• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Gassy's new glog thing

Intros... something I'm not good at. Instead I'm only giving the quick low-down this time ('cause it's my glog and I can :D). Basically, I've started this season with a whole bunch of hybrids that I've been playing around with and will be moving on to C. chinense and some wild species very soon, followed not long after by everything else. I have no final list or anything at this point and as usual I will probably just post about different varieties as they come and grow. Due to various distractions and extreme weather last season, the dismal season that was, I didn't have much to write home about and hence why I wasn't around here much. If things end up going down the gurgler again and I crack another nana and abruptly stop posting, please accept my apologies in advance. :)

And no, I do not want to talk about last season. ;)

To kick things off, just some random going-ons:

D05asEE.jpg

Black C. annuum x wild species F2 -- green and black variation

v18ylBm.jpg

Black C. annuum x wild species F2 -- green and black variation

81Qq2of.jpg

Black C. annuum x wild species F1 -- mature berry

qsRVpVl.jpg

Yellow C. baccatum x white C. chinense F1 -- maturing berry

RnSG3k7.jpg

Yellow C. baccatum x white C. chinense F1 -- mature berries

63FJoti.jpg

Yellow C. baccatum x white C. chinense F1 -- flower

YszEgVH.jpg

Spanish Naga x CGN 21500 F2 -- C. chinense

lPQPeaw.jpg

'Spanish Naga x CGN 21566 F2' and 'Spanish Naga x CGN 21500 F2'

IpwUYef.jpg

Wild species -- I love the look of wild, straggly things in my garden :D

zvmlOcf.jpg

Unknown C. annuum (Goat's Weed?) x wild C. annuum type or C. frutescens? -- ripe berries detach from calyx with little effort

Thanks for lookin'!
:high:

KjzZ25y.jpg

Chicanna Purple -- my camera struggles at the best of times but damn I have a hard time getting a shot of this one...

kIpMx9v.jpg

Chicanna Purple

wdHZmnH.jpg

Chicanna Purple

HXtgQ2b.jpg

Tid bit lanky but handsome C. annuum x C. annuum... I think... gotta love the bees, bless 'em!

lQt6gPA.jpg

Little Comfrys and Borages

D5Gurre.jpg

The San Marzano -- been getting these in cans but can't wait to get some freshies to play with!

wHbkieU.jpg

That crafty little thing...

POLxnsI.jpg

'Garden Life' -- dunno, this photo just made me smile. Random who-knows-what just growing where it well pleases...

Portuge said:
Welcome back Jonny, loving the poddage already. Best of luck bro

Cheers, bro!

gasificada said:
Yellow C. baccatum x white C. chinense F1 -- maturing berry

Curious about your baccatum x chinense cross. How are the germination rates of your F2s ? 

Fantastic pictures.

Wow! Welcome back mate. It's been far too long,though you do have a habit of these things.

How did your efforts at a purple fish pepper turn out? I see you have some nasturtium coming along,you ever eat the flowers on them?

Cheers all! :D

HAJ said:
Curious about your baccatum x chinense cross. How are the germination rates of your F2s ? 

Funny you should ask that, HAJ. 3 out of 4 sprouted for me. Which is pretty good considering the fertility problems I had with another C. baccatum x C. chinense I had growing a few years ago. Not that I'm holding my breath on this one, though. In both cases, the F1 plants produced very little seed, and in the case of the other plant, F2 produced even less. I can't see myself playing around with this species mix again.

Pr0digal_son said:
Wow! Welcome back mate. It's been far too long,though you do have a habit of these things.

How did your efforts at a purple fish pepper turn out? I see you have some nasturtium coming along,you ever eat the flowers on them?

Aye, I do, don't I. :oops: I need to learn to juggle! ;) Great to see you're still around these parts, mate.

I actually have a few baby purple fishy F3 plants going ATM. I was just looking through my photos and it appears I didn't take any of the F2 plants! If you are familar with C. annuum "Variegata" or the CPI C. annuum "Jigsaw", you will have a rough idea of what kind of results I am seeing. Kinda cool but nowhere near as cool as the potential painted by imagination promised.

The Nasturtium I have not yet gotten into but I do have vague memories of getting in to grandma's nasturtium when we were kids. I think we used to do it as a dare... haha. I will have to munch some down for old times sake!

geeme said:
Gassy Gassy GASSY!!!!  :woohoo:

Looks great!

Those pics look like springtime around here - what are your temps like?

G G G G-spot!!! :woohoo:

Two weeks ago the air felt like spring! So bizzare. We are known for our mild winter here but it has been ridiculous this year. Even now one week into winter the temps are only down to 14 / 25 C (57 / 77 F). I am seriously dreading the coming summer. :scared:

Runescape said:
Awesome plants... interesting username choice...

Stuck for a username, bottle of fancy mineral water sitting next to the computer... the rest is history. ;) In my head at the time it actually sounded like it could be the name of some Roman emperor or something.... :crazy: hahaha.

gasificada said:
Two weeks ago the air felt like spring! So bizzare. We are known for our mild winter here but it has been ridiculous this year. Even now one week into winter the temps are only down to 14 / 25 C (57 / 77 F). I am seriously dreading the coming summer. :scared:

We had two back-to-back super-mild winters here, but this most recent winter was semi-brutal. We had several records broken for temps and length of temps, but we really didn't have as much snow as usual. Because it was so cold, the lake (Lake Erie) froze over, turning off the lake-effect snow. Weather is such a cyclical thing. Hopefully your coming summer won't be as bad as you are expecting!

0VdODvc.jpg

Limón x Bonda ma Jacques F2

AHpverw.jpg

They start growing up so quick...

UBMG4sO.jpg

Goji Berry -- Lycium barbarum

4WF3YQo.jpg

Last night's spicy lamb ragù... sooooo good

geeme said:
We had two back-to-back super-mild winters here, but this most recent winter was semi-brutal. We had several records broken for temps and length of temps, but we really didn't have as much snow as usual. Because it was so cold, the lake (Lake Erie) froze over, turning off the lake-effect snow. Weather is such a cyclical thing. Hopefully your coming summer won't be as bad as you are expecting!

Well, what do you know, the air finally has a slight crisp chill to it. :D Today was a little warm again but last night, this morning and this arvo... sooo good.

I heard about the last winter you lot on the other side of the world had. I was seriously hoping we would have similar here. OK, maybe not to some of the extremes, but a cold winter would be nice!

Gas' law. Whatever can go opposite of what Gas wants, will go opposite. ;)

Spicegeist said:
lot's of eye candy... looking good!

Cheers, mate! I will have to stop in on your glog later and see what you got cookin'. Any new hybrids in the works or concentrating on the old ones?

Trippa said:
Mr Gassy ... good to see you about again bro ..I won't talk about my last season either ;)

Tripster! How goes it, bro? From what I can gather, the rest of Australia shares the same sentiment on last season too. Here's to a much better one for us all! :cheers:

Back