• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

My yarden! Updated 15 June

Living in Northern Michigan makes it tough to grow peppers, but last year I did pretty good. I had Fatalii and Naga Morich pump out hundreds of pods from each plant, so this year I wanted to go bigger. And since I'm moving next summer I need to get enough to make it through next year. I was fortunate enough to have met several very helpful and nice people who sent me seeds to use.  So here we go:

01DEC13: first seeds soak overnight in water.  I had 10 times more seed varieties than I could ever grow, so went with what I though would give me big yeilds.

TSMoruga red, yellow - MGOLD 86<---also sent awesome powders and peppers, thanks again man!!
Brainstrain red, yellow- MGOLD 86
Primo- smileyguy697<----sent me more crazy strains than I know what to do with, thanks buddy!!!
Chocolate Scorpion- smileyguy697
Savannah- smileyguy697

I also have 2 ow's each of Fatalii, Naga Morich 

Here's after I moved them to our extra bedroom that we turned into a growroom:
IMG_20140101_105645_497_zpsbb795f4f.jpg

Space blanket reflectors to make it extra classy:
IMG_20140215_152220_055_zpsea1442b4.jpg

Then, not much really happened until just recently.  I bought a couple rolls of plastic mesh barrier material and sewed them into 27 10 gallon, 1 25+gallon bags and filled with ammended local dirt:
IMG_20140521_152119_903_zps7b571e30.jpg

The wife helped me transplant them, I left them in the garage for 2 weeks to harden the F up:
IMG_20140521_171947_998_zpsacb69540.jpg

Then the backbreaking chore of moving all of them to the south side of the house. My horseradish is in a 30 gallon pot:
IMG_20140610_174003_444_zps8889d46e.jpg

And the rest:
IMG_20140610_174021_632_zps1db09e1a.jpg

I'll probably be putting some mulch on the tops of the bags in the next few days.  Well, that's about it for now. It's raining today, so their first feeding of nutrients in the sun will have to wait a day or 2. 

Thanks! I just gave them a pretty light feeding, I'll be stepping up the amounts a little bit every time to get it to the heavy feedings that got my plants to explode last year. The Almanac says it will be a long summer, and i need every warm day I can get!

Whoa ho ho, lookit Scrooge McDuck with his safe!

Not sure where that came from :D Nice work on the DIY smartpots, Ima have to get my ass together one of these days hehe

Today I put mulch around all the plants in their bags. It helps to keep the water from running out the sides right away, and it helps with erosion from the hose. Now I can blast them with water from a distance and not worry about dirt washing away from the roots.
IMG_20140616_173711_968_zps6f732a4d.jpg

IMG_20140616_173732_930_zps329eb52f.jpg

Now, I'm pretty much done. Not much to do now but water and wait to harvest!  

Very nice, im subd up. Those plants are gonna be beasts. I wanna feed my plants too but its pouring here. I have my plants covered though so i might get away with it if i wanna get rained on.

Haha doesn't it always seem that the ones we are unsure about always do best? Gotta have faith! It will probably put out some nice hot pods.

LS929 said:
Haha doesn't it always seem that the ones we are unsure about always do best? Gotta have faith! It will probably put out some nice hot pods.

It's one of the ones I grew, but I lost the tag months ago when it was tiny. Oh well. I'll find out in a month! July is when the plants really start to take off and put out pods.

Back