• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How to Tell if a Douglah is Ripe Enough?

This is my first year growing Douglahs and I've had a fair bit of success.

This morning I went out and found that almost every pod on the two producing plants have shifted over to a light brown/burgundy shade.  The most advanced pod is a deeper brown colour, but still has some hints of yellow-green up around the stalk.

When will these be considered fully ripe? (and how do I tell)

How long can the pods be left on before they start to go wrong?

pick them when they look like they do on judy's website pepperlover.com, not very technical answer but that's what i'd do.

I would usually pick them when they had just a tinge of that beautiful neon green colour and let them sit for a few days for further ripening.  They are beautiful ornaments for your counter.

This is what a fully ripe Douglah looks like:
Douglah2.JPG

Here are some pics from earlier this evening:

MIgvAlA.jpg

fFL68rL.jpg

Second one was taken without a flash.

We have been getting our typical epic afternoon downpours here in Florida.  I am hoping it lets up a bit soon, last year I ended up with a mold/black spot problem that pretty much wrecked the rest of my season.

Those are ripe. Look for an auburn color when harvesting.
KingLeerUK said:
Here are some pics from earlier this evening:

MIgvAlA.jpg

fFL68rL.jpg

Second one was taken without a flash.

We have been getting our typical epic afternoon downpours here in Florida.  I am hoping it lets up a bit soon, last year I ended up with a mold/black spot problem that pretty much wrecked the rest of my season.

You guys are a riot!

To me, douglahs go from  green to a kind of muddy brown, stay that way for a while, then finally actually ripen to a rust-red type of color. If you pick them while still a muddy brown you will find they're still green inside. I don't care much for them underripe, but really like them fully ripe. The only time I pick them while still muddy brown is at the end of the season when I know they're going to bite the dust from a coming drop below freezing if I don't pull them in time.

Back