grills Looks like this will be my Kamado Grill

Yes just placed my order and added the pizza stone for smoking and of course pizzas ! OTD for under $400 with tax and shipping. I went with the one from Home Depot which had a cart that comes with the kamado grill. Also I heard from people that this company listened to its customers over the previous 2 years and has made some improvements with the grill and complaints of air leaks. If there are any its nothing some good sealant can't tale care of, I'll pull out my MacGyver skills lol. 

Small leaks of smoke are expected and over time with enough cooked product they seal themselves with fatty deposits. I saw on Amazon a few of the discontinued ones. Glad to hear they listen and make improvements. 

Nice score SR.

For years I wanted a BGE and mrs. blues was even excited about getting one.

But then I though about how much I'd really use it and decided I had enough back porch art work already.

I have a nice gas grill but don't use it.

I have a UDS smoker that I use only a couple times a year.

I use a Lodge hibachi on occasion too but still not much.

I make pizza on either my pizza stone or in a perforated pizza pan in my oven.

What I really want is this!

http://www.blackstoneproducts.com/prodinfo/36griddle_backyard.html

I would use that 'thang every week multiple times!

And its mrs. blues approved.

I was going to pull the trigger on one a little while ago but then rumor intelligence suggested a move out of north Texas.

So I've held off.

For now.

Can't wait to see some of the stuff you cook with that komado.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Pretty sure this is my next toy....

http://www.lacajachina.com/
Dang that is nice !!
texas blues said:
Nice score SR.

For years I wanted a BGE and mrs. blues was even excited about getting one.

But then I though about how much I'd really use it and decided I had enough back porch art work already.

I have a nice gas grill but don't use it.

I have a UDS smoker that I use only a couple times a year.

I use a Lodge hibachi on occasion too but still not much.

I make pizza on either my pizza stone or in a perforated pizza pan in my oven.

What I really want is this!

http://www.blackstoneproducts.com/prodinfo/36griddle_backyard.html

I would use that 'thang every week multiple times!

And its mrs. blues approved.

I was going to pull the trigger on one a little while ago but then rumor intelligence suggested a move out of north Texas.

So I've held off.

For now.

Can't wait to see some of the stuff you cook with that komado.
I was at lowes yesterday and a lady bought the last one they had in stock. Those look interesting as well. 

From what I can tell it's not a kamado cooker. Meaning, it's not ceramic. It's just shaped like an egg. If I were you I'd get a real ceramic cooker. That's the whole point. This seems gimmicky may as well get a nice Weber.

Or am I wrong and this is ceramic? Says double walled insulated steel. Nope. Not ceramic. Kamodo style egg cookers are made of ceramic, lift the lid, the walls are 2 or so inches thick.

The Hot Pepper said:
From what I can tell it's not a kamado cooker. Meaning, it's not ceramic. It's just shaped like an egg. If I were you I'd get a real ceramic cooker. That's the whole point. This seems gimmicky may as well get a nice Weber.

Or am I wrong and this is ceramic? Says double walled insulated steel. Nope. Not ceramic. Kamodo style egg cookers are made of ceramic, lift the lid, the walls are 2 or so inches thick.

• Porcelain coated interior

Exactly. I'd go for the real deal if it were me. Not a gimmick. Porcelain lined is not the same as the walls being made of ceramic like a tandoor. Seems they're trying to trick people.

Maybe it can cook good but it is not the real deal style of a ceramic cooker. Insulated porcelain coated steel will trap heat, but it's an alternative of the original concept. Hope you like it. I'm sure it will cook good stuff.

On a good note, reviews look good. Make sure there is enough real estate to do ribs, etc.

I'm mostly interested in low and slow cooking at 200* which this one does using less fuel than other types of cookers. Also it can reach temps over 700* which is also attractive for how I want to use it. I agree that a ceramic is the way to go for sure but the wife would not buy into it lol. So this was a compromise on my part and it will smoke well from the reviews I've read online. The proof is in the pudding and I will let you know once I've used it a few times. 

A coworker of mine has this style cooker and he says he loves it. can cook all day on what he says is "a handful of coals"... I'm sure that's a slight exaggeration, but it makes the point. And the heat is steady and reliable. Good for someone who might be hesitant to toss out the big bucks for a BGE.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Pretty sure this is my next toy....

http://www.lacajachina.com/

These are amazing. When the pig's almost ready, splash the skin down with cool water. It'll pop and crack and make cracklins. Last time we went to an LSU game tailgate, one of the guys had a homemade version. Awesome stuff!

Buzz said:
A coworker of mine has this style cooker and he says he loves it. can cook all day on what he says is "a handful of coals"... I'm sure that's a slight exaggeration, but it makes the point. And the heat is steady and reliable. Good for someone who might be hesitant to toss out the big bucks for a BGE.

These are amazing. When the pig's almost ready, splash the skin down with cool water. It'll pop and crack and make cracklins. Last time we went to an LSU game tailgate, one of the guys had a homemade version. Awesome stuff!
Maybe next Fathers Day I'll request an upgrade to a Primo or BGE once I get her hooked on my cooking skills with this one.  :shh:

Ive used mine for over a year. Its awesome for $275. It holds heat great and little charcoal is needed. Takes some practice as its a different style of smoker but its really a nice unit. no problem 200-700+ degrees.

Get yourself a nice maverick thermometer as the built in one can be 25 degrees off.

And the new ones don't leak until its up at like 500-600 degrees

SavinaRed said:
Maybe next Fathers Day I'll request an upgrade to a Primo or BGE once I get her hooked on my cooking skills with this one.  :shh:

Just remember with these units after you spend over a grand they will direct you to the leg section for your next insult. legs not included...

PrimeTime said:
Ive used mine for over a year. Its awesome for $275. It holds heat great and little charcoal is needed. Takes some practice as its a different style of smoker but its really a nice unit. no problem 200-700+ degrees.

Get yourself a nice maverick thermometer as the built in one can be 25 degrees off.

And the new ones don't leak until its up at like 500-600 degrees
I ordered the maverick yesterday and a 40lb bag of lump coal.

I bet it makes a good pizza. Burns 700. Get a nice round pizza stone that fits and you cook a pie in 3 minutes.

Ive done steaks and pizza and yes it works great. Open top and bottom vents and you'll go from 225 to 700 in like 5-10 minutes. Makes clean up nice. And glad you got the stone, its pretty much needed for your slow and low. 20 lbs id say is about 20-30 hrs at 225-250. I avoid cowboy lump. Pretty much cause it sucks. Burns fast and dirty. Its made from scraps of kitchen demos and such. Ive found trim, cabinet parts ( pretty sure they were not unsealed wood...) granite counter pieces, all kinds of sh*t. BGE lump and wicked good are my favorites.

Enjoy that puppy!

Back