• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yellow Brainstrain

Here's a quick little update on my yellow brainstrain plant...I just love taking pictures.  This plant is easily one of the largest I have and has started producing large amounts of peppers over the last 2 to 3 weeks.  The peppers haven't started turning colors yet but I'm anticipating that to happen at any point.  I've been harvesting habanero's and scotch bonnets for about a week now and we picked our first round of 007 7 Pot superhots last night, but my brainstrains are the peppers I've been waiting for.  They get a weekly dose of compost tea that is either geared for "pepper phase" or "grow phase".  This is the first year I've gone to a complete compost tea solution and I don't think I'll ever switch back.

BTW:  My Red and Chocolate Brainstrain plants are producing just as many peppers that all have the gnarly brainstrain shape, I just didn't have time to snap pictures this morning.  

20140530_081339.jpg

This is my first year growing them so I don't know how bad the chocolate versions will be.  I'm assuming they'll turn out to be the hottest but who knows.  I'm trying to locate some orange brainstrain seeds so if anyone knows where I could purchase some I would be very thankful.  I know Buckeye Pepper carried them last year but didn't make them available for the 2014 year.  

Thanks again!

dash 2 said:
    That is a gorgeous pod! It almost looks like it's just barely starting to turn yellow. I bet you can't wait!

I think it's slowly turning, but looking at them twice a day doesn't seem to speed the process up.  I've tried talking to them and playing music for them...but they just don't want to speed up.  I think all peppers are women because they move at their own pace and move slower if they know it'll make you mad.

Cayennemist said:
coco brainstrain!!! I want one!

The chocolate B.S. is still very new so I'm trying to make sure it grows out true.  I have two plants and both have pods that have strong brainstrain characteristics.  If these grow true like I'm expecting , I'm going to dry and harvest seeds from an early pod and grow out another generation before the year is over.  

Just for comparison sake, here is a picture of two of the pods developing on the chocolate brainstrain.  These are about 1 week behind the yellow B.S. in the picture I posted above.  They aren't the exact same shape, but they're close enough to give me some confidence that they may grow out true.  

20140605_072830.jpg

What size pots are they in, and how large are the plants. Do you have a full pic of it.. for the height and stuff?

Those pods look big.

All of my plants are planted in 5 gallon geopots and root pouches.  They are the same as Smart Pots, just a little cheaper and available from a local grow shop.  The plants are roughly 3.5 - 4 feet tall and spread almost 3 ft at the canopy.  The yellow brainstrain peppers are roughly a little larger than a golf ball and the others are the size of a golf ball.

None of my plants are overwinters and all were started the first of January or first of February.  They've been fed compost tea since they were seedlings and now get a weekly dosing that's 50/50 mixed with water.    

Edit:  I'll try to take a picture before it gets dark.  My wife isn't here right so I'll wait until she gets home to use as a size reference.

I'm growing the chocolate too and the red, yellow, and orange.  My plants are far behind yours.  Nice pods btw.  When that chocolate turns color post a pic for us please.

Back