• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomatillos?

Hi guys!

I haven't posted in a while, just been trolling ;)

We planted everything outside -- all my peppers seemed to survive (though a few lost some leaves from sun scald). Hooray! I will have peppers!

But - tragedy struck! Some animal has eaten my largest tomatillo, and the 2 survivors are ... sad looking...

Does anyone know where I can buy tomatillo seedlings? It's too late to start from seed again!

You should still have time to start more seeds. Tomatillos grow quite quick. Mine come up as volunteers every year in July and they still produce

POTAWIE said:
You should still have time to start more seeds. Tomatillos grow quite quick. Mine come up as volunteers every year in July and they still produce

Really?? I'll start more tonight then! Thanks P!

The caveat about tomatillos is that, once you grow them, you have them forever.

The fruit has many seeds and only one fruit has to drop to guarantee a permanent crop.

willard3 said:
The caveat about tomatillos is that, once you grow them, you have them forever.

The fruit has many seeds and only one fruit has to drop to guarantee a permanent crop.

This is true! I cut my tomatillo down to the ground one year in late fall and threw it in the compost heap....it actually wintered over...I got new plants and some seedlings too...suprisingly hardy plants! It might come back even if it was eaten to the ground....don't give up on it yet!

Willard3, I tried your Ceviche Camaron recipe and it was delicious!...definitly try it with some of your tomatillos Klyth!:)

willard3 said:
Ceviche should be made with fresh fish that is free of parasites (most fresh commerecial fish is in US)-cooking with citrus kills all the pathogenic material including bacteria.

Ceviche Camaron

INGREDIENTS:

2 lbs small raw shrimp or white fish (sea bass is good),cleaned
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
4 Tomatillos, diced
6 Mexican limes, juiced
2 lemons, juiced (also substitute grapefruit juice, orange juice)
1 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 green unripe chile, I used a chilaca, seeded and finely chopped (picante to taste); a few rings of fruity picante chile, habanero or similar.
1/2 of a cucumber, peeled and diced
1 red onion, diced
3-5 cloves of hot garlic diced
salt and pepper to taste

PREPARATION:
Lay out shrimp in the bottom of glass baking dish. Pour lemon and lime juice over them and refrigerate for 3 hours. Toss with remaining ingredients and refrigerate for one more hour or longer (better longer).

If you manage to PM me your address I can send you some purple tomatillo seeds! They have a germination rate of 100% (for me so far) and grow as if it was illegal from tomorrow on! :)

Chiliac said:
If you manage to PM me your address I can send you some purple tomatillo seeds! They have a germination rate of 100% (for me so far) and grow as if it was illegal from tomorrow on! :)
Purple tomatillos? really, purple? :shocked:
How 'bout the taste?

Yeah, really! :)

Here's a pic:

tomatillo_demilpa.jpg

Not sure about the taste, I am growing them for the first time myself. I know of two kinds of purple T's: "regular" purple and De Milpa.

I'll see when they are ripe and after having tried both purple and green fruit, but you bet your - whatever - that I want to see them ripen to purple!!! :)

I grew the green and purple ones and I don't really like either one, and as Willard said you'll never get rid of them once they start

POTAWIE said:
I grew the green and purple ones and I don't really like either one, and as Willard said you'll never get rid of them once they start

I don't think they're for straight eating. They're complimentary vegetables. They REALLY round out the flavor of a homemade salsa nicely.

I love tomatillos and eat them right off the plant, in salsa fresca, in cooked salsas.......if you cook any Mexican food you will use lots of tomatillos. They stew with them like Italians use tomatos. Tomato/tomatillo mix is hard to duplicate, either cooked or fresh.

They have a "limey" taste (hats off to the Brits) and they will keep for a very long time if refrigerated. Purple and green taste about the same.

They are available in the markets here now so I don't have to grow them anymore.

Back