• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

First attempt at hot fruit rollups

I followed a base recipe I found online at http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/06/27/homemade-fruit-roll-ups-recipe-alana-chernila/. I was amused at the note to add 1/2 tsp of cayenne powder to make an adults only version. So I wondered what this would make it.
IpBLq0Ql.jpg

I had just gotten my box of mixed peppers from Sicman, which looked awesome by the way.
TEDDuTjl.jpg

So the recipe I used was:
16 oz of strawberries
1.6 oz of hot peppers (Starting with a 10:1 fruit to pepper ratio)
1 cup applesauce
1/3 cup honey
3 limes, juice only

LBmuMqyl.jpg

I chopped everything up and put in the ninja, and pureed. 

NNoy2Oel.jpg

I have a Presto Dehydro dehydrator and bought some inserts made for this, only had to pour the stuff in once it was blended.

1wKdRfrl.jpg

I let the dehydrator run for about 19 hours.

Then peeled it off.

Euf41Hsl.jpg

I laid each piece on some parchment paper, rolled up, and cut with scissors. 

lPMaRWXl.jpg

5Tzuojal.jpg

oF57Cf3l.jpg

I put 3-4 each in small ziplocs, and placed all those bags in one big ziploc. I'm not sure how long they'll keep like that, or if I need to freeze or refrigerate them. I'll give some away to friends.

I should probably call this 'Lava Leather'. It's VERY hot and sweet. A little goes a long way. For the next batch I might add a little more fruit and back off on the pepper some, not much but some. Probably will experiment more when my peppers start coming in.

Any thoughts on this process, or suggestions?

dash 2 said:

Yeah. I think I'm gonna steal your recipe!  :D

Also, am I missing something or did you not tell us what kind of peppers those were?

You know, I'm really not sure. They taste good, and very hot.  I'm thinking most of them are some kind of scorpion maybe? I'm going to ask Sicman.

I followed a base recipe I found online at http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/06/27/homemade-fruit-roll-ups-recipe-alana-chernila/. I was amused at the note to add 1/2 tsp of cayenne powder to make an adults only version. So I wondered what this would make it.
IpBLq0Ql.jpg

I had just gotten my box of mixed peppers from Sicman, which looked awesome by the way.
TEDDuTjl.jpg

So the recipe I used was:
16 oz of strawberries
1.6 oz of hot peppers (Starting with a 10:1 fruit to pepper ratio)
1 cup applesauce
1/3 cup honey
3 limes, juice only

LBmuMqyl.jpg

I chopped everything up and put in the ninja, and pureed. 

NNoy2Oel.jpg

I have a Presto Dehydro dehydrator and bought some inserts made for this, only had to pour the stuff in once it was blended.

1wKdRfrl.jpg

I let the dehydrator run for about 19 hours.

Then peeled it off.

Euf41Hsl.jpg

I laid each piece on some parchment paper, rolled up, and cut with scissors. 

lPMaRWXl.jpg

5Tzuojal.jpg

I put 3-4 each in small ziplocs, and placed all those bags in one big ziploc. I'm not sure how long they'll keep like that, or if I need to freeze or refrigerate them. I'll give some away to friends.

I should probably call this 'Lava Leather'. It's VERY hot and sweet. A little goes a long way. For the next batch I might add a little more fruit and back off on the pepper some, not much but some. Probably will experiment more when my peppers start coming in.

Any thoughts on this process, or suggestions?

Yeah, how much is shipping? ;-)

Peter S said:

You know, I'm really not sure. They taste good, and very hot.  I'm thinking most of them are some kind of scorpion maybe? I'm going to ask Sicman.
yup scorpions. 

i want some hot fruit roll ups bad now. im going to give this a shot soon.

Looks good and sounds pretty hot, I wouldn't mind doing something similar with some baccatums or something a little milder and citrusy

So, my first mistake was I didn't layer anything on the plastic tray so it was difficult to peel off but not impossible. I have since read that a cooking spray, oil, or line with parchment paper prevents this. Second thing I would change is to cut back on the peppers from two to one until I have a greater tolerance. It was good and edible, just not as enjoyable than I would prefer it. Other than that I look forward to my next time.

Im thinking for taste perhaps - black berry, jalapeno, lemon juice, applesauce, honey
                                              - strawberry, scotch bonnet moa, banana, lime juice, applesauce, honey

Opinions? Any good combinations you guys can think of fruit wise?

suggest using a ripe jalapeno or red Fresno with the blackberry.  I don't think I'd like the green jalapeno taste with the fruits.  That's just based on my personal tastes that I don't like fruit jams made with green jalapenos. 

I*ve had this thread bookmarked since loooooong before I actually joined THP and was still a lurker. I*d been meaning to make these for a long time, but kept forgetting about it. The perfect opportunity presented itself the other day, so I jumped on it...

With all of this quarantine/COVID crap going on, most (or is it all?) of the country*s schools have been closed for quite some time. Since most of the kids parents aren*t working due to the shutdown, my town has been giving out three meals a day for each kid (student) under 18 years of age. Basically a drive thru, at a designated time on your designated day, determined by the first letter of your last name. You pull up, pop your trunk, they throw a big box of food in there, and you*re off.

Aaaaaaanyway..... they*ve been sending home these fruit cups that my kids aren*t crazy about, and they*ve been piling up in my fridge:
50CEB0A7-1201-4A44-821C-C8DE4D26AFFF.jpeg

EC4BAEA0-6F4B-4DD2-A43D-B54ED31B757F.jpeg

698D3DF0-FD4C-4C21-A98C-18487D7F4A22.jpeg

I didn*t want to waste them, soooo...
2077E799-C469-4F88-8119-8D1840AC6615.jpeg

I*m also trying to use up some of the frozen pods in my freezer...
7C6D437F-CA05-41C7-A091-CE3AA2AA391D.jpeg

BZZZZZZZZZZ!!!
F48A3F98-BC8A-4D84-84B2-02C9E9299451.jpeg

Pour it onto some parchment paper on the dehydrator trays...
EC373DE6-9E3A-4940-A2EE-A69956671ED1.jpeg

At 130*F (54.4*C) for about 24 hours, and I was left with this...
372738C4-8FAC-4D09-9F60-2493909D58FD.jpeg

CCA83B85-3A2A-4E43-86AC-776E19FEB12B.jpeg

I think this is a pretty good thickness right here. I still have another 2 trays on that I must*ve poured too thick because they*re not done yet...
9497DADE-1126-449E-9ED3-BDDFFFDBCA08.jpeg

Nom nom nom nom...
932E57BF-E713-4130-9208-C2FD094A7ED5.jpeg

Stuff is tasty!!!
8A235A0F-C56A-404E-B607-791DDBE3F579.jpeg

Recipe I used:
-5 strawberry cups (4.5oz each)
-1/4 cup white sugar
-2 teaspoons lemon juice
-2 teaspoons agave nectar
-2 frozen Carolina Reapers

It lit my tongue up pretty good, and got me sweating a little on my brow

Try *em out if you ever have 578 cups of fruit *stuff* that your kids don*t wanna eat! :rofl:
(I used the mixed berry ones and applesauce cups for zero heat ones for the kids. Those were tasty too )

Thanks for looking

:cheers:

Back