•  

Photo

The Spicy Meatless Thread... (ya I went there)

• Please log in to reply
879 replies to this topic

#61 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 49,012 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

:rolleyes:

Way to sneak bacon into the meatless thread. How many pages are you going to keep this up for?

#62 JoynersHotPeppers

JoynersHotPeppers

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,889 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

Spicy meatless cheese omelette this morning with Joyners Caribbean Blend. It was very spicy as I over did it with the powder but still delicious. 

Easy to get a little crazy with that blend, lots of heat in there!

heatmadesimple.com Instagram and Twitter @JoynerHotPepper

#63 Weed

Weed

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

:rolleyes:

Way to sneak bacon into the meatless thread. How many pages are you going to keep this up for?

dammit i knew it was going to look that way! I seriously wasnt even that time. But my cast stuff does not look that good.

Rawk knows I am pro vegetarian. And she snuck an egg right into her own meatless thread in the first post.

I guess I should have just said "Hey TB what do you use to season your pans cuz they look nice?"

Edited by mx5inpa, 29 June 2014 - 03:08 PM.

We are airy nothings.

#64 geeme

geeme

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts
  • (x1)

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

I use Crisco for my CI, and it looks good. What do you use?

And it appears you missed my point. But I'll save that for another time, in another thread.

Vision w/o action is merely a dream. Action w/o vision just passes time. Vision with action can change the world. - JOEL BARKER

#65 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 49,012 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:11 PM

dammit i knew it was going to look that way! I seriously wasnt even that time. But my cast stuff does not look that good.

Rawk knows I am pro vegetarian. And she snuck an egg right into her own meatless thread in the first post.

I guess I should have just said "Hey TB what do you use to season your pans cuz they look nice?"

I believe you. Grape seed oil. Neutral oil with high smoke point. You don't want a low smoke point oil, or if you cook something like a burger on high heat with no oil, the seasoning will start to smoke.

And no, it will not go rancid.

#66 Tinnie

Tinnie

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:49 AM

Lemon garlic chilli roast potatoes (theres more chilli than appears in the photo i swear  :D

2014-06-30200818_zpse081f743.jpg

Edited by Tinnie, 03 July 2014 - 02:51 AM.

#67 Jeff H

Jeff H

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

I believe you. Grape seed oil. Neutral oil with high smoke point. You don't want a low smoke point oil, or if you cook something like a burger on high heat with no oil, the seasoning will start to smoke.

Excellent point boss man. Next time I season a pan I will look for grape seed oil. I generally use canola because we always have it around. I had terrible luck with Crisco the couple of times I used it. For me it gets tacky not slick with Crisco and food sticks.  Anything I seasoned with Crisco has since been stripped and reseasoned with canola. But like Dan said, you have to keep the heat low with canola or it smokes.

For Real, in my kitchen!  ...Or if not, then we'll be at Scovie's watching him rub his butt...

#68 mecdave

mecdave

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • aka:Rat Fink

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

Yep, higher smoke point than even peanut oil, and the best part is, it's virtually flavorless.

I marinate fruits and veggies with soy sauce and ginger for a couple hours, then drain off the juices and add a couple ounces of grapeseed oil to the bag to coat, then throw them on the grill.

It wouldn't be Blazing Saddles without the beans.

#69 SavinaRed

SavinaRed

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:00 PM

My Poblano Peppers are almost ready to pick and I will be posting some nice Spicy Chili Rellenos 

#70 spysee

spysee

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

I have a couple good dishes I'll get around to posting

Mx5, stop acting like you don't know some people are fine with "symbiotic" relationships with animals. But before you do, please defend your argument that hair is meat. Certainly if milk and eggs are hair must be too, right?

There behind a glass is a real blade of grass; be careful as you pass; move along! move along!

#71 Rawkstah

Rawkstah

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

Pulled out the grill, filled it with hardwood lump charcoal and some mesquite chips... roasted red peppers, leeks, marinated mushrooms, garlic, and some olive oil and seasoned eggplant.  Had some french bread baking, so I made sandwiches with provolone, fresh shaved Parmesan, and marinara sauce.  Spiced up the marinara sauce with some smoked powder from JustAGuy and also dusted some of that on top too.  It was amazing.  

yxKg4j3.jpg?1

#72 texas blues

texas blues

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 17,593 posts
  • aka:TB
  • (x4)

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:05 AM

My kine'o eats Rawk.

