplementing extras help if the plant doesnt need them? Maybe. As mentioned here would they benefit the plant in stressful situations as a jump start... Im sure it would help in the synthesis of specific, much needed proteins that arent normally made so ya Im guessing there will be a benefit to this if applied in proper situations. Another magical product ( university studied, not college studied - typical salesman talk at my local grow shop ) that people will overpay for at hydro shops? Absolutely.Interesting stuff here which I will read into when Im not on break at work.

Jah bless you pepperheads :)

Of course giving a plant something it doesn't need will not help. You can apply that to anything in the universe. 

Sorry if it's implied to be another "you should fertilize with this" thread. I tried to minimize that by using "discussion" in the thread title.  It looks like you know your stuff especially off the top of your head. Thanks for the contribution.

To me it looks like a good idea to supplement these amino acids when you pot up or bring your plants outside from OW. Maybe they get damaged from a storm or a bad insect infestation. I don't know, but I do know a guy (livelihood on the line)  who thinks it's a good idea to use these. To me the question would be, like Cayennemist said, why wouldn't I use it if there is a simple, cost effective way to apply it? Assuming no damage can come from it...which may be optimistic. 

If the plants needs it for optimal growth for sure use it - no disagreements ColdSmoke ( didnt intend for my post to bash products ). While science has cracked lots of the plant code to why and how, we still have lots to learn ( it may be overcomplicating things now but in the future it will simplify the process of growing with all knowledge gained ). The future looks good ladies and gents

To me this is a very big deal. At the peak of summer 100 degree weather can almost STOP growth altogether. So if this helps and can be as simple as making an aloe tea, then that will be a way to bring back production when times get hard.

Also what about during the winter?
What about after an aphid/mite attack?

I see potential considering Aloe grows on the side of the road here in San Diego. And everybody know about fish hydrogenate, hell even native americans put trout under there corn plants.

Cayennemist said:
To me this is a very big deal. At the peak of summer 100 degree weather can almost STOP growth altogether. So if this helps and can be as simple as making an aloe tea, then that will be a way to bring back production when times get hard.

Also what about during the winter?
What about after an aphid/mite attack?

I see potential considering Aloe grows on the side of the road here in San Diego. And everybody know about fish hydrogenate, hell even native americans put trout under there corn plants.

Similar to AACT being a bug deterrent as a bonus along with the other great things it provides, the fact that you're creating a stronger plant helps with bug resistance, stress...etc. SOMEONE SHOULD TRY IT!!!

I know the PERFECT product!! kidding of course

ColdSmoke said:

Similar to AACT being a bug deterrent as a bonus along with the other great things it provides, the fact that you're creating a stronger plant helps with bug resistance, stress...etc. SOMEONE SHOULD TRY IT!!!

I know the PERFECT product!! kidding of course

I'm up for the challenge, however how would we know it was the amino acids and not something else in the product/plant/fish I use?

LOL, great point.

I guess side by side comparison if you have two of the same strain in the same environment. Otherwise, I guess you just trust the science? 

How will you know how much to use?

Good info and another data point to think about when working to keep these plants that we invest so much of our time in. Glad you brought it up and there has been some good discussion here to give me things to think about.  There is so much we do not know, and so much more to forget!

Thanks for sharing

They did a special on TV here in Japan last summer about eggplant. The farmers said they applied amino acid amendments to help sweeten up egg plants if I remember correctly.

Spicy Mushroom said:
That's all I use for all my gardening and works like a charm....

Back