• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Stripping peppers off Immature Plants

Just a question for the wise sages on this list, or anyone with more growing experience than me.

I started my Cracked Jalapenos (pepperlover) at the same time I started the suppers this year, and the Jalapenos blossomed while still inside.  Since I transplanted planted them in the garden, the peppers are growing, but the plant is still the same size.  I am talking about a Jalapeno with 4-10 peppers on it, but the plant is about 6-8 inches tall!  I figured that maybe they were putting all their energy into fruiting rather than vegetive growth, so I picked all the fruit off the plants to see if that will improve the situation and allow them to gain a lot more growth and branching.

So the question is:  Has anyone else done this and did it help get the plant back on the path of growing in height and width before they started producing peppers again?  Or did I muck it up?

Thanks for any thoughts you can share

Yep. That's a pretty common practice. And yep, it will force it to refocus its energy into vegetative growth rather than reproductive growth

yes it happens for many kinds not just jalapenos, some plants set fruits even they are not big enough in size, good thing to pick them pods and allow more branches to grow 

Well, in my experience there's a period after you strip 'em that they readjust, if you feel like you still have atleast 4 months left in your growing season, definitely let it veg and grow for another 8 weeks and then let it flower if it's at a height you're comfortable with.

That said, I don't know Seattle's expected conditions. But if you want it to grow, yes, take it off. It's putting all it's energy into reproduction, It makes it especially important to be watchful on slow growing plants (just my musings about Carnivorous plants.. Flytraps often shoot up buds and then do nothing for the rest of the year while they're still there..)

I have seen it go both ways .

Plants should usually continue to grow while producing peppers just maybe not as fast as we would like .

Could be other factors as to why your plant is not growing ? 

By removing buds and flowers and possibly upping the nitrogen level in your soil it should help produce more upward and outward growth . 

Buzz said:
Yep. That's a pretty common practice. And yep, it will force it to refocus its energy into vegetative growth rather than reproductive growth
Buzz, thanks, At least I know I have not done them in!

PepperLover said:
yes it happens for many kinds not just jalapenos, some plants set fruits even they are not big enough in size, good thing to pick them pods and allow more branches to grow 
Judy,  Thanks for the feedback,  I am really looking forward to these, as I have had such great success with other peppers I got from you.  This helps

Slizarus said:
Well, in my experience there's a period after you strip 'em that they readjust, if you feel like you still have atleast 4 months left in your growing season, definitely let it veg and grow for another 8 weeks and then let it flower if it's at a height you're comfortable with.

That said, I don't know Seattle's expected conditions. But if you want it to grow, yes, take it off. It's putting all it's energy into reproduction, It makes it especially important to be watchful on slow growing plants (just my musings about Carnivorous plants.. Flytraps often shoot up buds and then do nothing for the rest of the year while they're still there..)
Slizarus, In Seattle we are just now getting to the good warm time of year (for the Pacific NW), so if we get a normal warm summer, they should recover.  Got my fingers crossed and will be watching to see how this experiment works out.  Nothing like a hands on learning lesson

romy6 said:
 I have seen it go both ways .

Plants should usually continue to grow while producing peppers just maybe not as fast as we would like .

Could be other factors as to why your plant is not growing ? 

By removing buds and flowers and possibly upping the nitrogen level in your soil it should help produce more upward and outward growth . 
Romy,  Thanks,  I alway debate if I should just not worry them and let it be, but they were so small, I figued the branched might break if the peppers got any bigger or normal size.  I will see about upping  the feed for these plants and see if I get get them going again.

Thanks to everyone for the info, some times I just need to be tols I did not muck it up to bad!

Bill

Nope. You haven't done them in. That being said, I usually let the plant tell me when it's mature, rather than me trying to decide when it's ready to put on fruit. I let them do their own thing with little intervention from me.

