• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Rookie Superhot SoCal Glog Updated: 5/11/15 (1st page Growlist)

Good day, this is my first post here but I've been lurking for a couple days to get the feel for what I can tell is a forum filled with nice people.

Having seen Kevin's late start Glog, it kind of empowered me to do the same.

I live in Bakersfield California, which is a desert ecosystem made arable by being situated in a valley and lots of manpower. There's a lot of agriculture here, and it's pretty well known here that we have an especially long growing season, with pepper fruiting temperatures even into December.

I think I have a chance to get some pods, at the least, well established plants for next spring.

I'm experimenting with grow tech, first storebought tech: I'm growing in Topsy Turvy tomato trees, several of them, they were on crazy clearance and they're constructed of steel. I plan on crafting my own bags using fabric pots to hang on the frame after these plants are gone or the bags rip.

I don't know the logistics of entangled roots in the end of my first plant cycle, but I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens :)

My plan is to go to by the wisdom of a great many people who say that if you want a big plant in a small pot, feeeeeeeeeed itttt. So I have a Dripline irrigation setup using soaker hoses, and my plan is to gravity drip teas and ferts to my plants on a consistent basis without overwatering.

Soil is all organic, a mix of compost, worm casts, potting soil, and garden soil.

Fertilizer will be AACT when my setup is ready, for now it's FPE; Fermented Plant Extracts and AACT Made the old fashioned way, stirring.
I'll  also be employing Mycorrhizals, I'm using Mykos Xtreme Gardening which utilizes their strain of Glomus intraradices, they're RTI's direct brand, RTI produces most of the Glomus in cultivation, and I wanted to give them a try.

But enough with the Logistics, I'm sure you guys want to hear what plants I'm growing! Well there's quite a list

Updated 10/20 to reflect living plants

Bhut Jolokia
Peach Bhut
White Bhut
Indian Carbon Bhut

Orange Hab
Chocolate Hab
Peach Hab Added 7/21

Antilles Red Caribbean Added 7/21
MoA Jamaican Scotch Bonnets Added 7/5

Jamaican Hot Chocolate Added 6/27

Aji Dulce Added 7/5

Douglah 7 Pot
White 7 Pot
Bubblegum 7 Pot (F4) added 7/5

Butch T Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion Added 7/21

Yellow Fatalii Added 7/5

Satan's Kiss
Red Hot Cherry Added 6/28
Pimiento Added 6/28
Hot Thai Added 6/28
Gypsy Added 6/28
Tabasco Added 6/28
Aleppo Added 7/5
Urfa Biber Added 7/5
Bonda me Jacques Added 7/5
Jaloro Added 7/5 (No sprouts)
Green Bean Added 7/5
Tepin Added 7/21
Pequin Added 7/21

Peppadew Added 7/5
Aji Lemon Drop Added 7/5

Added 8/2, A plethora of varieties from Wicked Mike!

Dong Xuan Viet Market (C. Baccatum)
Venezuelan Tiger (no sprouts)
Trini Mystery
Red and Yellow Steer/Bull Horns
Red Dulcetta
Aji Lemon Drop (why not start more?)
Indian Jwala
Ot Hiem
Pepperoncini
Trinidad Perfume
Golden Marconi

Nonpeppers:
Purple and Green Tomatillos

Added 8/11, Hogleg's trade
Goatweed

seeds from Pepperlover:

Bradleys Bahamian
Pimenta da Neyde
Bishop's Hat/ Orchid (PI 497974)
Brazilian Starfish (PI 439368)

Then some more normal varieties:
Anaheims
Cayenne

And I have a wonderful Ornamental Black Prince (which has some great hot peppers :) )
but it won't be necessarily updated in the grow log.

Wish List:
Burning Bush!

I will post pictures as soon as I have established seedlings, and I'll update when I transplant, flower, etc. I'm just germinating now, doing a nute soak right now and it'll go into the bags after, I have high success this way with anything that's not beans..

I like the Pepper community, I got my seeds from Pepperseedman1971 and he threw in several awesome bonuses including some of his Peach Bhut powder, so good. Can't wait to make my own :)

Thanks guys for reading, have a great day.

Thanks guys, I like my selection too, I feel confident about it. Next year I'll buy some mild/sweet varieties that I like if I don't like my banana peppers. I just hope everything will grow in a desert-ish clime over here, we don't sport much humidity. That said, I've got to go talk to a pepper guy who I bought my Black Prince from, he also sold me my first Bhut but I killed it, after which, I set myself to discover how I killed it, and that led to this new addiction. :D I'm sure this pepper guy could tell me how his fare, considering he grew the plant.

I want to top half my plants, I'll be planting them all in topsy turvy's and I want robust bushes instead of sprawls that get in each other's way. I'm also only doing half because it'll be my first grow and I'm a scientist. Need a control!! :D I'll be trying to grow atleast 2 of each variety as to make this a good study for me.

I would like to know people's opinions on topping height for the peppers mentioned above.. some threads mentioned 14" getting good results, anyone feel the same?

