smokers DIY: Smoker Project EVO 1 "by Cypresshill1973"

I already have available some of the materials to build a smoker. 
Main drum 70 gallons 
Secondary compartment: this is a small steel tank I found a junkyard and is perfect for my project, although it is somewhat heavy, so we will have to change the size to alijerar some weight.

2014-06-17%252016.31.22.jpg

Both have a bit of rust, but no biggie. Both are of a good thickness of metal. 

Tomorrow I'll take some measurements and I will make a sketch, I'll go to buy pipes and profiles to begin construction.

You gotta burn the barrel out with a good hot fire, clean with wire brush, then soap and water, repeat, and season to get rid of the petroleum. Also you have to have your bottom vent holes drilled pre-burnout for the fire to burn hot.

I'd go for a food-safe barrel myself.

DISCLAIMER: Research it. Not responsible for explosions! ;)

Thanks for your advice! ;)

I clean it would take a long job, then take it to another site.

First open and clean with dry sand. The sand catch the oil. 

Then once assembled parts, bring a site leave sandblasted by pressure to bare metal. Then paint from bare metal. 

Noooo no paint. Not inside. That's putting toxins BACK.

And you must burn it out. Sandblasting is cool, do it after.

im sure you know.... but please make sure that barrel had 0 combustibles inside it previously.
a number of people die every year, mucking with drums that are apparently empty, safe for some volitile fumes.

also regarding paint. you can infact paint the drum, and even the fire box if you wish (exterior) . you would however require a high temp enamel type paint.

for the fire box.. you will need to line it with refractory brick... or the paint will flake off quickly.

i dont know much about these paints... but i believe that all these over the counter enamel paints still need heat treatments, and for parts that are small enough for an oven, its no prob.
But for your grill...it may not be possible? IDK you might spend some time researching it, a nice coat of paint, will keep the thing hole free for a substantial amount of time i would think.   

Usually that's old propane tanks, def DON'T mess with those... but heed these too, better safe than sorry. But def gotta remove the toxins. Most people aim for an unlined food-safe barrel. One that stored coconut oil or the like.

Believed to know what to do now, would understand that it is not safe and secure. 

Your comments make me doubt now.

High Temperature Paints also believed to give toxins?

Ultimately leaving bare metal and fats try to prevent metal from rusting. 

His advice is good before starting work project

Thanks .... I have access to a center of painting with ovens heat. Asking if is possible have paintings suitable for my purpose. 

It has been very helpful advice.

i wouldnt paint the inside personally.... tho it could be possible to do so safely.

what do stainless barrels cost? i recall wine makers use those for bulk storage etc.  i wonder if those have plastic liners?

If he cut it open without incident all he has to do now is clean and season per above. By the cut lines looks like he's going horizontal with a firebox.

Im not even talking about the safety. Motor oil is far from acetone or propane. Im just not sure about smoking a turkey against the exhaust pipe of your car or oil burning boiler.

Please degrease it even after sand blasting it...

Back