• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

3 gallon maximum

HI THP

Everyone seems to be heading 10 gallon and bigger, well i think it would be fun to see how big one can go with less medium.

I think i am going try a 3 gallon maximum for next year to see if i can produce the same size. Obviously there are different challenges to beat, but it looks like a fun challenge.

I know there are a couple growers here who do this on a regular basis, any info would be great.

(The rain has stopped here :dance:)

i have 50 peppers in 5 gallons and 10 in 3 gallons because i wanted to see the difference.

Note: i started the 3 gallons about 4 weeks after the 5's so they are catchin up.

S2qIOHj.jpg

4 weeks is pretty long especially for a peppers life. Plus as said feed them heavy and they would dwarf you 5 gallon pots. I still have some peppers in promix in solo cups almost as big as your 3 gallon ones.

you can grow 30' tall tomatos in a 8"x4"x36" long rockwool slab. Millwork is correct, you just need to feed, and feed, and feed.

actually let me correct that, you can grow THREE 30' tall toms in a single rockwool slab. google...  greenhouse+rockwool... + fertigation i guess .

here is my attempt at the same last fall.

millworkman said:
You can get huge plants in 3gal, you just need to FEED!!!  

Anyone care to suggest their favorite fert for small container growing (In my case, double occupancy Wallybags.)?

I use hydroponic nutrients, jungle juice same formula give or take GH flora series. Using 8ml micro and 16ml bloom, and 5ml Calmag+ Lucas formula but I add the Calmag
Also watch out if there is nutrients in your soil you could burn your plants

If you have any mineral content to your tap water, GH Maxibloom at 1 tsp per gallon with 1/16-1/8 tsp per of Epsom Salt.  Look up Lucas Formula.  Also, you dont need to be in a hydro system, but you do need a medium that will handle getting watered nearly daily .  So you will need something that breathes really well.  I like peat and perlite for this with a bit of manure added.  Trial and error mainly.

I'm going to feed them the exact same as the 5 gals. I imagine they will be close to the same in a couple months. then we will see the real difference, someone remind me in august and i'll post an update lol

I do a load of smalls.
The greatest challenge is getting them to cycle wet to a bit dry without killing them off.
You don't want them always wet (unless you are doing hydro) and they will die quickly if you let them droop for long.
My smalls get little nutrients added until root bound, then slowly---from 1 in 3 watering with nutes, to 1 in 2---as the medium is all "used up".

Then I treat them the same as hydro---"hydro-in-dirt", as there is almost nothing left but roots.
They are "Semi-hydro" as I let them dry out to drooping between waterings and feedings.

I have had decent results from plants in 1 gallon pots, but  a serious PITA when they get big.
Daily watering in the spring/summer heat, and attempting to let them droop first requires hourly attention.

There is a fine line and short time between drooping and dead with large plants in small containers.

Also worth noting: root bound plants won't perform as well as non root bound plants. I would certainly expect a fabric 3 gallon root pouch to out perform a 3 gallon plastic nursery pot. Everything else being equal.

Geonerd said:

Anyone care to suggest their favorite fert for small container growing (In my case, double occupancy Wallybags.)?

i mix my own ferts, but its not for everyone.

if you want to save cash... go with a dry mix for sure.  Id heartily reccomend the hydrogardens premixed ferts. cool company, ive used them a few times.

http://www.hydro-gardens.com/41838.htm

5lb box of this stuff would likely last you all year, and then some.

One of my favorite plants of all time was in a 3 gallon pot.  My "Monster ButchT" from my first year growing super-hots (2012). 

Sure she wasnt the largest plant in the world, or that I have since grown for that matter... but that year she was my baby... pictures dont do her justice.

I would suggest that you try a "5 gallon" air-pot... (it actually holds 3 US Gallons worth of media).  Air-pots mimic larger pots in terms of promoting root development.... but you dont have to use as much media or take up as much space.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:705]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:706]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1386]

meinchoh said:

How often do you recommend feeding in a 3 gallon pot? Weekly? Every other week. First year with plants in containers, I have been feeding with kelp/ fish emulsion every 2 weeks and just hit them with some granular ferts. Plants look good so far. Is this enough in your opinion? Will I need to increase feedings as they get bigger?

Noah Yates said:

I would suggest that you try a "5 gallon" air-pot... (it actually holds 3 US Gallons worth of media).  Air-pots mimic larger pots in terms of promoting root development.... but you dont have to use as much media or take up as much space.

At $20 a pot plus shipping that seems a waste. $300 on pots... hmm maybe. A #5 air pot measures 5.25 gallons according to the interwebs.

Swartmamba said:

At $20 a pot plus shipping that seems a waste. $300 on pots... hmm maybe. A #5 air pot measures 5.25 gallons according to the interwebs.
go to the dollar store and buy some of that mesh for your gutters and make your own. if your afraid of the medium coming out, wrap screen around it. i am seriously thinking about doing this

Noah Yates said:
Honestly in the heat of summer yuou will need to water every single day.... but feedings are tricky... depends on your starting media and what kind of nutrients specifically that you have.
Soil I used is 5 parts coco coir 3 parts compost 1 part perlite 1 part vermiculite. Found this mix on one of the soil threads, figured I would give it a try. The fish emulsion is 3-1-1, the kelp 2-1-1 and I have been using this every two weeks. I also used a organic granular fertilizer 3-2-3 once at planting and once four weeks later. In your opinion, am I feeding enough? Some plants are in 3 gallon containers, some in 5 gallon. Thank you for your advice.

Back