• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OF1's 2014 grow.

SO after losing all my overwinter pepper plants from the last few years it has been a rebuild year. My grow list is the best assortment this year as it has ever been and the plants are thriving so far.

Grow list as of now

chinense
3 7pot bubblegum
3 7pot yellow
1 7pot primo
2 reaper
3 jigsaw  (baker pepper)
2 moruga scorpion chocolate
2 fatalii
3 bhut jolokia 
1 habanero hot
3 habanero ?
1 Cheiro
1 peruvian serlano
2 wild brazil

baccatuum
1 inca surprise
2 lemon drop

frutescens
2 tabasco

annuum
1 piquin lg black
2 serrano
1 thai hot
2 yellow pepper from mexico

other species
2 cobincho  (exile)

Most of my grow is going on in pots and in greenhouse so long season here in the northwest for me. Have a few trays of seed starting right now so list will grow more still.

Here are a few pictures of my peppers. After much thought I am using a fert mix of bat and seabird guano, kelp meal, worm castings and other goodies for the soil/plants.

bubblegum
IMAG0927.jpg

Primo
IMAG0926.jpg

Jigsaw   (bakers peppers)
IMAG0925.jpg

Reaper  ( bakers peppers)
IMAG0912.jpg

One of these first 4 plants pictured above will be given away as a prize at our northwest chili fest this sept. I will continue to post update pics of them as they grow out.

Here is a picture of some of my plants starting to bloom and set pods.
IMAG0907.jpg

Some of the young plants from ChilePlants.com
IMAG0740.jpg

one of my bhuts
IMAG0914.jpg

Here is a lemon drop
IMAG0913.jpg

onefowl1 said:

Here is a over two foot thai chili loading up on pods as it keeps flowering. Notice the four fused pod forming in center of cluster.
IMAG0920.jpg
That's pretty knarly....

Here are a few more pics showing growth of plants.
Bhut both the top and the bottom growth of the plant. In a #7 squat pot I believe and at this rate will need to be potted up to a larger pot like maybe a #15. Both the top of the main stem and the bottom growth are about 2 ft wide and hogging the other plants out.
IMAG0961.jpg

IMAG0964.jpg

So here are the two newly potted about two weeks ago peppers that kicked off my glog three days ago to show growth in the timeframe. The Primo was topped during shipping to me by my guess rough postal handling but all is good. The BBG7pot is stretching its stem between nodes even on the growth from before I had it and potted it up.
IMAG0948.jpg

IMAG0949.jpg

Here are better pics of some pods on my plants.
IMAG0970.jpg

IMAG0971.jpg

And a not so clear shot from a young Fatalii plants first pod. I only let the one plant of my two set one fruit and picked the rest to let them grow more first. Just about three days since flower petal drop.
IMAG0954.jpg

Here is a shot of my new round of seeds started, Got to love having a yr round heated greenhouse for the winter time.
IMAG0972.jpg

Primo update.
IMAG1008.jpg

BBG7 from the top view then side.
IMAG1007.jpg

IMAG1006.jpg

cobincho  (exile) with first pods
IMAG1010.jpg

A bakers peppers Jigsaw fatalii. when I got these a few weeks back they were like 4 to 6 inches tall but are growing like mad.
IMAG1005.jpg

and here is a reaper from bakers peppers as well, only time will tell if they are what they are supposed to be.
IMAG1004.jpg

This is a large black piquin from chiliplants.com
IMAG1003.jpg

This is a new flower on a pepper gave to me as a Boonie pepper. It is still a yellow flower like the flowers that were on it when I got it.
IMAG1009.jpg

Here is an update of a thai mutant pod I have on a plant.
IMAG0990.jpg

Here is a non pepper plant in flower that I grew this year. It is a double butterfly pea and yes it lives at the bar at the nursery.
IMAG0987.jpg

Here are a few more pics to share with you all.

