• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Best rub for brisket

Hi again,
Just bought a barrel BBQ and was wondering if anyone has a killer spice rub off brisket?
Just ordered a grass fed longhorn brisket for Friday to cook on Sunday.
Was planning an early start Sunday morning for Sunday dinner around 17.00. Going to cook on lump wood charcoal as we haven't hot a lot of timber suited for cooking.
What do ya think?
Thanks

How many pounds is the brisket, count on one hour plus per pound. As for rubs, what type you like? As you can imagine there are so many in the states and tons by region. 

McCormicks montreal steak is great as is or you can add to it. i made my own rubs for years but honestly....try this pre made one. "Montreal steak" is a term used for a few different vendors versions but i think the mcCormicks is the best, or there are good copy cat recipes for it online, its only like 5 things

That has no sugar. You need sugar for the bark, that's what melts and binds the seasoning. I don't use as much as for pork though.

Brown sugar
salt
dry mustard
garlic
onion
coriander (ground seed)
cayenne

etc.
etc.

How you like it...

I'm in the u.k so this is going to be a learning experience, don't know if we can find mcCormicks but cheers for the recommendation, I might order some form merica to try out.

I like spicy... but don't want to f##k it up. Needs to be edible for wife too.
Thanks go your help

Do not use a canned rub, make your own. 

For example TX style

1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper 
1/4 cup paprika

to that I'd add

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cayenne powder
1 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander

like the boss said

etc.. 

Coffee rub is ground coffee in your rub, that's it. Goes good with black pepper and coriander flavors.

Mmmm. I think you might have done this before....

Sounds excellent. Is it a "I could tell you but I would have to kill you " scenario, ??

I go old school....give a rub with some olive oil....then just salt pepper and garlic powder....I cook by temp and not time.....I run my cooker at 225-250 degrees and use a combination of Maple and Cherry splitz for smoke.I will spritz with a 70/30 mix of apple juice and apple cider vinager every couple hours...the sugar in the apple juice will help build a bark.I cook until an internal temp of 195-200 is obtained or until probe tender.
I remove from my cooker and wrap in foil to rest for an hour then its good to go.....slice against the grain.

IMG_1626.jpg

Just open your spice rack and go crazy.little sweet little heat and so on. I never ever measure any more.You just know when its got what it needs.For newbies just google brisket rub,that would keep ya busy for hours looking at all of them. ;)

Could I do a steak tartare frappucino for a appetiser?

Seriously sounds great though.

I have about 12lb coming(5 1/2 kg)..... think that's about right? How long should I cook it And should I cut off the fat?

You shouldn't need a ton of sugar for a nice bark, there are plenty of components to bark. I never said just to use the mcCormick (though some big winners do. Heres a nice one with only a small amount of sugar added...

No big deal!

Back