• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

The love of HEAT is in our DNA

So, I know I am a brand new member here, but I have a cool story I wanted to share with all of you.  I will do my best to keep it short.

Last year my 19 year old sister was diagnosed with Leukemia (everything is going well now and it is in complete remission).  I am her only sibling, and I was tested to see if I could be a match to be her stem cell donor.  Luckily I was a 100% match.  

Now, I am an extreme chilihead, and my sister is NOT.  She has never enjoyed anything spicy and avoids heat at all costs.  Her doctor let us know that after the transplant, she may start to develop certain tendencies and tastes that I have, due to her DNA becoming completely replaced by mine.

Sure enough, she loves spicy food now!  She can't get enough!  I thought it was so cool to see that our love for spicy stuff is ingrained in our DNA.  Now when I go visit her in California one of our first stops is a little hot sauce place in Lodi, CA to pick up some new things to torture ourselves with.  She isn't quite up to the extreme levels now, but she wont shy away from a habanero either!  

Enjoy the heat fellow chiliheads, it's a part of us more than we know!

Thats really cool! 

Im am very happy to hear she is doing good. I went through, I guess am still, a similar thing. My only sibling, my sister, is now in full remission after her battle with an inoperable brain tumor. She has a long road ahead still but is strong and will be fine! She doesn't like hot foods so good thing they caught it when they did!
Congrats you your sister and family.
:welcome:

Yeah, last year was possibly the worst year of my life.  But everything is on the upswing now, and she can get back to living.  So glad to hear about your sister, PrimeTime!  

I'm so glad your sister is doing well. I bet the victory is extra sweet since you got to help save her life!
     Watching a loved one succumb to untreatable cancer and being unable to do anything to help has got to be one of the most frustrating and terrifying things a person can go through. 
     I hope she likes her Guns_N_Pods DNA souvenir and continues to kick cancer's ass!

sorry to hear that about your sister, im glad she is in remission, and i hope she never has to deal with it again. best of luck to her!!

also glad to see your dna turned her into a chili head lol, we need more chili heads in the world!!!

I'm not at all surprised to hear this. I've believed for a long time that, in part, love of spicy food is genetic. There have been debates on the topic on here before. Lots of members disagree completely.

Glad your sister is doing better and I wish her all the best.

Wow thank you so much everyone!  My sister is my new inspiration, she has shown so much strength and resolve over the past year, if I could harness a fraction of it I would be so happy lol.

Pepperjack91 said:
I'm not at all surprised to hear this. I've believed for a long time that, in part, love of spicy food is genetic. There have been debates on the topic on here before. Lots of members disagree completely.

Glad your sister is doing better and I wish her all the best.

I don't disagree at all!  I can't remember a time in life in which I didn't enjoy heat.  There was no real "turning point" or whatever, I just always loved spice!  Even as a kid I would dump on the Tabasco sauce or jalapenos.  So yeah, I think we are born with it.

"Her doctor let us know that after the transplant, she may start to develop certain tendencies and tastes that I have, due to her DNA becoming completely replaced by mine."

I don't think that's how it generally works but hey, I'm no doctor lol!   Great story and glad to hear she is doing better   :welcome:

Back