Buzz said:
Nope. You haven't done them in. That being said, I usually let the plant tell me when it's mature, rather than me trying to decide when it's ready to put on fruit. I let them do their own thing with little intervention from me.
I like that philosophy , because the plant is blooming for a reason right....but I'm sure everyone has their reasons which is cool, that's why this hobby is so awesome..all the different approaches to one ultimate goal of having tasty hot pods...

I just need a mantra that I can follow when growing my peppers.  "Relax and don't worry them so much"  Fussing them can take the fun right out of it. 

Th problem is, I know it, and then I worry them anyway!  Habits are hard to change.

I am retiring in a month, and figure I will be out in the garden a lot, assigning action items and ECD's!

I've got some 14" Jimmy Nardello plants with 4-5" pods. Also, some 11" Serrano plants loading up with pods. I'm not touching them, unless they need extra support to stay upright.

Buzz said:
Action items.... lol!!!!! Sounds like MY workplace! E&AT..... Event and action tool....
Buzz,  Well, my wife is too smart to let me "manage" her so I am left with the dogs and the peppers.  It will be just like work,  in that no one will listen to me here either!  I figure I will be a professional putzer!

Roguejim said:
I've got some 14" Jimmy Nardello plants with 4-5" pods. Also, some 11" Serrano plants loading up with pods. I'm not touching them, unless they need extra support to stay upright.
RJ, 
It will be interesting to see how they turn out.  I figure this is just one more experiment, since if it does not work out, I can always revert to farmers market for my Jalapenos, but I prefer to grow my own, because of the control over the varieties.  Plus I can let them get red and ripe to make some killer Chipotle.  Brisket with a Chipotle rub is something I look forward to every year.  
I have not tried the Jimmy Nardellos yet, although I see a lot of folks grow them.  Do you fry them up?

The first year I grew a superhot I didn't get a single ripe pod. So now I leave all pods on despite growth :)

How has your watering been? Keeping it continually moist can hinder root spread and thus plant size.

bpwilly said:
Buzz,  Well, my wife is too smart to let me "manage" her so I am left with the dogs and the peppers.  It will be just like work,  in that no one will listen to me here either!  I figure I will be a professional putzer!

RJ, 
It will be interesting to see how they turn out.  I figure this is just one more experiment, since if it does not work out, I can always revert to farmers market for my Jalapenos, but I prefer to grow my own, because of the control over the varieties.  Plus I can let them get red and ripe to make some killer Chipotle.  Brisket with a Chipotle rub is something I look forward to every year.  
I have not tried the Jimmy Nardellos yet, although I see a lot of folks grow them.  Do you fry them up?

Apparently, fried is a traditional way of preparing them.  But, you should try them raw, too.  I'm letting all the serranos ripen to red on the plants for a sauce I want to make. 

Spicy Mushroom said:
The first year I grew a superhot I didn't get a single ripe pod. So now I leave all pods on despite growth :)

How has your watering been? Keeping it continually moist can hinder root spread and thus plant size.
Watering has been very sparse, since this is the Pacific NW and until later in the summer, I normally do not have to water much.  Get lots of free rain!.  But most of my other plants seem to be doing ok, which is why I figured it was because I let them blossom to early.  I am thinking about changing my timing and not starting the Chinense and Annuum at the same time.

Roguejim said:

Apparently, fried is a traditional way of preparing them.  But, you should try them raw, too.  I'm letting all the serranos ripen to red on the plants for a sauce I want to make. 
Great to know that they taste good raw.  I grew some Pasilla Bajio - or Holy Mole last year, and they tasted real good raw (touch of apple - surprised me)  nothing like the dried version which is good as well.

Spicy Mushroom said:

YES! You have to make those roots go deep searching for water

I too was wondering this awhile back. The plants were only 7- 8 inches tall, and putting out tons of flowers. Most of all my blossoms dropped due to heat. Now my plants are starting to grow again. I think it was a combination of blossom drop and root growth. Same thing happened last year. I get a Fall harvest on the Supers here in Colorado. Everything else I harvest throughout the Summer. Knock on wood. Good luck with whatever you may decide.

Have a good weekend

Chuck

Back