• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fermented Red Hab and Garlic mash

I'm in need of a medium heat mash to make a tomato sauce/honey based grilling sauce.

Pretty basic recipe:
28 Red Hab pods (approx. 1/2 lb.)
2 heads of garlic
A light salt brine (1-1/2 TBS Celtic sea salt in 1 quart distilled water)
3 TBS Juice from Kimchi (Daikon radish,Carrots,Garlic,Orange slices)
1-1/2 TBS raw Agave nectar

I tossed the garlic and Habs in a blender, added just enough brine to coarsely grate into a mash.
Poured mash into fermenting vessel, then added the Kimchi juice and Agave. Topped it off with a little more brine and gave it a good stirring before sealing with the airlock lid.

I plan to let it ferment in a cabinet for about a week after the primary ferment ends. Then I will mix with tomato paste, honey, and spices before bottling and storing in the fridge where it will "could" last for several months, but considering how much I use this time of year, I'll probably be making another batch before the end of the summer.

It made a little more than I expected, so I'm saving the extra to kick up a some cabbage and cucumber kimchi I plan to make tonight.
CM

Well...your PM to me a few weeks ago got me interested in reading some of the THP threads. And then when I saw some of the basic fermenting questions being posted by some newer members, I got inspired to come out of retirement and throw my 2 cents in the hat.
But you were the instigator RM.....its all your fault !!

And actually.... there is fresh ginger slices in the Kimchi. It was an experiment to see what flavors the Daikon radishes would absorb. and it really turned out great. That particular jar is about 10 months old....the garlic,carrots,and radish are still crisp, and the orange slices look like i put them in the jar yesterday.

Edit:
I checked my records....I made the orange slice Kimchi last May...so its been fermenting(in the fridge) 13 months.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>UPDATE<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Its been a week since the container was sealed and placed in our pie safe.

And after a few days of minimal activity, things are really hopping now. Lots of bubbles forming and continuously moving up through the mash.
I plan to let things go about 3 more days, and if the activity shows any evidence of slowing down, I'll probably open the small container, check the pH and and do a taste test....then make a mini batch of  some Honey Hab grilling sauce.
CM

>>>>>>>>>>>>update<<<<<<<<<<<
I decided to open the ferment jar today(after 16 days). There was no noticeable activity and I'm in need of some mash to make some dipping sauce to serve with a smoked pork tenderloin tomorrow.

I tapped into my stash of smoked datil powder, and am pleased with the result.
It has a nice blend of pepper flavor and heat level,with a hint of sweet and sour and an ideal dipping sauce texture.

When I get the exact recipe typed up, I'll post it in the recipe forum in case anyone wants it.
CM

Well I'll be, look who landed back at THP International!

Great to see you back here CM; thanks RM for encouraging the return.

Looks like another great sauce. Can't wait for my pods to ripen!

Thanks DR
Nice to be remembered.
Yes, I was on the DL for a while.   I never stopped fermenting and making sauces,just got out of the habit of posting about it.
Then when RM rattled my cage.... I and I got to communicate with a"fermented friend" from the past,I was inspired to become active on THP once again.

(Little did I know at the time that RM was marrying off his youngest and just needed a pinch hitter for a while.
I expect he'll option me back to the minors shortly after 8/9)
CM

Chili Monsta said:
...Nice to be remembered.

Remembered? Man, you're the one that got me into fermentation, with an assist from RocketMan, of course. I've gone from peppers to pickles to sauerkraut to kombucha to kimchi to mead to hard cider. I'm not sure what's next, maybe eggs buried in a pot in the backyard. :lol:

I think it all started here:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/18762-fermented-habanero-manzano-mash/?hl=%2Bfermented+%2Bhabanero-manzano+%2Bmash

Man, time flies when you're fermenting!

Thanks to both of you for guiding us along.

P.S. How DID the hab/manzano turn out? :)

I am honored DR,
Your kind words gave me a little chill, along with a smile when I first read them.
It's really rewarding and fulfilling to know that some of the knowledge and practices that my Grandma passed on to me many years ago, are living on, ....being utilized, appreciated and duplicated today.
Really warms the heart and lets us realize how crucial it is that we all take responsible steps to ensure, among others, that topics such as this are chronicled and maintained so they can trickle down to our future generations.
In all honesty, that's the primary reason I post some of my recipes and offer observations and advice on THP. ( for a social media player, I am not)
Furthermore, I salute the owners/operators that have created and continue to maintain THP, so that a venue of this nature is readily available to capture and openly distribute such a wealth of information.
Warm regards my friend.
CM

Yes, thanks for sharing the recipe. It's a great help to me being new at making sauces. I don't "lift" actual recipes but I learn by comparing quantities and ingredients/techniques from various sources and come up with twist. But it seems hard to improve on yours. Sounds really good

-thanks man

DownRiver said:

Remembered? Man, you're the one that got me into fermentation, with an assist from RocketMan, of course. I've gone from peppers to pickles to sauerkraut to kombucha to kimchi to mead to hard cider. I'm not sure what's next, maybe eggs buried in a pot in the backyard. :lol:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/18762-fermented-habanero-manzano-mash/?hl=%2Bfermented+%2Bhabanero-manzano+%2Bmash

DownRiver
Uh Oh. I just got my first  book on Fermentation and I've been drinking Kumbuchi and watching Kimchi youtbe vids!

DownRiver said:

DR,
What a coincidence that you mention my thread on the Hab/manzano mash was what got you started. It just so happens that mash was what I used the first time I made this recipe for a Honey-tomato based dipping sauce.
And actually, I still have a few ounces of that mash in the fridge, and use it from time to time in marinates and to spice up ketchup....mustard....steak & BBQ sauce....etc.
The pepper flavors have melded and smoothed out significantly....that's what 3+ years of aging can do., but it still has plenty of heat.  The last time I checked...the pH was around 3.6.
CM

Back