Save me some.

#73 SavinaRed

SavinaRed

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

Pulled out the grill, filled it with hardwood lump charcoal and some mesquite chips... roasted red peppers, leeks, marinated mushrooms, garlic, and some olive oil and seasoned eggplant.  Had some french bread baking, so I made sandwiches with provolone, fresh shaved Parmesan, and marinara sauce.  Spiced up the marinara sauce with some smoked powder from JustAGuy and also dusted some of that on top too.  It was amazing.  

yxKg4j3.jpg?1

Nice job with the meatless !!

#74 JayT

JayT

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 20,167 posts
  • aka:Bunny Commander
  • (x7)
  • (x1)

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

That sure is pretty.

#75 SavinaRed

SavinaRed

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

Garden fresh basil,tomato jalapeno,serrano and pablano peppers

Attached Thumbnails

• garden pizza3.jpg

Edited by SavinaRed, 08 July 2014 - 06:28 PM.

#76 Rawkstah

Rawkstah

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

Garden fresh tomatoes are where its at.  And the poblanos, can't go wrong there! I usually pick those up when i'm at the produce market.  I did one of those juice cleanse things before and I would throw a poblano in the juice for a little spice.  

Last night I made a smoked alfredo sauce with smoked gouda, smoked yellow 7 pot powder, a ton of parmesan, garlic and cream.  I tossed it over raw zucchini, no pics, but I did have extra sauce so this morning I made my dude some breakfast while he got ready for work.  MX is gunna love all the cheese and egg up in this meatless dish.  English muffin, layer of smoked gouda, poached egg, nutritional yeast flakes, and asparagus tossed in the left over alfredo sauce.  Topped with some left over bruschetta tomatoes and an extra pinch of powder.  

q7grl2t.jpg?1

#77 Weed

Weed

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

Garden fresh tomatoes are where its at.  And the poblanos, can't go wrong there! I usually pick those up when i'm at the produce market.  I did one of those juice cleanse things before and I would throw a poblano in the juice for a little spice.  

Last night I made a smoked alfredo sauce with smoked gouda, smoked yellow 7 pot powder, a ton of parmesan, garlic and cream.  I tossed it over raw zucchini, no pics, but I did have extra sauce so this morning I made my dude some breakfast while he got ready for work.  MX is gunna love all the cheese and egg up in this meatless dish.  English muffin, layer of smoked gouda, poached egg, nutritional yeast flakes, and asparagus tossed in the left over alfredo sauce.  Topped with some left over bruschetta tomatoes and an extra pinch of powder.  

q7grl2t.jpg?1

You tryina troll me? Well the dirty dish worked.

We are airy nothings.

#78 Pepperjack91

Pepperjack91

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • aka:PJ, "pepper hater"

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

MX, tell us why hair is meat.

"Those who think they have no time for exercise, will eventually have to make time for illness."

#79 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 49,012 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

Please stay on topic, thank you.

#80 Rawkstah

Rawkstah

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

Dinner last night was seitan gyros. I never think to take photos of the whole process, but last night was quite the process.  I started by making the dough for the pita bread, I just looked up a recipe on google for that.  While the dough was rising I made the stock and dough for the seitan.  Seitan is wheat meat, if you've never heard of it.  I loosely follow this recipe http://www.theppk.co...omemade-seitan/ but I doctor up the seasoning part to my liking, aka add in some powders, and I use more of the nutritional yeast flakes because I think they taste kinda like cheese.  

The tzatziki sauce came next, and after that the pita dough was ready to hit the griddle pan.  The last step to this ordeal was to cut up the now done and rested seitan and pan fry it a bit with more typical gyro seasonings.  I used cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, smoked paprika, smoked bhut powder, oregano, garlic, and some onion powder.  

Load up the pita with the wheatmeat, tomatoes, onion, cucumbers, and tzatziki and nom away!

vwoHSsr.jpg

(the things in the background are more wheatmeat pieces, I keep them in the stock in the fridge until the next time I am going to use it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests