• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Turbo's Slog (Hot Sauce Log with a silent H)

Instead of having a different for each sauce I want to share with folks, I decided to make a Slog...a Hot Sauce Log with a silent H.

Roasted peppers with strawberry and mango ferment (take 1)

Haven't made any hot sauce all year because I've been going through last year's surplus.  So for my first sauce of the year I figured I'd go with a ferment.  I've been jonesing something charred and fruity.

Ingredients:
roasted habaneros, rocotos, and red chilis
one red onion
3 inch hunk of ginger
head of garlic (7 cloves)
1 mango
1 pint of strawberries

I think/hope that the fruit will add enough sugar to sustain a good ferment. 

Once its finished fermenting, I'm guessing it'll be pretty two dimensional and need a little something else for richness / complexity.  I'm thinking a bit of red wine and/or apple cider vinegar and/or soy sauce would really level out the sauce.  We'll see when the time comes.

2jdkz91.jpg

Everything all ready to go in the food processor for a whirl tomorrow morning. 

300abfq.jpg

Looks awesome I think a little rice wine vinegar and soy sauce would marry nicely with the ginger.
just my 2cents.

Whoa, I just realized You better edit the title unless you got some rotten dog fur I cant see. lol
I know you dont mean mange?right. lol

greetings turbo,
Your choice of ingredients sounds tasty, i really like the combination of strawberries and mango.
One thing though, the heat of the roasting process will most likely kill the bacteria found on the peppers themselves.
I'm not sure what fermenting method you are planning to follow, and there could possibly be enough bacteria on the fruits to supply the ferment. And garlic is considered anti-bacterial, so it doesn't do much to promote the growth of the lacto bacteria either.

But the first couple days of a ferment are critical, because that's when the "good" bacteria need to multiply significantly and take control to out number the "bad" bacteria that can lead to mold and spoilage.
If you are planning on an open crock/wild fermentation approach you might get some help. But I'd suggest using a starter of some sort to get the fermentation a jump start.
Just some thoughts.
CM

I use mine on salad greens most of the time....or as a healthy sort of desert mixed in with plain yogurt (which I have an abundance of after I harvest the whey)...but it also goes great as a topping on vanilla ice cream.
CM

Chili Monsta said:
greetings turbo,
Your choice of ingredients sounds tasty, i really like the combination of strawberries and mango.
One thing though, the heat of the roasting process will most likely kill the bacteria found on the peppers themselves.
I'm not sure what fermenting method you are planning to follow, and there could possibly be enough bacteria on the fruits to supply the ferment. And garlic is considered anti-bacterial, so it doesn't do much to promote the growth of the lacto bacteria either.

But the first couple days of a ferment are critical, because that's when the "good" bacteria need to multiply significantly and take control to out number the "bad" bacteria that can lead to mold and spoilage.
If you are planning on an open crock/wild fermentation approach you might get some help. But I'd suggest using a starter of some sort to get the fermentation a jump start.
Just some thoughts.
CM

I totally forgot about garlic being a anti-bacterial, and didn't think about grilling killing off the good guys.  Thanks for the info!  I am planning on using live culture from yogurt to kick off the ferment.  Hopefully it'll be enough to start and sustain a good ferment.  There should be plenty of sugar in the mash once it kicks off.
magicpepper said:
very nice.  now this may seem dumb but what would one do with such a sweet sauce? i cant imagine strawberries and mango going with to many foods

magic, I'm planning on adding some acid (lime or vinegar), and some soy sauce post fermentation to try and balance out the flavors.  I'm hoping for a very nice combination of sweet, salty, and savory.  The fermentation should consume some of the sugar from the fruit (though I have no idea how much).  We'll see I guess.

Got the mash all setup.  About 2 tbs of greek yogurt whey, and a squish of agave syrup for no good reason.

Odd thing...I used greek yogurt to drain whey off just because I saw many other people here use greek yogurt.  Then I looked up what makes greek yogurt different from normal yogurt and saw that its just normal yogurt with most of its whey drained off.  Seems a little counter productive :)

2myx9cg.jpg

Nice looking set up turbo.....looks like you're well on your "whey"....
I also use Greek yogurt to harvest whey most of the time. Mainly because I like the "cream cheese like" consistency after the whey is drained off.
And oddly enough, I get almost the same amount of whey from a quart of Greek as I do the regular yogurt.

Chili Monsta said:
Nice looking set up turbo.....looks like you're well on your "whey"....
I also use Greek yogurt to harvest whey most of the time. Mainly because I like the "cream cheese like" consistency after the whey is drained off.
And oddly enough, I get almost the same amount of whey from a quart of Greek as I do the regular yogurt.

Yea, the left over cream cheese stuff was pretty tasty.  "Whey" less sour than the greek yogurt straight from the container.  :)

i think you'll be real happy with that one after fermenting and aging a bit. i bet it will be just fine as-is!

with that much other stuff besides the roasted peppers, you would have plenty of natural bacteria ready to go and a ready sugar supply with the mango, strawberries, and especially with the agave syrup. obviously never hurts to add some inoculant though. 

really looking forward to hearing how this turns out, sounds right up my alley!

well...nuthin.  It sat for two weeks and the ferment didn't kick off.  Maybe grilling the veggies was a bad idea, but I was hoping the whey would compensate for the lack of bacteria. 

One thing, I just read someone mention stirring the mash every day or two to help kick off the ferment.  I did not do this, as I didn't want to break the integrity of the airlock.  Is stirring a mash a common practice?  If so do you stop once the ferment has started?  Or do you keep stirring every now and then while fermentation is still active?

My plan is to try again, but skip the roasting this time. 

Back