First are of my two serrano plants currently my tallest pepper plants right now and the tallest serranos i have ever had.
Tallest is just about 45 inches tallest branch that sprang up this last week.
IMAG1114.jpg

Second plant is sitting at 32 inches tall.
IMAG1115.jpg

Top view of one.
IMAG1145.jpg

My thai hot at 32 inches.
IMAG1117.jpg

I had under guessed all three of these plants until I checked them with a tape. 

Here are some of my first pods forming on my plants now.
Fatalii
IMAG1123.jpg

First ghost pepper pods setting.
IMAG1121.jpg

IMAG1120.jpg

Super chili
IMAG1135.jpg

Unknown habanero had three of these and kept two. All were about three feet tall.
IMAG1131.jpg

mutant thai pod still growing.
IMAG1082-1.jpg

Pod updates.
chenzo pods
IMAG1836.jpg

A unknown pepper from a friend brought from his family home in Mexico. supposed to be a yellow pod but we should know soon enough.
IMAG1831.jpg

Thai dragon
IMAG1830.jpg

super chili ripening 
IMAG1828.jpg

tall unknown hab pods starting to color
IMAG1827.jpg

unknown hab pods
IMAG1825.jpg

orange hab pods getting very good sized in the greenhouse.
IMAG1824.jpg

Ghost pod
IMAG1820.jpg

Fatalii pods
IMAG1819.jpg

My first bubblegum 7pot pod forming
IMAG1816.jpg

Yes I am lucky as between greenhouses and hoop houses we are about 8,000 sq feet of growing space but as of now only about 600 sq ft is open for my peppers.

onefowl1 said:
Yes I am lucky as between greenhouses and hoop houses we are about 8,000 sq feet of growing space but as of now only about 600 sq ft is open for my peppers.

Add me to the envy list!  Great progress you've got going.  You've got a few unknowns growing.  Those should be fun to experience.

dlsolo said:

Add me to the envy list!  Great progress you've got going.  You've got a few unknowns growing.  Those should be fun to experience.
Yes unknown only in variety though not in pepper. I was hoping the really tall habs would be something other than orange but in just 24 hrs bam two ripe bright clear orange pods, will pull them tomorrow night after work and try them. The unknown from Mexico via a friend who works with me is a yellow frutescens of some type, few more weeks and I should be able to taste this one also.

As far as the greenhouse grow it has its own challenges to pull off. For example with the high temps getting some of the peppers to set pods and not be pollen sterile, watering daily deeply and some days a second watering lightly to offset moisture loss due to temps and airflow , those damn spider mites ( though it has been only two plants that got it the worst). Also at the rate it is going I will run out of available room as my plants keep growing. I just last week doubled their space out from each other and already some are touching each other again.
My biggest no pun intended growth in growing peppers this year was not the greenhouses but the using of bat and seabird guano. I have grown in smaller greenhouses before for at least part of the season but have never used these guano's. All my plants are shooting past in all ways anything I have had before. I cringed at the prices of good guano in the amounts I needed at first but now think why have I not used it before. Others who have come to the nursery have went away with the clear thought of buying and using it themselves now with the things they grow. I had but now have converted the remaining plants ones being grown with chemical ferts and others with other organic ferts side by side with my guano plants. After just a few weeks my guano plants were twice as big as the other organic plants and almost four times that of the non organic fert plants. 

Here are some pics to show what I mean and remember even though they are in a greenhouse I am in western washington.
Jigsaw fatalii from Bakers peppers
IMAG1834.jpg

IMAG1833.jpg

Reaper again another from Bakers peppers
IMAG1541.jpg

IMAG1550.jpg

Beautiful plants!! I wish I could make it out to the NW fest. I'm over in spokane. Maybe next year.
That mutant Thai is really cool and interesting

Hello all the peppers are producing well and I have loads of pics to share but being on a tablet mostly is making it hard to. I finally got photobucket working right with the tablet, just need to figure how to post with pics from the tablet now.

Back