Pictures are forthcoming :)

I would suggest not using Topsy turvys to grow peppers especially in the desert! You will really have trouble keeping them moist enough, especially as they get bigger!good luck on your grow!

My Topsy Turvy Trees, I really like this design and this year or next I plan on adding my own touches to them by using fabric pots so they can be grown individually and still hanging.. I appreciate your thoughts Chef, but I'm seriously determined to keep them hydrated, I even have plans for drip irrigation piped to each one. For a sense of scale, the second one from the right has a pumpkin plant sticking out of it that's about a foot long if not taller.

This is a picture of my germination setup, I cut coffee filters in half and used each corner to pocket seeds and they could be written on. I felt pretty proud of this idea. They are left covered outside in the shade, it stays more than hot enough, I've had much better success outdoors than indoors.

Future pictures will be thumbnails with bigger pictures behind them, I uploaded them too small :(

Slizarus said:
Future pictures will be thumbnails with bigger pictures behind them, I uploaded them too small :(
I suggest using imgur.com, its pretty neat... Hopefully you get some to germ soon, neat idea w/ the coffee filters...

Thanks for the suggestion. Whatever I did seems pretty effective, I set them out in trays yesterday and I had a Bell pepper pop along with two summer squash and I think my Peach Bhut too! But it could be excess membrane that I didn't notice before. Time will tell. :)

This is a shot of my Black Prince, we bought it with my Bhut Jolokia plant, but I killed that with water, this is our survivor :) I have learned my lesson. Notice the shiny black pod on top, it's a lovely plant. It also shoots out purple flowers. The pods ripen to red, and they have a great heat to 'em :)

These are my generic seedlings, finally out in the shade. Note: None of these are Peppers! Those wonders are soon to come.

I have some Pumpkins, beans, lots of tomatoes and several cucumbers.

The addiction doesn't end.. my GFs dad and my likely future father in law is Jamaican and has a side business catering hot jerked meats.

I bet you know where I'm going with this, sure I have the chocolate hab but we all know this one's different, yes, that's right, I ordered Jamaican Hot Chocolate seeds, I hope it breeds true I really want to give him a back home taste.

Also, I did the math and I have more space for plants... so I am currently soaking more peach bhut, chocolate and Orange habs, butch ts, and more 7 pot whites.. I'm hoping they'll grow well :)

Went to Lowes in search for Tabasco peppers, and in a moment of indecision between getting Tabascos and the Hot Thais (didn't expect to see 'em) I actually ended up get the Sweet Snacking pepper, a little orange pepper that is supposedly close to seedless and with low heat is great to pick and snack. I got it for my GF :)

And got a Purple Cherokee Tomato for me. Will post pictures of plants soon :)

Went back to Lowes, bought Tabasco, hot Thai, red hot cherry, pimiento, and Gypsy today.

Planted them, looking great, I'll add pictures of the garden so far later.

Also, named all my plants as a memory exercise and to build more comraderie between myself and my gardens Denizens.

I may have lost it when I named my hot Thai General Cao Cao though. :)

I have over 40 pepper seedlings sprouted with several more varieties coming in the mail soon. The only plants I don't have seedlings of yet are bhut red and bhut purple, I have atleast 1 of everything else

Psh, I've been bogarting my pepper pictures!

:)

Here's my Hot Red Cherry, forms fruit real fast, had flowers on it last week.

XI81Mgql.jpg

Tabasco and Gypsy

2dkqzMfl.jpg

Japanese Eggplant and Mantis friend:

O56IaMKl.jpg

Cherokee Purple Tomato and some Purple Basil

IgdyRRgl.jpg

Semi Stripped Pimiento, doing pretty good now

2c4sdPil.jpg

Orange Sweet Snacking Pepper

xb7KtBQl.jpg

Mostly Tomato seedlings:

M8DKN9Al.jpg

A pot full of Butch T Scorpions

ZbWjyf3l.jpg

Marked Pepper seedlings :)

LU47dXRl.jpg

The garden at the moment, positions are still a WIP, especially since most of my plants aren't ready to be in the tree planters.
q1Rj7qJl.jpg

Got 12 more seed varieties today in the mail, close to last pickup, my garden can't sustain many more :D I'll be doing a trade when I get some stamps though.

Pictures soon, also got another goody :)

My Goodies! I've been waiting all week for this. I got a starter kit from King Denniz and an Aji Dulce seed pack from iKeepFish. Many thanks guys! Anddd.. I hoped you'd be able to see it better, but I got a bag of Mykos from Amazon, I've been dying to try it forever and while some Ebay mixes were tempting, RTI has a lot going for it. I can try this test atleast :)
1JOvdP9l.jpg

Butch T looking like it has 3 cotyledons :)
GkDqseIl.jpg

More seedlings have popped out of the soil, I'm a bit concerned about my Satan's Kiss and White Habs though, they're still not out of the soil :-/ I'm just gonna be patient.
Wb8l7Edl.jpg

32 pepper seedlings above ground, 32 tomato seedlings doing the same.

I have 15 varieties that have yet to sprout though :(

Back